Mac os X Lion with wd tv live

Hello!
Has anyone resolved the problems of file sharing from OS X LION to WD TV LIVE PLUS after the recent update of MAC OS X 10.7.3?
If anyone could. How did it?
Please refrain from telling me that you did with TVMOVILi, Eye Connect or PS3 MEDIA SERVER.
I already tried them all but I want to use my normal WD
Thaks!

Ok, so I will buy a media center on monday. I was already decided to buy WD TV Live wifi, but now i’m having second thoughts. I have 2 computers, one is win 7 and the other one is a mac running on Lion.

Now, doesn’t this official resloution from WD  fixes the problem or am I in the wrong?

Regards,

P

I tried the WD fix but didn’t work for me.

I’ve updated to 10.7.3; still the problem remains.

:confounded:

I can confirm that 10.7.3 did not fix the sharing issue.  

I was on Snow Leopard up until yesterday when I thought 10.7.3 would fix my problem with Lion.  So now I’m stuck with Lion and a WD box that won’t see anything on my network.

Please fix this.

Guys I think the solution is a lot easier than everyone thought, ive been looking for a way of making my WDTV work with Lion for days now, trawling through forums, then I spotted what soulside said. All thats happening here is that without Samba Lion is not automatically connecting, however the WDTV is still a drive on your network so of course it can be easily connected to.

First I was not sure what soulside (page 3) meant so i went to finder clicked on network and briefly my wdtv flashed up, however when clicked on it quickly went away. Here’s how to get it back:

1. switch on your WDTV, go to settings / Network Setup.

2. in Finder on the mac click ‘connect to server’ in the Go menu (apple+k)

3. type in the IP address from the Network Setup page on your WDTV.

4. If it asks for password etc just use whatever you would normally on your mac or click connect as guest.

Thats it your done :slight_smile:

Back to how it was before!!

soulside thank you so much, not sure why others have not picked up on this but really hope it helps.

Thanks RichEdit!
Where you put the ip address?
From where do you get? in WDTVLIVEPLUS or Mac?
Before attaching the WD IP I have to put on my Mac smb: \ \ “IP number” if it does not connect.
However, when connected, I put a caption that says "There was a problem connecting to server 192.168.1.102. No shares are available or do not have permission to access them on the server. Please contact your administrator to resolve the problem "
Excuse me my English I’m learning
Someone was able to resolve this?

Hi Josueado

you put the ip address into your mac and you get it from your WDTV

to get it from your WDTV go into its settings menu then network setup (or similar) the ip address of your WDTV is at the top.

Yes before attaching you should put smb:// 

then it will connect :slight_smile:

Worked like a charm, nice work! Many (many) thanks

1 Like

Still not working for me!
Starry Skies RichEdit and you have a WD TV LIVE PLUS? or other?
I still put it on my iMac legends “There was a problem connecting to server 192.168.1.102. Shares are not available or do not have permission to access Them on the server. Please contact your administrator to resolve the problem”
Please Help!

Josueado I have the WDTV Live Hub.

On your mac try right clicking on the Macintosh HD and choose open encloslosing folder. Can you see the netword share?

Also how are you entering the IP into the ‘connect to server’? are you just putting the IP?

Hi RichEdit I am very interested in your post as I am having the same problems. Although I don’t have the WDLive I have the WD Live Hub. I worked out your solution sometime ago but I can only see and access my files stored on the Hub. I am unable to see and access my files stored on my Mac from the Hub I get a message come up, no media in the current folder. Are you able to see your files stored on your Mac from the WDLive so you can then stream from the Mac. Many Thanks

Hi MediaKev

I have the Live Hub too, I have never been able to see the files on my mac from the Hub only the other way around, this works fine for me as I only transfer a few files at a time, however I can see how handy it would be to have a folder on the Mac which it syncs from.

Sadly I cannot be of much help but good luck!

Hi RichEdit Thank you for reply. I thought as much we can only hope WD/Apple will solve this soon. Thanks

1 Like

RichEdit
Now I understand! you have a WD TV LIVE HUB!
You only see the files from your Mac and not the other way.
I have a WDTV LIVE PLUS without hard disk! and I want to see my files from my iMac not the other way!
Thanks anyway!
I also hope a fix from Apple or WD!

1 Like

I’m about ready to send my WDTVLive back to the factory; I’ve been struggling with this for days since buying it, off and on, while trying to get tech support in between attempts.

The tech people are interested in helping, but sadly can only access one  method I’ve already tried, with no success.

Connecting my media storage directly to the USB port on WDTVLive was suggested, but also fails…Trying to get WDTVLive to accept my 2 x 1.5TB external drives seems too much of a challenge for it; only one drive is recognized, and the unit tries to index it and constantly stalls.

Network access to my IMac is the only way to go, it seems, and I sure wish they’d do someting to correct this problem!!

I think I’ve found the answer; a utility called SMB up.

http://knowledgebase.hsti.com/re-installing-smb-on-mac-os-x-lion-10-7-x

Tried it tonight; fast and easy setup on the Mac, and it’s shareware-donation requested, but not mandatory.

I will report any incompatibilities that I experience…

Glenn

Yes! It´s work! Finally!

To Nesvic: Just confused… Are discussed reoccurring problems on this forum, not flagged to WD technical support? So it is really necessary to open a case with the WD techsup department?

To polleke:

Only re-instaling SAMBA workfor my finaly!

You can found the answer; a utility called SMB up.

http://knowledgebase.hsti.com/re-installing-smb-on-mac-os-x-lion-10-7-x

It is fast and easy setup on the Mac, and it’s shareware-donation requested, but not mandatory.

I don’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth.  This SMBUp program did solve half the problem.  I can now stream files from the Mac to the WDTV Live using Network Share instead of Media Server.  I can’t tell yet if the quality suffers, but it seems to be OK.  However, while this does solve the streaming issue, that was the lesser half of my requirements.  For the most part I prefer to copy files from the Mac to a drive attached via USB to the WDTV Live.  Doing this means that the file will not be interrupted by a reboot, will not be affected by a network slowdown, and I can even watch whatever with the computer turned off.  SMBUp does not fix the part of the problem where the Finder no longer connects to the external hard drive.  So I can stream now (but I could do that before with PS3 Server, or EyeConnect - it just didn’t support subtitles.)  But I can’t copy to the drive unless I unplug it and plug it into the MacBook Pro.  Not a very elegant solution for a user interface that is generally pretty sleek.  Any suggestions for how I can network a drive plugged into the WDTV Live?