Load icon spinning endlessly

When playing a video, accessing a file, or even selecting a video on YouTube on my _ WD TV Live Hub Media Center, _the unit displays a loading icon that spins endlessly, preventing the video, photo, music file or YouTube video from starting.   Please note that the files are stored on the local drive.  If I reboot the device, it will work…but only for a short time.

Hello,

Have you tried resetting the media player by pushing the reset button on the bottom of the unit?

I’ve tried “Device Restart” and this will work…but only for a short period.  If I come back the next day, I get the same issue (“spinning endlessly” attempting to access data that is on the local drive).  If I hit “Device Restart” again, it will work…but I have to wait “endlessly” until the system comes back up.  Would a “Devide Reset” be any better?  What is going on here?

Try a full factory reset. You can use the button on the bottom or go to the setup menu system setup DEVICE RESET. You won’t loose any data on the drive but you will have to setup your Hub again as if it were new.

Good luck!

I tried a reset using the menus and this did not work.  Is the reset on the device any different than this?  I can try that next, but I believe it’s the same thing.   It seems crazy that I ge the thumbnails for everything, but when I click to play music or view a photo or video, the system clocks endlessly.   The only way to get it to work is to reboot or reset (using the menus), but this takes forever and you need to do this “before” every time you want to use the unit.  Crazy!  (The system used to work when I first bought it.)  Any advice?  (I appreciate your help)  

I’m pretty sure the menu reset and the reset button do the same thing. You might try

1 Full reset again

2 Re-flash the firmware (download it again as you may have a bad download)

3 full Reset it again

How to rollback and previous FW versions are HERE

To reflash the same version you have installed now will require you to:

1 - Download the version you want to reflash

2 - Unzip it to a folder on your PC (I usually just make a new folder and put it there so I can just delete the folder when I’m done)

3 - There will be a file “wdtvlivehub.ver” it’s a text file. Open it in Notepad (or your favorite text editor)

4 - Edit the line "VERSION=‘3.12.13’ " so the reported version is HIGHER than the one in this line

i.e. this displays 3.12.13 edit it to 3.13.13

5 - Save the edited file

6 - Copy all the files you have already unzipped and your edited wdtvlivehub.ver file to a thumb drive formatted in FAT32

7 - Place the thumb drive in the USB port of the Hub and turn on the Hub.

If autoupdate is on it should see a new firmware is available

8 - Do the update.

If I missed a step please correct my info! Pretty sure I got this right tho…

1 - Download the version you want to reflash

2 - Unzip it to a folder on your PC (I usually just make a new folder and put it there so I can just delete the folder when I’m done)

3 - There will be a file “wdtvlivehub.ver” it’s a text file. Open it in Notepad (or your favorite text editor)

4 - Edit the line "VERSION=‘3.12.13’ " so the reported version is HIGHER than the one in this line

i.e. this displays 3.12.13 edit it to 3.13.13

5 - Save the edited file

6 - Copy all the files you have already unzipped and your edited wdtvlivehub.ver file to a thumb drive formatted in FAT32

Safely remove / eject  the thumb drive from your PC (don’t just rip it out)

7 - Place the thumb drive in the USB port of the Hub and turn on the Hub.

If autoupdate is on it should see a new firmware is available

8 - Do the update

9 - Be Patient … it will take about 5-10 minutes

10 - Once successfully firmware updated … it’s recommended to do a Factory Reset

(this does not delete your media… but resets settings back to default)

Try playing a file only AFTER you have disconnected your router.

See if it remains stable for a few hours or a few days if possible.

I can get the orange circle playing at will with the same symptoms you describe.

It goes away when I disconnect my router. When I connect it again it stalls.

Something else on my chain is setting my Hub off.

I’ve done this…I’ve reinstalled the firmware (as per the instruction) and I’ve reset the device.   All works now…but we will see!   The device works fine for a while, but in a couple of days, it will require another reset.  (If this happens this time, I am abandoning this device. I don’t believe there is anything else that I can do.)  Thanks for your help…and I will let folks know.

