Mac os X Lion with wd tv live

My WD TV Live doesn’t work anymore with my mac when i updated my macbook with lion.

i cant connect with my shared folder at my mac. does anyone have a solution?

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Yes, Apple has broken SMB sharing in OSX Lion for many devices that use SAMBA. Just Google around and you will find it is not just the WDTV Live products affected.

Options-

1. Wait till Apple fix the problem (unlikely because they have known about the problem for many months and done nothing about it)

2. Roll back to your previous OS version that worked

3. Install a Media Server and use that instead of file sharing

4. Install a true version of SAMBA as described here- http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=38629

Parnott, That link for installing Samba didn’t link to instructions. Do you have another link? I can follow instructions for doing things in Terminal, but I get nervous if they aren’t detailed ones. :slight_smile:

I’m having the same exact issue after upgrading to OS X 10.7 Lion. As a temporary solution, I installed the EyeConnect software from here:  http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/software/EyeConnect.en.html

It’s just a trial version, but at least it will gives us 30 days until either Apple or WD issue a patch that solves the problem.

Once you install EyeConnect, just open the preferences and share whatever folders you want to share, then your WDT will see it as a media server.

Jrs77 wrote:
Parnott, That link for installing Samba didn’t link to instructions. Do you have another link? I can follow instructions for doing things in Terminal, but I get nervous if they aren’t detailed ones. :slight_smile:

Well the initial post reads pretty much like instructions to me. And, no I don’t have any other links.

If you are uncomfortable using Terminal then obviously this soluion is not for you.

Also the program Medialink (15 euro in the app store)  works But both don’t play .iso files :angry:

Apple’s Time Capsule is recognized by WDTV. If you have one, toss your data on there or connect a USB drive to the capsule’s USB port.

TC support wasn’t available until a while ago, so I put all my video files on external hds connected to my laptop. Only problem was, that it has to be on all the time, so I switched to a MacMini Server (not the only reason…)  recently.

The irony kills me…

I’m  a bit late to the party - but I accidentyly discovered that “Rivet”   http://thelittleappfactory.com/rivet/ that i use to stream media to my Xbox, also worls for th WD Live TV.

parnott100 wrote:

Yes, Apple has broken SMB sharing in OSX Lion for many devices that use SAMBA. Just Google around and you will find it is not just the WDTV Live products affected.

Options-

1. Wait till Apple fix the problem (unlikely because they have known about the problem for many months and done nothing about it)
  1. Roll back to your previous OS version that worked
  1. Install a Media Server and use that instead of file sharing
  1. Install a true version of SAMBA as described here- http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=38629

Well, Apple didn’t ‘break’ Samba - Samba changed the licensing to GPLv3, which is more restrictive and pretty much prevented Apple from including it in OS X Lion. Rather than hassle with it, Apple built their own services. While you can connect to Windows servers and shares with no problem, the WDTV Live/LivePlus will not be able to connect to your Mac running Lion. Some folks here mention running a media server on your Mac, but you’ll lose things like the ability to use ISOS, etc.

Your link to installing Samba on OS X Lion is the way to go. Yes, it is not for the faint of heart, but it DOES work. Once installed, your WDTV Live/LivePlus can connect to a Mac running Lion without issue.

As far as the person saying WD is responsible for fixing this - no, they are not! Apple made a change and no longer ‘out of the box’ supports Samba - that is not Western Digital’s fault, and it is not their responsibility to try and code changes so that the WDTV Live/LivePlus can connect via Apple’s changed service. If they get to it in a later firmware update, that’s great. But in the meantime, either install Samba on your OS X Lion Mac, or run a media server.

Hi folks.

I found a free DLNA solution: Tvmobili. It’s right here : http://www.tvmobili.com/

Not as good as Samba: some of my HD files don’t work. But I assume that for 80% of the medias it will be ok.

As far as I’m conerned, It’s WD business to make their system work with new OS. That’s why Apple released beta version of Lion to developpers. So I’m wtill waiting for things get back to normal. 

Of course WD is responsible for fixing this. Since when is a hardware maker not responsible for keeping their hardware compatible with the latest OS changes and advancements? It is pure negligence for WD to not have the problem with their device fixed by now. They had plenty of time during the Lion beta period to solve this. If they can’t be bothered to maintain the functionality of their products, that’s just sad. WD should not be forcing their customers to install samba, use 3rd party media servers, or do other crazy things to keep their products working.

1 Like

Why so, WD did not break anything. WD devices still work perfectly well with Windows and Linux machines if everthing in your network is set up correctly.

It is Apple that broke things by not implementing the SMB1 protocol in their NEW PROPRIETARY implementation of Windows file sharing. Apple chose to only support the SMB2 protocol, thus APPLE SPECIFICALLY CHOSE TO BREAK INTEROPERABILITY with Samba and devices/machines that run Samba. And this has nothing to do with GPL3, except of course unless Apple want to restrict what software you can install on your machine. That is what they objected to.

The WD devices (and many other manufactuers) use Samba to implement Windows file sharing. The current stable versions of Samba only support the SMB1 protocol.  So until there is a stable version of Samba that supports SMB2 there is not a lot WD can do.

Until Apple fix the problem THEY CREATED, then yes you are going to have to go through hoops to regain control over your network streaming.

parnott100 wrote:

Why so, WD did not break anything. WD devices still work perfectly well with Windows and Linux machines if everthing in your network is set up correctly.

And this has nothing to do with GPL3, except of course unless Apple want to restrict what software you can install on your machine. That is what they objected to.

