Itunes server doesn't work anymore

Complaints should be directed at both WD and Apple.

For what ever reason WD removed the Artwork section from the etc/forked-daapd.conf file. Well really they removed it from the etc/forked-daapd.conf.orig file since that file overwrites the etc/forked-daapd.conf file at iTunes server start/restart or when the My Cloud is powered on/rebooted. The following (one example here: http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/mybook-live) is what may be missing from the Library section of those files that would catalog the artwork file:

# Artwork file names (without file type extension)
# forked-daapd will look for jpg and png files with these base names
# artwork_basenames = { "artwork", "cover", "Folder" }
artwork_basenames = { "artwork", "cover", "Folder", "folder" }

Adding that section in however doesn’t fix the issue. What happens (at least for me) was iTunes would not view anything on the My Cloud when that section of code was in the etc/forked-daapd.conf file. Don’t know if WD removed or modified the forked-daapd to prevent it from scanning for artwork files.

1 Like

No argument here

My bad, I’m not upset just expressing what works / doesn’t. I think you just read into my comment being personal

1 Like

Hi, thanks or this, it really helps, but nothing is found in mycloud in iTunes. Will keep going and keep looking at this thread. It is giving me a lot of errors saying unable to copy this file or folder.

What is giving errors about unable to copy the file or folder? What are you trying to do? Copy or move the iTunes Library to the My Cloud? Using what program to copy? Is the content being moved or copied to a Public or Private Share on the My Cloud?

Unfortunately working with iTunes can be problematic in certain instances.

I a trying to make a backup of my iTunes from my harddrive to my MyCloud. It keeps telling me it is unable to things, and it seems its films and everything to do with films I think. Can it copy films to the MyCloud, or just music. I have no idea what format the films are that are saved to my HD from apple, how do I find out.

Just noticed now, the program I am using is MyCloud, I point My Cloud in the direction of a file and it copies.

I cant give the exact things that are saying it cant copy, as soon as the message comes up, I get a couple of seconds to read the, then its gone. I am pretty certain its to do with Films though, but not sure what about the films. Sorry, cant read fast enough to say any more

Sorry reading this again, its been copied to both a Private and a Public server, and I have no idea how I got it to copy to a Public server. Sorry for all the short posts.

ok, that is weird, when I try to play them, it opens in Windows Media Player, not iTunes, why is that?

The iTunes server on the My Cloud will only support/stream music files (“.alac”, “.flac”, “.mp3”, “.m4a”, “.mp4a”, “.aac”, “.wav” and “.wma”), video files and image files are not supported.

If Windows Media Player is launching, that is because you are doubling clicking on the file using Windows File Explorer and the default media player, Windows Media Player in your case, is launching and playing (or attempting to play) the music or video file. Once the Windows Media Player is launched it may connect to the My Cloud using the embedded DLNA media server (Twonky) within the My Cloud. The DLNA media server is DIFFERENT than the iTunes media server within the My Cloud. To use the iTunes media server you need to use either the ITunes software on your computer or an iTunes enabled media device connected to the local network. See my post earlier in the thread for how to access the My Cloud within the iTunes program on a Windows computer.

https://community.wd.com/t/itunes-server-doesnt-work-anymore/95261/57

So I had everything working great. Then I updated to firmware 2.11.140 and boom
no itunes access any longer. I don’t see the ex4100 in itunes and when I hit refresh in dashboard it says initializing and hangs at 0%. Totally unacceptable. I’ve gone through this before with WD and ended up having to send my EX4100 back and having it replaced. I certainly hope that’s not the case with this one.

I’m having the same problems as everyone else. As soon as I upgraded to 12.4 itunes my drive disappeared from the pull down menu and now my drive can’t be accessed by itunes. As you all know, this is lame. Has anyone had any luck in restoring it back to how it was?

ITunes 12.4.0.119 + My Cloud (v04.04.03-113 firmware) working on a Win 7 PC on my end (album artwork is missing however need to look into that
 again).

Ugh. At some point over the past few weeks, my iTunes issues arose again. I’m up to date on both firmware for the ex4100 and on the latest iTunes. The ex4100 share doesn’t show up in iTunes and whenever I click refresh itunes database, it just says initializing and stays at 0%.

Anyone else?

Having this problem on 3TB mycloud. Fixed by restarting forked-daapd in an ssh window (which of course is a pretty unsatisfactory solution)

I have iTunes v. 12.5.1.21 and a new mycloud with the latest firmware. The mycloud shows up in Finder and I can access it from my computer, but it doesn’t even show up in iTunes. I have spent 1.5 hrs so far talking to WD support and all they’ve done is a bunch of repetitive stuff that doesn’t work. Yesterday after an hour they finally said they would research the problem and get back to me. I mentioned this thread and the patch for the earlier version of iTunes, but they told me that with the version of iTunes that I have, it should work just fine and there is no patch. Lovely.

Does anyone else have this problem, and know a solution?? Thanks!

Sounds like I have the same problem as you and you found a solution, but I’m not savvy enough to understand what you did
 Could you maybe explain it to me like I’m a 2 year old? Are you on a mac or windows? And have you gotten any help from WD?? Thanks in advance!

That is restarting the forked-daapd daemon on the MyCloud itself. It’s a Linux box, and you need to login via SSH, using a tool such as PuTTY:

http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=10435#mycloudos3

Once you have logged in, you should need a command:

service forked-daapd restart

I don’t use iTunes (I’d rather stick pins in my eyes, but each to his own
), so can’t test it. It’s possible this only works on a Gen1/v4 firmware machine, and not on Gen2/v2.

I’d be surprised if a 40-second reset didn’t restart it, though. I assume Support got you to do that? And disable/enable the iTunes server?

Hello,
I am encountering problem with My Cloud 2TB. I have tried on different Mac & Itunes version, but the Itunes server have issue. When I tried to load the shared music library in Itunes, it briefly try to connect & then shut down the connection. My music library is 250 GB. I managed to connect after moving all the songs into a new folder under /Public. But after a few minutes, when the server is analysing and loading all the song, the connection with the shared library was shut down. Have you a solution?