I’ve tried disconnecting from the router…does not do anything to correct this issue.  Thanks for trying to help me.

Well, it’s been 1 day later…since I did a reinstall of the firmware and reset the system…

• Yesterday, everything worked great!

• Today I have the same issue with the spinning load icon… 

I’m about to give up.  It seems crazy that a system with photos and music on its own hard drive (no network involved) cannot find any of the data.  All of the files are listed (with thumbnails), but as soon as I try to bring something up (a photo, a video, or a music file), the load icon spins endlessly.

I appreciate your help…but nothing has worked…

if a reset has not solved the issue

then you likely have a mis-behaving upnp-server somewhere on your network

that is the most common reason I’ve seen for loading icon spinning endlessly

I recommend turn off any servers not in use

ie windows media server or possibly a server running on your router

Breeze123 wrote:

Well, it’s been 1 day later…since I did a reinstall of the firmware and reset the system…

• Yesterday, everything worked great!
  • Today I have the same issue with the spinning load icon… 

I’m about to give up.  It seems crazy that a system with photos and music on its own hard drive (no network involved) cannot find any of the data.  All of the files are listed (with thumbnails), but as soon as I try to bring something up (a photo, a video, or a music file), the load icon spins endlessly.

I appreciate your help…but nothing has worked…

I’m thinking maybe a bad hard drive. Is it still in warranty? If it is I would RMA that boy…if it isn’t, I would pull the hard drive and try hooking up a USB drive, on a USB port, while it’s out and see what happens. These units will fire up with no drive in them, might take a little longer…anyway, it’s free to try it!

the reset DOES work…for a period of time… When I come back the next day, I’m back to the “spinning load icon”.   Of course, I can reset again but this takes time and doesn’t make sense to do every time I want to use the unit.  Thanks for your help.

I don’t believe it’s a bad hard drive…but how can I tell if its still under warranty?  (Sounds like I would need to call support to find out.)  Thanks…

Breeze123 wrote:

I don’t believe it’s a bad hard drive…but how can I tell if its still under warranty?  (Sounds like I would need to call support to find out.)  Thanks…

Get your serial number. I got mine by right clicking on the Hub’s media device Icon in the Network and selecting properties. The go HERE and paste it in.

Well, here’s the latest:

• I reset the unit (to start fresh)

• I turned off all servers and deleted any network interface info

• I did this last night and when I turned the system on this morning it worked!!!

• when I got home from work (9 hours later), I checked and the system didn’t work!

• I unplugged my network cable (no network at all) and selected a file and it did not work!

I know if I reset the unit, it will work for a period of time, but then it will fail within a day or so.  Maybe I should keep it off the network and reset it again to see if it works at all (over a period of days)…I will try that and report back.  Thanks

I’m telling you again,

most likely issue is a mis-behaving dnla server on your network

this could even be running on a phone or tablet

reboot the device (without reset)

it will probably work

then after a while

dnla will muck it up again

example the virgin media superhub was confirmed on prior devices to flood the network, which eventually at kernel level revealed ir buffer full

but visiblly the symptoms are exactly what you have described

Thank you…I pulled the network cable from the device and reset it.  It has worked ever since I’ve done that.   My WDlivehub is connected to a hub which is connected to a router.   After a few more days (of this check to be sure that it is a network issue), I was going to reboot the router (and turn off and on the hub).  …then I would check to see if thing have stablized for a time and plub the unit back into the network.   (…and the next time that I have problems, I will reboot my router and hub)… We will see.  Thanks so much…!

I recommend to review your network and any DNLA server that you are not actively using should be disabled

some common ones

windows media server

router (many routers have built in DNLA server, which might be active)

phones/tablets (samsung, unfortunately has a very bad DNLA implementation in the photo viewer of it’s galaxy phones)