Mac OS12.0.1 problem connecting to G-Drive Mobile USB-C

Thanks for the update. I just updated to Monterey V12.1 and the G drive works perfectly. I appreciate everyones input on this feed. Hope it works for everyone else!

1 Like

Iā€™ve also just updated to Monterey V12.1 and my G drive now appears to be working as expected. The light on the front is flashing away and its displayed in Finder (with a spinning icon to the right of the drive name). I use my G drive for Time Machine backups and a backup has completed since I upgraded. I just hope that the spinning icon in Finder disappears eventually.

The error received was unable to mount, error 0. I also tried to erase the drive and to reformat. Result is unresponsive, light just blinks, drive is running but nothing happens. I spoke to one of your techs about two weeks ago and he said that my 4TB G-Force was not compatible with this new Apple Operating System. My older 1 TB is okā€¦ SUGGESTIONS

Yes, the upgrade to 12.01 fixed the issue. My G Force 4TB is working now.

Hi, Iā€™ve updated to 12.1 and still having this issue. My G-Drive USB-C 10TB is recognized by disk utility but will not mount. Iā€™m on a macbook pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro chip. Anyone else having this issue?

Hi there, can you share which apple cable you bought? I tried to search on apple website but couldnā€™t figure out which one is the right one. thanks!
Helen

Hello Helen.
While troubleshooting with an Apple Sr. Advisor to resolve the issue, he helped me discover that the cable somehow was ā€œblownā€ - unclear if the 12.01 upgrade cause it or it was serendipitous.

However, he offered to send me a new usb-c to usb-c cable to see if the problem gets resolve.

So he sent me the cable in the image below (from Apple online Store) - once I got it, it worked perfectly and I ditched my old non-Apple usb-c/usb-c cable which had come with the GDrive, and have continued with the Apple Cable and itā€™s been working like a charm. Hope this helps. All the best.
Kavian.

Kavian M. Goharderakhshan
+1 (630) 215-8695

thank you so so much! I ended up purchasing a external drive from apple website. we will see if that works. itā€™s nice that they gave you the cable for free!
Helen

Thank you for sharing this info about the cable. It turns out not all usb-c cables are created alike! I tried connecting my WD Passport to my M1 MacBook Pro over usb-c and it just wouldnā€™t work, no matter which of the three usb-c ports I tried. They all behaved slightly differently, for some of them the drive showed up in Disk Utility (but would not mount), for others it didnā€™t show up at all, but none of them workedā€¦ When I switched to using a usb-c to usb-a cable and connecting the drive to a usb-c hub (using usb-a port), it finally mountedā€¦ BUT after a while the drive would stop working, I thought maybe it went to sleep and then would not wake up. But I tried turning off sleeping the drive in the OS and it didnā€™t seem to make any difference.

Anyway, after finding this thread, I tried ordering some new cables, including a Nimaso combined Thunderbolt 4 and usb-c cable, and the drive mounted over usb-c connected directly to the MBP! I am so happy. I have not fully tested it yet, but it seems to be working well so farā€¦ Thanks!