Loss of directory and ALL its data

I stored 1.3T of data (movies) on my ‘My Cloud’ along with other data in various directories.
My PG. movies are located in my public shares for my son to access but all other movies had restricted (password) access.
I haven’t checked my movies for a few weeks now but today (Tuesday 5th Jan) I fancied watching a movie on my smart TV only to notice the directory was not accessible.
I have come to my computer to check to find the whole of the movie directory (including sub directories) is no longer there which means I have lost the whole of my movie collection.
Assuming like other drives nothing should have been deleted, how can I re-build the drive or recover the data?
I have had small data losses before due to the WD software, but normally this is during transfer and I just do this again, but the movie directory has been there for months!
This was NOT deleted by me, accidentally or otherwise. The movies have only been accessed by my smart-TV and not by my computer except for the initial copying to the drive.
All other directories are intact, the drive is only a few months old, there are no faults on the drive. The only thing I can think of is a glitch in the WD firmware.
Can the hardware be forced to re-scan the drive to build up the contents.
I am getting extremely distressed about this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

How are you checking whether your movies are present? Using a file browser, or a media browser?

If your MyCloud has re-booted, it may have dropped back to the default media location, which is just Public.

It’s also worth noting that DLNA doesn’t respect access controls, so if you have your non-PG media available to DLNA, it will not be restricted.

Is it possible that your son or anyone else might have deleted the files…?

This might be useful:

And, as with any hard disk, a backup is essential.

The directory was not DLNA accessible.
It was a stand alone directory that was only accessible via password.
I could only access it from the smart-tv by using a media server app with password access. The directory with login details are still present on the TV.
The only other way to access was from my computer via NETWORK (again with password) or using the WD software.
I transferred everything to the drive via the network rather than WD Software as the WD Software sometimes doesn’t copy things across.
Anything for general access such as P.G. movies were placed in the public area which did not require password access.
I think the last time I watched a movie was about 2 weeks ago on the TV and it was only last night I tried to watch a movie and wondered why I could not access it, thinking the password was incorrect.
Later I checked from my computer and realized the whole directory and sub directories had vanished.
I have tried a reset and that hasn’t worked.
The only thing I can think of is that about 1 week ago we had a power cut twice in the same day. But surely the drive should not just loose a directory like that, although you do say that if it has re-booted it may have dropped back to the default media location!
However I do have an additional directory in the public directory and that is still there!
In 30 years I have NEVER had a HD failure and never had a loss of data other than deleting by accident, but this is not the case here.
Funny as I got the WDmycloud mainly for a backup of all my movies and data as I have several smaller drives and needed to store everything together, so I am totally gutted this has happened.
I do have a partial option left to me and that is to try a file recovery from the various drives I have used in the past, but some have been re-used for other things so I don’t hold much hope.
Someone in the forum’s mentioned some recovery software that can be installed to the drive, but I have also read that this software has been blocked by later firmware updates.
So WD seem to be blocking 3rd party recovery software which could assist after their hardware causes a problem, yet don’t supply their own recovery software!

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

The directory was not DLNA accessible.

Do you mean you didn’t have media serving enabled on that directory? That’s the only way to prevent DLNA access; as I said, DLNA ignores access control, by design. I don’t know of any DLNA client that supports access control.

It was a stand alone directory that was only accessible via password. I could only access it from the smart-tv by using a media server app with password access. The directory with login details are still present on the TV.

Then it cannot be a DLNA media client app (unless it’s one that provides access control as an add-on function), but must be a file client app. What TV, what app is it?

The only other way to access was from my computer via NETWORK (again with password) or using the WD software.

‘via network’? yes, but using what tool; a file manager, or a media browser/player?

I have tried a reset and that hasn’t worked.

That was going to be my next suggestion… did you do a 4-second reset, or a 40-second reset?

The only thing I can think of is that about 1 week ago we had a power cut twice in the same day.

That was probably the cause of the problem.

But surely the drive should not just loose a directory like that, although you do say that if it has re-booted it may have dropped back to the default media location!

Only the Twonky DLNA media server should drop back to the default ‘Public - All Media Types’ serving selection (see the FAQ). The file server should still show all shares/folders. If a directory has disappeared, it suggests corruption of the file table. This could have been caused by the power outage.

In 30 years I have NEVER had a HD failure and never had a loss of data other than deleting by accident, but this is not the case here.

