Mac os X Lion with wd tv live

I had the same problem following a Lion upgrade and tried various third party fixes and have settled on TVMOBiLi.

I have since performed a clean install of OSX Lion which improved performance alround (i always think it is better than an upgrade) and TVMOBiLi has worked flawlessly - I especially like the browser  based setup interface.

And best of all it is free!

So if you just want to access your films, photos and music on your Mac (and attached drives) then go for TVMOBiLi

hi,

everything is working fine here with the lion and wdtv live hd.

simply type in the ip address of your wdtv by creating a new network.

and… as you can see… voila - the wdtv shows up.

have fun.

best, oliver 

soulslide wrote:

hi,

everything is working fine here with the lion and wdtv live hd.

simply type in the ip address of your wdtv by creating a new network.

and… as you can see… voila - the wdtv shows up.

have fun.

best, oliver 

You are saying that it is possible to mount the External drive attached to the WDTV that way (and copy files back an forth)?

Can somebody else confirm this??

I have been waiting for AGES to upgrade to lion (iCloud) and this is the reason I haven’t done it.

Jack

Yes, I confirm that the drive attached to the WD TV Live is accessible through lion.

I have a question about the Time Capsule. I told the WD TV Live to remember the TimeCapsule but I then probably inserted wrong username and password. How can I add it again providing new username and password? At the moment WD TV Live says that the drive is empty …

Many thanks in advance.

Hello! I’m new to all this and not as an advanced user as you guys are, so here is my question:

I just tried to connect the wd tv live hub (latest firmware 3.something) to my mac (running 10.7.2) through the “sync content from a network shared folder” but I can’t connect to my computer (via wifi adapter)! No matter what I try, it just says incorrect username/password.

Can somebody help me please?

Thx!

Look, save yourself a lot of time and wasted energy, WD couldn’t care less about the Mac community.

Dump your unsupported, outdated UI, unfunctional last generation SAMBA WDTV and buy the AppleTV.

I did, after trying to get this junk to work with Lion and I’ll never look back.

I am not the greatest computer tech, but I would like to figure out how to get my WD TV Live working with my Mac again.  It was working perfectly until I installed Lion.  I didn’t think about checking to see if it would mess up WD TV.  Anyway, I downloaded the newest Samba version 3.6 but I have NO IDEA how to install it.  I’ve seen some instructions online and I don’t really follow.  I don’t want to mess up the computer playing with terminal if I don’t know what I’m doing.  I’m just looking for a way to get the WD TV to recognize my shared folders again so we can watch our downloaded .avi TV shows and movies on our TV.  What is a simple fix for this?  Is it easier to reinstall Snow Leopard?  I don’t want to lose all my applications I’ve installed previously.  Is there another way to connect WD with a Mac running Lion other than installing Samba 3?  Help!  :slight_smile:

In my opinion, WD no longer cares about their Mac customers. They have had SO long to fix this, and should have had a firmware fix ready before Lion was even released. I bought an AppleTV and trashed my WDTV Live boxes, and everything has been working perfectly. The interface on the AppleTV is so much better anyway. I’m glad WD forced my hand by no longer supporting their own hardware. Now I was able to see how much better the AppleTV really is.

Does the Apple TV play .avi files though?  That is my biggest concern.  I have a huge library of avi files and I’m not going to spend hours converting them with handbrake.  I’d like to switch to AppleTV, but the reason I didn’t get it in the first place is because it doesn’t seem to support avi.

It won’t play AVI by default, but most people who buy the AppleTV also get this really nice bit of software to install on the AppleTV. 

http://firecore.com/atvflash-black

Once you install that, then you can play everything including avi, mkv, etc… it also allows for a TON of new options, including installing XBMC and other neat plugins. You should definitely give it a shot. It’s very easy to install too. It took me just a few minutes, and they provide all the support you might need.

AppleTV supports only MOV, MP4 and M4V…  That’s all.

AppleTV doesn’t support DTS decode.

As far as I know, it doesn’t support AC3 decode, either.

