It seems my MBLD webserver is down after restarting but smb is up

Last week I did a firmware update via the UI check for firmware button.
It seems everything went fine, the drive has been working great since.

Yesterday I happen to click on the update button again and it said “Error 31155 - No Internet Access”, which I thought was strange since the drive was connected and my mapped drives to my PC were still up. I searched around online and people said it’s probably a problem with my network or router’s dhcp and I should reboot it, so I did, via the UI’s reboot button.

I saw the spinning thing saying my book duo was rebooting, but it stayed there for a long time, after about 10 mins I just closed the browser window and went about my day. Today I tried to bring up the UI and I get an error page. I thought the drive might be off but I checked it and it’s lights are on and my networked drives are up, I just downloaded a file, and uploaded a new file to check and both worked so it seems it’s just the web UI that’s down.

I have my DHCP server to assign it a static address, It responds to ping and ftp commands, but I don’t get anything when I type the address in a web browser.

I don’t want to take it back or send it in since I have close to .75 Tb of files and backups on it.

Any thoughts?

Hello,

Since you tried to reset the unit, the configuration might have changed.

Can you please try accessing the drive using the name of the unit. If stills the same, Try resetting the drive unit the physical button on the back of the unit.

See page 128 of the user manual for instructions

I reset the unit using the small button in the back.
After rebooting/resetting I’m still able to access the device via smb share, but I am still not able to access the web UI.

See if you can access the web GUI by putting the share name in your browser window.

If so you just reset the IP address etc. Reconfigure.

BTW you are better off IMO if you set the MBL itself to a static IP address instead of using your router to do it. You skip the whole DHCP cycle when the MBL boots and it’s guaranteed to come up to the correct IP address all the time.

I try to do that to all my devices on my network. I wrote out a static IP address plan then set every device itself for a static IP, so that it stays nailed to that address. Including PCs, laptops, Apple TVs, smart TVs, everything.

Be careful to leave room at the top and set your router to assign visiting or new IP addresses all above your highest static IP address.

DHCP probably doesn’t matter if you have only 3-4 devices. It’s probably essential if you have 100+ devices, but for a few dozen devices static IPs programed into the devices works best for me. I have maybe 2-3 dozen devices in my home/business network.

I’m not sure exactly what you mean by the share name but here is what I tried…
I checked the DHCP logs on my router and the box (named MYBOOKLIVEDUO) obtained an IP of xxx.xxx.xxx.100.

If I open up smb:\xxx.xxx.xxx.100 I see shares of Public, MyFiles, WorkFiles, etc…
I can access and download/upload to any of those shares or their subfolders, in that respect the box appears to be working fine.

If I open up a browser window and try:
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.100
(page not found)

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.100\Public (or MyFiles, any share name)
(page not found)

http://MYBOOKLIVEDUO
(get redirected to google search for mybookliveduo)

http://Public
(get redirected to google search for public)

I don’t think it’s an addressing issue, it seems the webserver service is down, I did some searching online and saw that I might be abel too go in and restart the webservice but I tried http://xxx.xxx.xxx.100/ssh but I don’t get any page returned. I tried ssh into from a terminal but every username I tried says connection refused. (I tried root, admin, guest, and one of my shared user names I had setup)

Try this:

http://mybooklive/UI/

Dumb question but how can I specify internal, whenever I click your link firefox or chrome seems to automaticlly make the link http://www,mybooklive.com/UI (which is someones website not my NAS).

In a side note, one of the top links when I search for mybooklive\UI is:

which is a bunch of people saying after updating their firmware they can still access their drives via mapped folders but the drive UI is no where to be found :frowning: Sounds exactly like what I’m seeing.

Ping the IP address you think your MBL is using. (From a DOS prompt.)

I get a reply, I can also ftp and telnet to that address (I get prompts to login but my usernames and passwords don’t work)

Hmmm. Telnet is almost the same as SSH. I know I can get all the important diagnostic data via SSH.

I wonder if doing a minor reset would restore your factory password. (I presume you changed it from default.)

You have to get inside the MBL other than via shares. You can’t get any place important from shares. You have to get into the full file system, be able to run shell commands, etc.

At least you have a final way out that is sure to work. You copy all your files to another storage media and do a full factory reset, de-brick, whatever.

not sure, what is the factory username/password for telnet?

Same as SSH. Pass is welc0me and … oops I dropped my pencil in class that day. It’s in the manual. Admin?

Thanks, I did rtfm but the only thing it said was using the reset button will reset the password to ‘none’. I did the reset but it didn’t seem to change anything so I’ll try using that password when I get home this evening. I fear that if I can’t get in via telnet I may be screwed since ssh isn’t responding and the UI is kaput. :frowning:

Couldn’t get into telnet, I’m going to read up on if there is a way to do a factory reset without the UI, I’ll have to read up about the de-brick scripts I saw on here as well. I see a few methods say they save the data, while bringing back the UI.I’ve just been hesitant to try them, afraid I’d end up in worse shape than I already am. At least currently I can access my data.

All the de-bricking scripts are LAST RESORT. If you have any way to Telnet or SSH back into your MBL you can probably fix it, or if not fix it at least find out what is wrong.

Also you did load and run the factory utility to find your MBL, right? I believe that is WD Quickview. Do a reset (push the button in for 5 seconds) then run Quickview.

As I recall the factory user/pass for SSH//Telnet is root and welc0me …

If you can’t get in by SSH or Telnet or the web interface then you should backup your data if at all possible then follow one of the de-bricking scripts. I have read the articles and trust me, as a retired engineer who did a lot of technical writing, there are some parts left out that should be obvious but if you are a novice all I can say is good luck, you’ll need it.

By the way if you are certain that you are using the correct address and enter http:// followed by the IP address and get nothing, that is a sure sign to me that your Apache (web server package inside MBL) is down. That happened to me although I was able to fix it because I knew what was wrong with mine. But apparently you don’t know how you got here.

MyBookLiveDuo:~# uname -a
Linux MyBookLiveDuo 2.6.32.11-svn70860 #1 Thu May 17 13:32:51 PDT 2012 ppc GNU/Linux

My Book Live Duo Firmware
MyBookLiveDuo 02.43.10-048 : Core F/W
Thu 25 Jun 2015 06:59:59 AM EST

I had a similar problem and after reading through various logs, e.g. /var/log/apache2/error.log. In addition the green light was not coming on after the boot up. The main error message was

Argument “/var/tmp/lockList” isn’t numeric in numeric lt (<) at /usr/local/lib/wdAutoMountLib.pm
line 520.

I finally figured out that the problem was that the scripts for mounting USB devices were hanging (there is no attached USB), so I was able to stop these and then restart apache2, and immediately mu WebUI came up and I was able to login OK, and the green light came on. I then added the commands to the crontab and it worked OK after a reboot.

MyBookLiveDuo:~# crontab -l

m h dom mon dow command

@reboot /etc/init.d/udev stop
@reboot sleep 10; /etc/init.d/wdAutoMount stop; sleep 10; /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

I don’t know if this is your issue, but check the apache2 error log for similar messages.