You have been lucky, then.

Funny as I got the WDmycloud mainly for a backup of all my movies and data as I have several smaller drives and needed to store everything together, so I am totally gutted this has happened.

Putting data onto one hard drive, without storing it elsewhere, is not a backup; a backup requires a redundant copy somewhere. If you have put all your data on the MyCloud, and have not backed that up to a copy, then your MyCloud is your primary data store, not a backup.

So WD seem to be blocking 3rd party recovery software which could assist after their hardware causes a problem, yet don’t supply their own recovery software!

Not so much that they’re blocking recovery tools, more that the MyCloud isn’t a simple HDD; it’s a NAS. A NAS is a computer system in its own right, and doesn’t give direct access to its hard drive file system, unlike an internal or USB HDD. That’s the real reason why data recovery tools don’t work, because they can’t get direct access to the file system.

How are you accessing the drive from your computer? Use File Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac). If you can see you files this way ignore the steps below for now and provide more details.

try accessing the share from the WD mobile or desktop app. If you can see the files there do a system only restore. this leaves all data and shares but everything else is like new and need to be reset.

Always have a backup of anything you don’t want to loose, as CPT pointed out moving to a different device is not a backup. I have a current backup at home and an periodic backup offsite. while recovery may be possible if you have Linux experiance

Hi Larry,

I am accessing the drive from the computer under Windows 10, File Explorer, Networks.
I had several root directories on the drive…
Movies
Documents
Downloads
Public
(and the other 2 standard)
Inside Public I have 4 sub-directories which are the 3 standard ones for music, video and photos plus my own called software. (These are all still there and accessible from any device).
Documents and Downloads are also still there and contain exactly what they are named with sub-directories. These are only accessible from my account which I have to enter username and password.
Movies, exactly the same, has sub-directories for Horror, Drama, Comedy, etc… this is also requires user and password.
Usually on file explorer, ALL directories are visible but to access some I have to log-in.
Now, the Movies directory is completely missing.
The Documents and Downloads directories are still in-tact complete with user and password access.
The only way to Delete/Move/Edit these and the Movies directory would be to use file-explorer with my user name and password or various WD supplied software apps, but again require login to do this.
I rearly access the drive from the computer because I use a smart-tv.
My son (10 year old) can use the media player app which ONLY shows the standard shared directories, Music, Video and photo. It will NOT give him access to anything else.
To access my movie directory I have to use Media-Server app on my tv, which will list all the directories and show either an open green padlock or closed red padlock.
The closed ones being movies, which then has to input a user name and password to gain access and then this is read only.
So last night I go to media-server, got to the Movies directory which was still listed on the TV and … nothing. No access. Checked password and login details… nothing.
I then (although later) fired up my computer, to find only all directories listed under networks (mycloud) except the movies directory which was missing.
I have turned the power off and left it for a while but still nothing.
I then used WD Dashboard to look at the drive and shares. The shares are still there for all the other directories but again, no share listed for Movies. The usage on the drive is now at 0.3TB where as before it was around 1.7TB.!
The directory and everything in it has vanished.
The only thing I can think of is that just before the New Year, we had a couple of power cuts, other than that I cannot see any reason the directory would disappear.
I have also tried as suggested with other equipment to see the drive, my iphone has an app and again no Movies directory.
I do have a little Linux experience and I do have several (about 15) different distributions to hand but all are over 4 years old as I haven’t dabbled for a while.
My movies etc are normally stored on portable USB drives as I take them with me to work, ( I work away for long periods), but the irony is that I got the 2TB WDMycloud to store SAFELY the movies as I didn’t consider them secure on portable media. Hence the move rather than backup. The idea was that when I go away I just load them onto my portable HD’s.
I am very surprised that WD don’t have any recovery software and more surprised (if I read correctly) that the software that could recover the drive has been locked and prevented from running by WD firmware updates!

Some constructive advice would be most welcome rather than should always backup… horse, stable door etc!

Thanks

Martin

If you can use SSH. I would suggest logging into the device and see if the directories are really missing.

RAC

did you try the WD mobile or desktop app? this will help pinpoint the issue. the files bay still be there

Hi Larry,

I haven’t tried the mobile app as my iPhone is a 4 and the app requires a later version.
I have used…
WD Mycloud
WD Mycloud Dashboard
WD Mycloud Public Share
WD Mycloud remote log-in from the internet
Mycloud Quickview
Twonky

If you can use SSH. I would suggest logging into the device and see if the directories are really missing.