AppleTV doesn’t do 1080p, except for photos.

Yeah.   AppleTV is MUCH better.  ;)

Of course there are HACKs and JAILBREAKS, but that’s a different story…

Good things about AppleTV:  

Can play iTunes DRM content, and supports AirPlay, and integrates nicely with iTunes.

In response to @michaelhoward

Odd. If WD is spending time trying to figure this out, meaning that they are interested in supporting Macs, then why don’t they just support AFP in addition to Windows and Linux shares?

And my 2¢… no one is responsible for the compatibility issues but it is in WD’s interest to solve this issue to lessen the amount of returns they will get if their customer can’t get the product to work. It’s also in Apple’s best interest to make SMB as compatible as they can but that’s a much wider decision involving cost, licensing, roi, etc.

It’s time we all stopped throwing stones. It makes the Internet world a very bitter place to be.

Smile :laughing:

1 Like

HZC12 wrote:

,no one is responsible for the compatibility issues but it is in WD’s interest to solve this issue to lessen the amount of returns they will get if their customer can’t get the product to work. It’s also in Apple’s best interest to make SMB as compatible as they can but that’s a much wider decision involving cost, licensing, roi, etc.

It’s time we all stopped throwing stones. It makes the Internet world a very bitter place to be.

Smile :laughing:

Well said.

Spoke by phone yesterday and I was told Wd who knew the problem with LION but there was no firmware to fix it now.
I was told that I could do was to return to Snow Leopard or not use more than my WD TV LIVE PLUS!
Ask if they had a date estimate for a new firmware that solves the problem and I was told NO!
What do you think?

Josueado wrote:

Spoke by phone yesterday and I was told Wd who knew the problem with LION but there was no firmware to fix it now.
I was told that I could do was to return to Snow Leopard or not use more than my WD TV LIVE PLUS!
Ask if they had a date estimate for a new firmware that solves the problem and I was told NO!
What do you think?

Can’t really expect more from WD since they’ve already demonstrated that they don’t care about the mac community. You should just get an Apple TV and install aTV Flash on it. Then you’ll be able to play everything you want, and it will actually work, unlike the WDTV Live.

ASFx2600 wrote:

Josueado wrote:

What do you think?

Can’t really expect more from WD since they’ve already demonstrated that they don’t care about the mac community. You should just get an Apple TV and install aTV Flash on it. Then you’ll be able to play everything you want, and it will actually work, unlike the WDTV Live.

Uh, don’t really get your point. It was Apple that broke everything by implementing their own version of the CIFS protocol that is not  compatible whith  the most commonly used version of SAMBA on Linux devices.

parnott100 wrote:

ASFx2600 wrote:

Josueado wrote:

What do you think?

Uh, don’t really get your point. It was Apple that broke everything by implementing their own version of the CIFS protocol that is not  compatible whith  the most commonly used version of SAMBA on Linux devices.

Operating systems evolve all the time. It is the hardware manufacturer’s job to keep their hardware functional as operating systems evolve if they want to keep their customer base happy. WD has chosen not to care about the entire Mac community. That gives the mac community no other choice but to use other devices to play their media, such as the Apple TV. WD has had a very long time to get their firmware updated, and they haven’t bothered. They could have tested it and had it updated even before Lion was released for sale.

Hello! Someone who uses TVMOBILi or EyeConnect can see subtitles files. SRT? If they can do. How do they do?

I hope suggestions.

Thank you very much!

I have been searching for a while to rectify this myself using a range of different options. however  today i came across the best yet. Download and install this server and in less than 3 minutes of setting up, the wdlivetv is back to running as it was before lion osx. 

It definately put a smile on my face, and now i dont have to keep nagging the wife to let me buy a mac mini!!

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_video/media_servers/pms_mac.cfm

:smiley:

Nigaldo, thank you very much for that!

I have used this software and it works great for me!

I regret that this program uses a lot of bandwidth and CPU resources on my mac

If anyone knows of other software to read. SRT files I’ll be very grateful to know!
I hope any other suggestions
Thank you all!