I agree with you that WD is not the culprit here - Apple is. But you are wrong - it has everything to do with the Samba team moving to the GPLv3.  Whereas the GPLv3 does not prevent a company from releasing a product commercially, its restrictions are what made Apple decide to do their own thing. Basically, they would have to release the signing keys and/or other information necessary for someone to run a modified version of the software on the system, meaning anyone could make changes and do what they want. Whereas that is no big deal for OS X, it is for iOS, so Apple decided to do their own thing. Believe me, they wouldn’t have wasted the time and money creating their own tool if they could continue using Samba to their heart’s content.

WDTV Live works with Windows, Linux, and OS X prior to Lion. I never saw WD guarantee they were going to support a new proprietary file/network services protocol just because Apple decided to stop supporting Samba. 

Apple is not going to *fix* anything - they are not using Samba anymore. You can still install Samba yourself if you want - it’s not any more difficult than compiling/installing a package on Linux. If you want Samba on your OS X Lion system - install it. Otherwise run a media server. But don’t expect WD to quickly dash out code to support a proprietary tool. If they do, great - but I wouldn’t expect it.

parnott100 wrote:

It is Apple that broke things by not implementing the SMB1 protocol in their NEW PROPRIETARY implementation of Windows file sharing. Apple chose to only support the SMB2 protocol, thus APPLE SPECIFICALLY CHOSE TO BREAK INTEROPERABILITY with Samba and devices/machines that run Samba. And this has nothing to do with GPL3, except of course unless Apple want to restrict what software you can install on your machine. That is what they objected to.

The WD devices (and many other manufactuers) use Samba to implement Windows file sharing. The current stable versions of Samba only support the SMB1 protocol.  So until there is a stable version of Samba that supports SMB2 there is not a lot WD can do.

Until Apple fix the problem THEY CREATED, then yes you are going to have to go through hoops to regain control over your network streaming.

• *> But you see, Apple did not create a problem. They simply worked around it. Software evolves first, then hardware follows. That’s the way it has ALWAYS been. Using your logic, no hardware maker should be bothered to keep up with the evolution of our operating systems. That’s just silly.> To put it simply, operating systems will always be changing (as expected). It will always be the responsibility of the hardware maker to be sure that their products work with modern operating systems if they want to keep their customer base happy. 

Wait a second.   

Maybe I’m missing something:

http://news.samba.org/announcements/samba_gplv3/

According to that, Samba went to GPLv3 4 years ago.    According to that document, SAMBA 3.0.x and below was GPLv2 and 3.2.x and higher is GPLv3. 

All of the WD Live products use Samba 3.5.x, which means it’d be under GPLv3.

Agree with ASFx2600 only to a point.   Yes, it’s the appliance manufacturer’s responsibility to keep up with operating systems.   However, it’s not the consumer’s RIGHT to DEMAND that they do so.   They only must keep up with the operating systems that are on their compatibility list.

Case in point:   The Live/Live+ issued a release that said they were Windows 7 compatible.    Then Microsoft made a change to the security policies relating to CIFS.    That broke EVERY Device that was running an unpatched version of SAMBA 3.4 or earlier.  

WD fixed it.

lol why is this topic marked as “solved”? It seems like WD has done absolutely nothing to solve this problem yet. They’ve had a very long time to make sure their products would continue to work with the latest version of OS X during the beta period, and still have done absolutely nothing. Have they even acknowledged the problem yet? That would be a good start…

ASFx2600 wrote:

lol why is this topic marked as “solved”? It seems like WD has done absolutely nothing to solve this problem yet. They’ve had a very long time to make sure their products would continue to work with the latest version of OS X during the beta period, and still have done absolutely nothing. Have they even acknowledged the problem yet? That would be a good start…

Well, I’d assume the OP marked it as “Solved”, because several workarounds were offered, which is exactly what the OP was asking for.  “Solved” doesn’t mean the Lion/SMB2 issue itself is solved, as you appear to be interpreting it.

And the whole fact is that until Samba could be re-written to work with Lion, there was absolutely nothing WD could possibly do about it.  The software WD uses for connecting to SMB shares simply wasn’t/isn’t compatible with Lion.  Until new software is written/tested/provided, WD’s as stuck as you are.

And an updated Samba has only recently been released… _ well _ after the Lion official rollout.  You’d have to ask them why it was so long coming, and wasn’t available to WD or anyone else during Lion’s beta.

Now that WD has access to an updated Samba, they can compile it in to new firmware builds and begin testing.  But, like any other WD fix, don’t count on an immediate maintenance release… we’re likely to only see new firmware when a new build has been tested – that just seems to be how WD does it, no matter how much folks complain about it.

So, all in all, it could be several more months (or possibly, but unlikely, not at all) before a new firmware is released with a new Samba compiled in.

No amount of complaining is likely to accelerate that.

So, the answers to the OP still stand… either roll back to non-Lion (since no one put a gun to your head and forced you to upgrade to an operating system that was incompatible with the SMB sharing that pretty much every other hardware device in the world uses), or install SMB functionality yourself in the interim.

I was told by support via email the following:   Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is[Deleted]

I apologize for the inconvenience. Western Digital is still in the process of testing the compatibility of the WD TV Live with Mac OS 10.7 (Lion). As of now we do not have an ETA for full support. As we complete our testing we will post updates to our support website: http://support.wdc.com.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
[Deleted]
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

Hilarious.  I contacted their support and got the reply:

“- WD TV live plus hd is a device which cannot be use in any OS (No matter is Win OS or Mac OS)”

I’m not even really sure what that means.

On a more positive note, I noticed that several other products got 10.7 compatibility earlier this month, so hopefully they’re making it through their list…