Load icon spinning endlessly

Well, I’m into a 2nd day of success with the WD device!   I still have the unit disconnected from the network and NO problem accessing my local content on the hard drive.   I’ve been checking my network and I’ve turned off Windows Media server and checked all of my devices (including the TV, my smartphone, etc.) to ensure that DLNA is off.  My receiver does DLNA and I would like to keep that on.  I am going to reconnect the device to the network and give it a few days to see if I have solved the issue for good.  

THANK YOU ALL FOR STICKING WITH ME TO HELP ME SOLVE THIS!!!  (I believe I am very close.)

KAD: You Da Man!

DNLA, when it works it’s nice, but

maybe an oversimplification

DNLA allows a server to take control of a DNLA renderer

so the DNLA server can do anything it wants to the renderer

which can easily include sending cmd’s that will crash devices, and do all sort of wierdness

and of coarse now days, nearly every device, seems to be DNLA capable

so how good/stable is each companies implementation

1 Like

Awesome info! Thanks KAD!. I have a lot of DLNA servers running unnecessarily and had no idea that it might be the cause of some of my issues. This is really great stuff that you are bringing to the community.

Im in awe, and quite appreciative.

-P

you guys are very generous

remember I keep learning as I go as well

another DNLA gone wrong storey that some of you might remember (I couldn’t find the post)

magically a picture from a phone (samsung again)

appears on the WD, and even rebooting the WD does not get rid off it

and to top this off, the user claims, he never put the picture on the WD, never shared it from another device etc

Samsungs poor DNLA implemtation was actively sending the picture from the phone to the WD

There’s been more than one report of that problem on these forums

Good thing it wasn’t a sexy picture from his girlfriend ;) 

Can you imagine turning on the TV to show off your fabulous Hub to your friends one day and whoops! 

flhthemi wrote:

Can you imagine turning on the TV to show off your fabulous Hub to your friends one day and whoops! 

LOL

flhthemi wrote:

As I recall that post, it WAS a sexy picture from a neighbor’s phone.  Ya gotta be cautious when in close proximity to other apartments nearby!

KAD79 wrote:

you guys are very generous

remember I keep learning as I go as well

another DNLA gone wrong storey that some of you might remember (I couldn’t find the post)

magically a picture from a phone (samsung again)

appears on the WD, and even rebooting the WD does not get rid off it

and to top this off, the user claims, he never put the picture on the WD, never shared it from another device etc

Samsungs poor DNLA implemtation was actively sending the picture from the phone to the WD

There’s been more than one report of that problem on these forums

KAD79, perhaps this is the post you were thinking of:

Random photo shows before/after video starts/stops - WD Community

community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Live-Plus/...after.../532817‎

I believe there was another message describing another incident where a revealing phone “selfie” showed up on someone’s TV unexpectantly.

Well, I thought I’d get back on to let folks know the latest… I’ve tried everything and can’t seem to find the issue in my network.   The first thing I did was reboot my router and I immediately still had the same issue.  I went to every device and turned off everything related to DLNA and nothing worked.   Right now, I run the device disconnected from the network (and it works)…but I can’t access anything like YouTube… I just use it to access my photos, videos, music.  I am convinced that it is an issue in my network, but I just can’t find it.  (I haven’t given up completely…I’m just taking a break from it.  )  Thanks to all for your help!

If you haven’t already:

What Brand/model router

Any network switches involved and maybe the brand/model

Have you tried a different network cable for the Hub

I’m not saying the problem is with switches, but to those reading this, just to let you know that switches can get messed up, too.  Once had a momentary power loss so brief it barely was noticeable.  It fouled up two Linksys network switches.  Theri brains got scrambled and slowed down the network to a crawl.  I removed power from each for an appropriate time, and once reconnected they worked correctly again as they had for ten years before.  So, when I reboot my network, I include switches, too.

I have a Linksys router… The WD device is connected via a small port switch which shares the single connection (directly from the Linksys router) with 3 other devices (a Foscam IP camera, a Samsung DVD player and an Onkyo Receiver).  I didn’t “reboot” the switch before.   I just unplugged it and re-plugged it in and reconnected the WD device to it.   It will take me a day or so before I will know if this is the culprit.  I might just buy a new one…or string a long ethernet cable from another room to test to see if I can get it to work.  (First I will see if the rebooting works.)  Thanks!

my suggestion before you go buying new equipment

systematically go through and test each device

so step one, test with everything turned off/disconnected - you’ve done this already

next disconnect/shut off everydevice except modem,router,WD

establish a connection and see if you have any problems

and continue to add devices one by one, till you find that one that causes the device to crash

mike27oct wrote:

I’m not saying the problem is with switches, but to those reading this, just to let you know that switches can get messed up, too.  Once had a momentary power loss so brief it barely was noticeable.  It fouled up two Linksys network switches.  Theri brains got scrambled and slowed down the network to a crawl.  I removed power from each for an appropriate time, and once reconnected they worked correctly again as they had for ten years before.  So, when I reboot my network, I include switches, too.

To add to this I had A switch that had one port that was partially working. So you might also change the port its plugged into on the switch. 

Well, here’s the latest…I’ve rebooted my port switch (by unplugging it and plugging it back it)…I also switched ports.   A day later, I had the same issue…so I unplugged everything from the switch except for the WD device.  It worked for 2 days.  Now I’ve plugged back in my receiver.  It’s been working for 1 day so far…  (the only 2 left are the IP camera and the DVD player…)  I also order a new switch…should come in soon.   So far so good…  Thanks…

Im putting my money on the DVD player only because it might be DLNA. MAN you have worked hard at this and I sure hope this all has a happy ending. :) 

Well…it’s been some time since I’ve given an update.   (I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!)  I have since installed my new switch…and found that the culprit seems to be the IP Camera (a Foscam camera).   It seems that whenever I install it, it causes issues with the WDlivehub device… Right now I’m keeping it unplugged but will investigate the settings much more closely there to see if I can get it to work WITH my WD device…  Thanks again for all of the help.