Agreed; login to Linux using SSH (enable SSH in the Dashboard, download & run PuTTY SSH client, open port 22) and

cd /DataVolume/shares

Then

ls

to see if the Movies directory is still there. It’s possible that the MyCloud has ‘forgotten’ about the Movies ‘share’.

If the directory is still there, and contains data, I’d try to pull it all off, using something like WinSCP.

Then I’d try a 40-second reset to see if that makes the MyCloud find the share again (shutdown, unplug power, wait a minute, press reset & hold button, apply power, release reset button after 40 seconds).

If this doesn’t make it find the missing share, I’d try to re-create the ‘Movies’ share using the Dashboard. This might re-connect it to the existing share… Or it might refuse, saying it already exists.

If it re-creates the share, but you still can’t see your data, then you’ll have to re-populate the share from the copy you took earlier using WinSCP. You might have to SSH in again, and delete the ‘ghost’ share.

If you can’t see your missing share when you do the ls above, then, for some reason, it’s gone.

If you want to try to recover the files, you could look for a NAS data recover tool (ZAR, perhaps?):

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nas+file+recovery

or open the case up, remove the SATA drive, and connect it to a Linux machine and run a file recovery program directly on the ext4 file system.

As I said earlier, it’s not that WD has deliberately prevented you running a recovery program (I don’t think…), it’s just that most recovery programs expect to get direct access to the file system (be it NTFS, ext4, etc). A NAS isn’t accessed by direct file system access, but using a file server protocol.

Of course, Windows 10 is also involved here… Not exactly stable when it comes to NAS support…

you can download the desktop app from desktop app
. if you are comfortable in Linux CPTs steps are fine, if not use the app

the 40 second reset and system only restore are the same thing, since the dashboard is working I find the menus easier. after the restore plan on waiting 1 hour to over a day for it to settle down again and don’t try anything until the front LED turns blue

Hi guys,

Well, I have followed the steps by Cpt_Paranoia and unfortunately the movies directory is still missing. It’s as though it was never there.

Now I have Putty and contact with the drive, I will try some recovery software which I believe has to be installed.
Failing that, I will wait for a response from WD to see what they have to say.
If it has to be sent to a professional data recover-er, then I am afraid that option is probably out because of cost. I would rather break the seal (and warranty) and rip out the drive.
I better start building a Linux machine tomorrow, anyone recommend a good distro for this problem. (There is probably a distro specifically for data recover I bet!).
See what they have to say before I get to that option.

I suppose I am lucky that it is only movies, if my Documents or photos directory went then I would be in real trouble with irreplaceable data.
So, you can guess what is going to be backed up in the morning.

One other option which I am currently going through is the recovery of data from the portable drives that used to store the movies. I have been through two drives so far with limited success, believe it or not I managed to claim back 100% of the PG movies from one of the portable drives, but as you may notice, the PG movies are the ones that are ok… doh!

Thanks for the advice guys, anything else you can think of, please let me know.
Looks like I need to buy a 2TB SATA drive and carry out a major backup.

Cheers

Martin

Be careful with what you load. The My Cloud does not use a standard Linux build. It was built with 64k page size rather than the normal 4k.

RAC

Uh, yeah… Two threads dealing with the aftermath at the moment:

And, of course, writing anything to the disk risks overwriting files or file indexes.

Thanks guys, will bare that in mind.

Hi there i have been trouble with some sort of this same issue i am explaining here it in details …

Recently my (My Cloud personal 3TB) was working all fine, then i just connected it in my new router via LAN cable and right after that when i checked it with my PC it has deleted all my data without any notification, the whole data just vanished. After that what i am seeing is that my (My Cloud personal 3TB) is working very fine like before but my important data is still not there. The share which has my all the data still there but there is no data in it, by explore different forums questions and answer i also checked through SSH access through puTTY software through this i came to know that my share name was (My_cloud_server) showing up two times but in windows explorer only one is showing up which has no data at all. One more thing in dashboard what i am seeing is that movies, photos, others showing data in GBs which also getting increased.

I want to recover my whole lost data, i am looking forward some best and workable methods tips or tricks to recover the lost data.