Issues with Time Machine - new backup must be created

I have found a relatively simple work around to this problem that has been working for me. When computers do not work properly, I have always found the best thing to do is reboot. Therefore when Time Machine is not working, I reboot my WD MyCloud drive.

1. In Safari log onto WD MyCloud using the IP address ###.###.#.#/UI/
  2. Settings

3. Utilities

4. Device Maintenance

5. Device Power: Reboot and select OK

This takes several minutes to execute. Afterward I relog on to the server.

1. in Finder
  2. Go

3. Connect to Server and select WDMyCloud and select user account. I generally just sign in to my main account

I am not sure this last step is necessary. I can then start a new backup with Time Machine, which is the latest incremental backup and not a complete new backup. All my backup history is perserved.

It may also be possible to just power off the WD MyCloud drive, but I have not tested this.

I am using a Macbook Pro and only have the problem after I take my computer on the road to work at another site for the day. The problem appears to be caused when Time Machine is looking for the drive and can not find it. Solving the problem may take both Apple and WD working together to fix.

Are you kidding me with this reply?  I have a brand new MAC and after my second week of using MyCloud for back up I get this message.  I am directly connected from the MAC to the WD MyCloud.

This is a WD issue. Please fix it or stop telling people your product supports time machine backups.

1 Like

dpon54 wrote:

Are you kidding me with this reply?  I have a brand new MAC and after my second week of using MyCloud for back up

Why are you replying here if you do not own this NAS?   You say you have My Cloud NAS, but this is the My Book Live forum.

I bought a MyBookLive around 5 weeks ago now.  Initially I was really impressed…until now.

But not only can I not backup my MacBook Pro anymore,  I can’t access previous backups. 

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.garth.org/archives/2011,08,27,169,fix-time-machine-sparsebundle-nas-based-backup-errors.html/

Just a thought, does anyone else have Little Snitch running?  I just wondered if that could cause problems?

Okay so I think I might have a solution.

There’s a few blogs that have various terminal commands you can use to recover your backup. 

I’ve combined some of the info from various blogs and seem to have done the trick.

I’ve written down everything I’ve done so far, I’ll post again a bit later

SOLUTION: 

This is what worked for me, hope it works for you too! 

Get a fresh start, reboot your MyBookLive, and whilst that’s rebooting restart your Mac.

Once rebooted…

-  Open a Finder window,  click "Go",  then “Connect to Server”.

-  Type in “afp://IP-address-of-MBL”   eg  " afp://192.168.0.8"

Your MyBookLive should now be connected, so head over to the TimeMachine folder and you’ll see your backup file in there.  For example ‘Bob’s MacBook Pro’.   Right click it and press “Get Info”.   Now untick the box that says “Locked”.  Close that window.

Now, right click your MyBookLive and press ‘Show Contents’.  Inside you’ll find a TOKEN file, again, right click, get info, and untick the ‘locked’ box.

Open up a Terminal window.  ( The quick way for this is CMD + Spacebar + type ‘Terminal’. )

Type " sudo su -"  (without quotes)

Enter your password

Next, type (again without quotes)  " chflags -R nouchg /Volumes/ {time machin location}  /  {backup name} .sparsebundle"

Things can get a bit tricky with this, you may need to enter some backslashes if you have apostraphes and spaces in your backup name.  Here’s an example :  “chflags -R nouchg /Volumes/TimeMachine/Daniel’s\ MacBook\ Pro.sparsebundle”

Next, type this :  hdiutil attach -nomount -noverify -noautofsck /Volumes/ {time machin location}  /  {backup name}.sparsebundle

Again, another example :  hdiutil attach -nomount -noverify -noautofsck /Volumes/TimeMachine/Daniel’s\ MacBook\ Pro.sparsebundle

Hopefully something will now be happening, but be patient with it.   To check to see if it’s doing something, you can open up a Console window (CMD + Space + Console).  And located the ‘fsck_hfs.log’   file,  and you’ll hopefully see it working.

Mine took about 25-30 minutes and looked something like this:

/dev/rdisk1s2: fsck_hfs run at Tue Apr 29 14:39:39 2014
/dev/rdisk1s2: ** /dev/rdisk1s2
/dev/rdisk1s2:    Executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-557.3.1~5).
** Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
** Detected a case-sensitive volume.
   The volume name is Time Machine Backups
** Checking extents overflow file.
** Checking catalog file.
** Checking multi-linked files.
** Checking catalog hierarchy.
** Checking extended attributes file.
** Checking multi-linked directories.
** Checking volume bitmap.
** Checking volume information.
** The volume Time Machine Backups appears to be OK.

And now Reboot

Okay, so that’s pretty much it!   

If it’s still not working, Disk Utlity will now see your backup and you’l be able to click ‘Repair’.

You can also hold ‘Alt/Option’ and click the Time Machine icon in your top bar, and click ‘Verify Backups’

If like me, you encounter error code 6584 when clicking “Enter Time Machine”, then also do the following step:

Delete the com.apple.finder.plist file  .  You can locate this file in the folder called Library/Preferences/ .   <<< Note this is not the top level Library, but the user Library eg ’ User/John/Library/Preferences/.

Reboot

I am glad to see that this worked for you - at least so it appears.  You need to keep a close eye on it for the next two weeks. Also be sure to note whether or not you are observing long hesitations during on-going backups - especially if the incremental backup is a lot bigger than normal - like over 1 gig - or if you start to see that time machine status is reporting a very long estimated time to complete the current backup. The Time Machine backup should not have long delays or slow to a crawl.  If you do see these delays - it’s a good indication that the problem is starting again.  In the case of my two older MyBook Live drives - I see the same behavior on both - regardless of firmware version.  The backup may appear to be working - but you may not realize there is an issue until you attempt to restore.  The fix you have applied has basically “repaired” your existing backup - and your sparse bundle is more or less in the same “good” condition as it would be if you had deleted the sparse bundle and started the backup over from scratch.  Whether a freshly created sparse bundle - or an existing repaired sparse bundle - the sparse bundle will probably quickly encounter new corruption.  In my opinion there is something that is not quite right with the way the Time Machine Share is implemented in the MBL firmware and it is something that WD needs to resolve with Apple.  I hate to point the finger at WD - because in general I really like WD products and have never had a WD drive fail or lose any data.  However, after two years of using the MBL I am not seeing any concrete evidence indicating that the MBL is fully compatible with Time Machine.  This is based on the many hours I have spent troubleshooting this particular issue as well as the sudden “slowing to a crawl” issue - only to see the issue suddenly resurface.

Please post your findings over the next couple of weeks.

Well, just a follow up really…

You’re absolutely right about it only be a temporary solution.

After purchasing Final Cut Pro I was forced into updating to Mavericks.  (I doubt this was the issue though)

I am still able to enter time machine, but I cannot perform backups.  I get the same error message as before about verification and starting a new backup.

Really disappointed.  It’s a great device, but this just makes it unusable.