Just opening long-ago purchased MyCloud; feeling dazed about necessary set-up

I’m just about to open a 6TB MyCloud that I purchased several years ago. I’ve been combing through the forum looking for anything relevant on what I might want to do during set up. I am not well versed in computers nor in coding, but I can tell that plug and go won’t be the best solution here.

I do feel I’ve gotten a bit lost in the maze of posts. Am I on the right track in what I write below?

The wdmcserverd / wdphotodbmergerd tasks seem to have never really been reigned in, so since I don’t plan to locate media items by thumbnail when accessing via browser, I should SSH in and disable them. (I have no actual idea what SSH’ing but, I’ll look that up.)

But I’ve just read that one of the latest firmware updates may have cut-off access via SSH, so I should search for the one previous to it.

Have I got this right so far?

The latest firmware for the 2nd gen v2.x single bay My Cloud hasn’t cut off SSH access. Apparently what happened is the user name one uses for SSH changed was changed from root to sshd.

The sleep issue hasn’t really been addressed, which is one reason why people use SSH to disable wdmcserverd / wdphotodbmergerd. Performance is another reason why people disable those two services. There are a number of threads that discuss which services to disable via SSH and the S98user-start file.

Generally the only other services one should consider disabling via the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings is cloud access/remote access if one isn’t going to use the My Cloud remotely. And disable the Firmware auto update in the Dashboard > Settings is also advisable.

It is generally recommended to assign/reserve an IP address for the My Cloud in the network router/DHCP server.

Make sure to set the correct Time Zone in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings section.

@rkstud Have you looked at this? https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detail/p/126
It will give you more information and links to both the 1st and 2nd generation My Cloud User Manuals.

I think you can get pretty far with Plug and Play.

I use my device primarily for “Drag and Drop” access via windows file explorer.
It’s not hard to setup ONE user share to make that happen.

Then, you can do some of the tricks Bennor suggests to tweak performance.

The only thing you should do immediately is to disable remote / cloud access and set an assigned IP address. The rest can be fixed later at your own pace.

The key is making sure that the data on the device is backed up somewhere in the event of failure, or if you wreck something while playing.

The single bay/single drive My Cloud Dashboard includes a backup feature called Safepoint (first gen v4.x firmware) or Backup (second gen v2.x firmware). It will backup the My Cloud to a USB hard drive attached to the USB port on the My Cloud. It also may backup to other locations depending on it’s feature settings/options.

Some have used SSH to modify the My Cloud firmware to use Rsync to backup to other locations or even across the local/internet to other devices. Use the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon upper right) and search for “rsync”. Numerous past discussions on setting it up to sync specific folders or files to other locations.

There are further methods one can use to backup a My Cloud to other locations. These include using Goodsync and third party software (like Free File Sync) to backup My Cloud folders/files to other locations.