LED problem?

Come on WD, some explanation closure on what the problems were of the drives you RMA-ed.

Nehptis wrote:

Come on WD, some explanation closure on what the problems were of the drives you RMA-ed.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/LED-problem/m-p/200766#M2154 

There is no smoking gun here. LEDs have failed in some units (but again it is statistically very very small).  We will replace any unit that has the LED failure; however it does not affect the functionality of the unit.

Tony

Perfect summary, thank you.

Hi,

i’m having the same LED not  working issue with my mybook live drive that i bought 4 months ago.

i understand its under warranty but im not willing to pay for the shipping fee to return the defective drive to WD.

It’s very irresponsible of WD to not offer a completely hastle/charge free replacement method.

This is my second mybook live, when i initially bought it 4 months ago, a week later the drive status came up has BAD.

Had to replace that at the retail store.

And now i have this problem…What do i do?

Send it back and have the hassle of having to take a back-up of the NAS to something else OR live with the LED not working.  :cry:

I have had trouble with the Led Lights,    for about a month or two the Blue standby light was flashing, like as if the drive was reading.  Not a steady flash either… Very quick and random. But now it’s steady and  when the drive is accessed, the Green light is off…  When it’s disconnected from the network, the Red led works too.

I have feeling  that all Led lights are working… I think there has been some automatic updates on the drive.   

I am sure everything else is working fine and having no problems.  other  then the leds.  

Network drive My Book Live   2TB

If anyone has any answers, they are welcome to respond.

My LED is not working any more. It used to work as per the manual, then it changed to a more white light with a touch of blue / red / green, then it went very dull and now you cannot see it at all. Thank God I say, watching the different colors etc was taking away part of my life. The MBL is working perfectly OK, except for the LED.

Dangit, RICH!! 

Because of what you just said, I went and looked at mine!  It’s DEAD!

And I blame you.

I have no idea when it stopped working, but due to superior logic of Post-Hoc, I blame your post.

:wink:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Dangit, RICH!! 

Because of what you just said, I went and looked at mine!  It’s DEAD!

And I blame you.

I have no idea when it stopped working, but due to superior logic of Post-Hoc, I blame your post.

:wink:

Sorry.

I’ve had the LED problem since the first firmware update I applied to the drive after purchasing it (I forget which version but it was a few months back). My LED lights behave as follows:

Blue LED works when drive is in sleep mode

Red LED works during boot and when updating

Green LED does NOT work (doesn’t flash when reading/writing).

I’ve recently applied the latest firmware update but the LED behaviour hasn’t changed.

As mentioned previously by the WD guys, this doesn’t appear to affect the performance of the drive at all, so I’m not overly conerned.

We live in France and bought our WD My Book Live hard drive in December 2010.  At about 6 months of use (June 2011) we noticed that the LED’s stopped working. About a month later both the short and extended self test failed, however we could still access the drive and read and write data but obviously were worried about the integrity of the data. We contacted the Reseller and got an RMA. It seems they contacted WD and sent it to them and about a month later we were supplied with a new replacement drive by the Reseller.

We have now noticed the different colour LED’s and were wondering what they indicated so I did a search and came across this forum.

We have however had a problem with both drives during initial set-up - we cannot register the drive online.

Another problem we have is that in Dashboard / shares cannot seem to create a new share and a user for that share and then login to that share as that user. It says that you don’t have rights to access it but it is perfectly possible to create Public Shares.

I’m back.  I started this topic back when I first had the strange LED problem, and now I have other strange problems that may or not be related to the LED issue.

Background:

The replacement MBL that WD swapped for me seems to have been working just fine, although being in a wiring closet, I never really looked at the LED that much.  Did the last couple of updates just fine.  I did them manually by downloading the file first.  On the second one (not the one released 8/2 but the one before that) I decided to watch the LED to see it it turned white like it was supposed to during an update.  It didn’t.

1. The LED only blinked GREEN a bit.  It never went through any other color.  I then noticed that it never went BLUE for stand-by, but just went dark.  But it was serving files up just fine.

