Local vs Network

This may have been covered before?

One is able to connect a USB 3.0 drive to the MC or use that same drive locally.  It seems using the USB port on the MC would be faster but has anyone tried/compared this?

wptski wrote:

One is able to connect a USB 3.0 drive to the MC or use that same drive locally.  It seems using the USB port on the MC would be faster but has anyone tried/compared this?

• *> The USB port on a single drive My Cloud is soley for expansion of My Cloud.> If you desire to connect My Cloud directly to you computer that can be accomplished by the network interface.> If you already have a gigabit network the difference in speed would be negligible.

I think you are asking if adding an external USB disk to the PC or the mycloud is better

what are you trying to do with the the external disk?

backup the mycloud with safepoint, connect it to the mycloud

access documents locally on 1 PC with USB3.0, connect it to the PC

other? give an example of your plans

1 Like

PJPfeiffer wrote:

wptski wrote:

• *> The USB port on a single drive My Cloud is soley for expansion of My Cloud.> If you desire to connect My Cloud directly to you computer that can be accomplished by the network interface.> If you already have a gigabit network the difference in speed would be negligible.

One can’t copy from the MC to a drive connected to its USB port?

larryg0 wrote:

I think you are asking if adding an external USB disk to the PC or the mycloud is better

what are you trying to do with the the external disk?

backup the mycloud with safepoint, connect it to the mycloud

access documents locally on 1 PC with USB3.0, connect it to the PC

other? give an example of your plans

Copy from the MC to a HD connected to its USB port.

I probably misunderstood your original post.:smileysad … A device connected to the My Cloud via the USB3 port is accessible using different methods…page 106 in user manual

When you connect an external USB drive such as a WD Passport, a memory stick, or a camera to the WD My Cloud device, you can access it with Windows Explorer or Mac Finder.

The USB drive can serve as a target for backups in WD SmartWare, Windows, or Time Machine. You can map the drive as a user share drive (Windows) or an alias (Mac).
If a WD external drive has been locked, when it is attached to the WD My Cloud device, it maintains that security and can be unlocked or relocked using the Dashboard.
You can attach a powered USB hub to the external USB port and attach up to seven USB devices to the hub.

for “Copy from the MC to a HD connected to its USB port.” it depends

to use file explorer/finder it would be better connected to the computer, othwise it is copied from the mycloud to the PC and back

using the WD deskyop app it should be faster connected to the MC as the transfer stays on the MC. this is the only case that I recomend the desktop app for local access

now for the cavate, many people have issues with USB disks attached to the MC so you could have issues here. there doesn’t seem to be any common cause so no way to tell except to try it. be sure it is in a supported format, see the manual for a list

larryg0 wrote:

for “Copy from the MC to a HD connected to its USB port.” it depends

to use file explorer/finder it would be better connected to the computer, othwise it is copied from the mycloud to the PC and back

using the WD deskyop app it should be faster connected to the MC as the transfer stays on the MC. this is the only case that I recomend the desktop app for local access

now for the cavate, many people have issues with USB disks attached to the MC so you could have issues here. there doesn’t seem to be any common cause so no way to tell except to try it. be sure it is in a supported format, see the manual for a list

Yeah, I’ve read about issues using its USB port but wondered if it was faster or not.  I think that I’ll stick to local use.

It may be worth reading this:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/USB-drive-transfer-speeds/m-p/861040#M31056 and this:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Slow-Transfer-Speed-over-USB/td-p/651477

And the User Manual, poor as it is.

Interesting that Larry suggests the WD apps invoke a local MC to USB transfer; I found a Linux transfer using SSH root login and cp to give about 3MB/s.

HI wptski

careful what you read. this is a forum, different people have different experiences.

a good USB 3.0 HDD conencted to a PC  USB 3.0 I get 90-102 MB/s (read/write) (others get the same as well)

connected to WMYcloud I get from PC (30 MB/s small files aroudn 20-23 MB,  and up to 50-60 MB/s for giga files).

I haven’t tried ssh and cp (I have no reason so far after 1 1/2 years of use) so I dont know.

WdApp to Mycloud, if I time it, say 12 GB is about 6 minutes. So not optimum.

Some are having troubles.

Best way is to check it yourself.

I tested using a USB 3.0 PNY flash drive.  Using a 21GB video for all C/P tests.

In W10TP which I’ve found to be about 25% faster than W7.  From MC to PC was around 80MB/s, MC to PNY around 60MB/s.  MC to the PNY plugged into the MC which was even slow to even start, it was lucky to hit 3MB/s sometimes slowing to KB/s.