Mac OS12.0.1 problem connecting to G-Drive Mobile USB-C

I bought Apple USB-C to USB-C cable and it doesn’t mount.

Indeed, my iMac purchased in April 2020 has 3GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 processors.

I have the same problem. MacBook Pro late 2018 (intel chip). G-Drive doesn’t mount.

same problem here. not a M processor issue. It’s a Monterey issue.

I’ve enrolled in and installed the Monterey 12.1 Beta 4 public beta and it appears that this bug has been fixed in that build. I’m on a 2021 14" MacBook Pro with M1 Max chip in it.

I am experiencing the same problems. Unrecognizable drive and MacBook Pro locking up when rebooting or shutting down. I am on macOS Monterey. This is the only thread I have found talking about this problem so please post any updates you have.

Thanks!

@lpjakob also following this thread. Have the same problems as everyone else. I’ve tried to run disk utility and do first aid and i’ve had my computer crash three times already.

I ran a test today plugging in my G drive to my wifes MacBook running Big Sur and the drive works fine. So it’s definitely a Monterey problem. Let’s hope we get a fix or solution soon.

Perhaps you didn’t see my post above. If you desperately need this solved immediately and are willing to take some risk with a public beta build, then you can download the MacOS 12.1 Beta 4 build from Apple. You’ll need to register at beta.apple.com to signup for the public beta program and then follow the instructions there to download and install the build. This build solved the problems with my G-Drive Mobile disk for me. I haven’t noticed any other bugs with 12.1 B4, but it is a beta build and not a final release, so there’s bound to be some bugs in it.

Thanks so much. I saw you post but am a little hesitant to create another compatibility issue due to the beta. Hopefully Apple put out the full release soon. Appreciate the follow up!

I spent almost an hour with apple support on this issue. They were of no help and suggested I contact WD. I checked the community board here and found the suggestion from mevermurien to go tohttp://beta.apple.com/ .This fixed the issue and the drive was able to mount with no issues. Not sure that I’m comfortable with a beta version but will keep an eye out. THANKS

I have 13" MBP-M1 & had the same mounting issues after 12.01 upgrade as fully described above - I switched USB-C to USB-C to a USB to USB-C and it all is working fine. Apple Adviser helped discovering the issue, by connecting my external drive to an older iMac with only USB ports - so once I connected and checked the drive works fine, I used an Apple multiport which includes a USB port, and the USB to USB-C cable (GT drive is USB-C as is my MBP-M1) and it has been working fine.

I saw that OS 12.1-Beta apparently has solved the problem, but I am not ready to switch to a Beta version, and USB to USB-C seems fine (not noticing any potential speed reduction).

Apple is sending me a replacement USB-C to USB-C cable in case my cable is damaged - but if OS-12.1 Beta has fixed the problem, it is unlikely that my cable somehow got damaged during the upgrade. Time will tell once 12.1 full release is available,

KMG… apple support had me do the same think on my iMac. Still didn’t solve the problem. Glad this worked out in your case. I have not come across any issues to date with the beta version.
Regards

Just to be clear - my older iMac is on an older OS and has only USB (no USB-C). We only tested it with that old iMac to make sure the drive works and wasn’t damaged - I also have a new iMac with 11.6.1 which I have not upgraded to 12.01 exactly because of this issue - I have an external GT drive on that new iMac also.

However, when I used “regular USB” to USB-C cable and connected my external Drive to my 13" MBP-M1, the drive is working fine with no issues on OS 12.01 now. So, in my case it appears, the cable (USB-C/USB-C) is the issue.

When I get the replacement USB-C/USB/C cable from Apple, and retry, I will update in this thread, if the issue is in fact the cable type causing the problem, or somehow my current cable was damaged during the upgrade to 12.01 (either pure coincidence or damaged because of 12.01 somehow - which is pretty odd!) Hope this clarifies more - not a definite solution :unamused:

Ready to go LIVE this morning with a video on my G Drive. It would only show the Utilities part of the drive and now it’s telling me it’s READ only, however, I was 2 buttons away from following advice to download the Beta Monterey when I decided to cut off TimeMachine. Immediately my G Drive appeared in the Finder. Now my problem is getting it off READ only and I hope this solution (TimeMachine cut off) works for others. If anyone knows how to change this G Drive permissions back to read and write I’m open.

So, here is the good news: I just got my USB-C/USB-C replacement cable from Apple, ejected the drive, switched cables, and reconnected and all is well!!!

So, either pure coincidence that the cable stopped working when I tried to upgrade to 12.01, or it could be some weird aspect of the upgrade which killed the cable.

I will continue to monitor, and may even just try to shut down and restart and see if I run into any issues -

Bottom line, in my case, it seems the cable I had (USB-C/USB-C) was defective and the new cable from Apple saved the day and all’s working fine - Stay tuned…!

I spent a few hours pulling my hair and I am close to using a jackhammer on a G-Speed Shuttle Thunderbolt 3. Its brand new, it mounted on my two Macs running Mojave. But none of the controller I downloaded would recognize the drive. After trying to instal several controller version and drivers I think I messed up something. No more mounting. I can see the drive if I boot in safe mode and look under disk utility. I did a first aid to repair potential corrupt libraries. Then I reset pretty much everything that can be reset on the mac. The drive does not mount on either computer , it gets activated when connected, but its not visible on disk utility.

In the thunderbolt device tree I see this below. Any suggestions? Can I ever trust such a product to store my data even if I get it to work eventually? Thanks :slight_smile:

G-SPEED Shuttle Thunderbolt 3:

Vendor Name: G-Technology
Device Name: G-SPEED Shuttle Thunderbolt 3
Vendor ID: 0xC
Device ID: 0x84
Device Revision: 0x1
UID: 0x000C051330F27300
Route String: 1
Firmware Version: 26.1
Port (Upstream):
Link Status: 0x2
Speed: Up to 20 Gb/s x1
Current Link Width: 0x2
Cable Firmware Version: 1.1.0
Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.36.0
Port:
Link Status: 0x7
Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s x1
Current Link Width: 0x1
Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.36.0

OK, hoped it would be that simple…wasn’t. Still Apple won’t fix and yes they know this problem exists. Cleanmymac is unable to fix permissions and disk utilities cannot either. Beta seems the only way to go.
Carol

I see on various news sites that Apple has released the official release of Monterey 12.1 earlier today. So should be able to get this via Software Update on your Mac.

Thanks, will give it a try!
Carol