2. Decided to try and reboot using Dashboard.  Tried a total of 3 times, and kept getting this message:

31001 - Timeout; waiting for reboot. Please verify that the LED on the front of your device is not red; then find the device on the network and reinitialize the web user interface (see Knowledge Base article 5657). If the LED on the front of your device is red, please manually reboot the device.

Then tried to do the shutdown from Dashboard and got this:

31036 - Unknown error. Please ensure you are not facing network connectivity issues and try again.

3) Decided to back up all my data using TeraCopy to my desktop machine and it seemed to work OK.  But I couldn’t bring up Dashboard any more.  Kept getting a “Problem Loading Page - Unable to Connect” error in Firefox.

1. Tried rebooting by using the reset button on the back.  The MBL rebooted but the LED never blinked anything but GREEN.  Still could not get to Dashboard, but was able to see all my files.

Next I’m going to try and do a full power off reset.

Anybody with any clues as to what’s going on?

the HumpMan

Ok, an update to my previous message.

After doing a full power-off reset (unplugging the power cord for a minute) the MBL restarted OK, but the LED only blinked GREEN.

Dashboard access came back.  I did a reboot from Dashboard and that worked as well, although again the LED only blinked GREEN.

Decided to go ahead and do the latest firmware update (released today, it seems) even though I am not a Time Machine user.

So far, it looks like pretty much what I saw when I started this topic, except the two LEDs that stopped working are the RED and BLUE ones.

the HumpMan

Final update for today:

The latest firmware update succeeded just like the previous two.  I did a short test just for grins, and it passed.  Decided not to do a long test at this time.

So other than the minor lack of responsiveness until a full power on reset,  my MBL is exhibiting the exact same symptoms as the one that started this topic.  Two of the three LEDs on the front panel seem to have stopped working.  Though this time they seem to be the RED and BLUE ones rather than the BLUE and GREEN ones from last time.

The last time this happened, I was convinced that it was just a freak hardware failure.  But after reading the 8 pages of other comments I am not so sure.  LEDs are pretty reliable, and this sort of failure, multiple times, seems unlikely.

I don’t know right now if I’m going to try and RMA the current MBL, but I am inclined to do so…

the HumpMan

I have exactly same behaviour as Dawsman reported :

dawsman wrote:

I’ve had the LED problem since the first firmware update I applied to the drive after purchasing it (I forget which version but it was a few months back). My LED lights behave as follows:

Blue LED works when drive is in sleep mode

Red LED works during boot and when updating

Green LED does NOT work (doesn’t flash when reading/writing).

I’ve recently applied the latest firmware update but the LED behaviour hasn’t changed.

As mentioned previously by the WD guys, this doesn’t appear to affect the performance of the drive at all, so I’m not overly conerned.

After some thought, I tend to believe there is a hardware weakness someplace.  I don’t think it’s bad LEDs.  The fact that there are all sorts of reports of one or two LEDs of all colors that stop working leads me to believe that there may be some weakness in the circuitry that drives the LEDs.  The driver circuitry is a bit more than a simple LED circuit, since it seems to be software controlled.

So any one of the driver circuits could fail, taking out any one or two or maybe even all three of the LEDs.

Unless there is some complicated software problem that is leading to this problem, I’m thinking it’s some minor electrical fault.

But I’m just guessing…

the HumpMan

I have this issue also on my 1tb nbl.  Hard to fathom that it’s not firmware. 

WD is the only solution really RMA? 

I’m thinking it must be hardware as I’ve had it happen twice, but with different  pairs of LED’s going dark.

In any case, I adavance swapped another MBL from Western Digital and I’m back to seeing more than just a green light.

Oh, I also did the retore to factory specs on the MBL that I’m returning to WD, and it still never showed anything but a green light.

the HumpMan

Hey, It seems that this LED issue has infected by 2TB drive too. Mine only red (during reboot) is flashing, no other light is on…