Issues with Time Machine - new backup must be created

Hi ThierryB

I thought I had heard of most backup applications but Tri-Backup is a new one to me. Is this Time Machine-like in operation or does it handle backups differently?

UPDATE

I have just downloaded & installed a 30-day trial version of Tri-BACKUP 6 (for Snow Leopard onwards) and my initial scan of the user manual suggests it is a more sophisticated application than Time Machine. It will do what TM does and a good deal more. I find TM slow but maybe Tri-BACKUP will prove to be faster.

When Time Machine is perfect for newbies, Tri-Backup needs to spend more time before finding your appropriate configuration. You can ask it to mount/unmout the network drive before/after the backup, you can ask it to ignore some non important files (as in Time Machine), you can planify very precisely the backups (in my case, 2 backups per week for each computer, itā€™s enought for me).

I use it for inceremental backups.

Good luck ! :wink:

Hi ThierryB

Tri-BACKUP is like a Swiss Army knife compared with TMā€™s dinner knife. Tri-BACKUP is far more versatile and I am currently performing a full backup to see how long it takes and if it will do it reliably. I am hoping Tri-BACKUP will prove to be faster than TM.

I was able to setup a program to perform an ā€˜evolutionaryā€™ backup to my WD NAS without the necessity to read the user manual. However, I am familiar with backup applications which is a considerable advantage. I tend to think that a newbie to backing up will find Tri-BACKUP intimidating and a bit of a handful. TM is simplicity itself.

Same issue as everyone else. Every 2-3 days iā€™m told ā€œTime Machine completed a verification of your backups on ā€œMyBookLiveDuoā€. To improve reliability, Time Machine must create a new backup for you.ā€ So it seems Apple nor WD have come up with a fix. I am going to give Chronosync a try and Iā€™ll report back. Check it out, I have used it for years to sync to computers. This will be my first time for backup using it.

I must say, I am pleasantly surprised. The combo of Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and the firmware 02.32.05-144 have afforded me a solid month of uninterrupted Time Machine backups. After months of grief, all seems to finally be in order for my My Book Live.

Hi,

everything worked fine for quite some time, now after a restart Iā€™m having the same problem again.

I use the following workaround:

Rename the Share TimeMachineBackup to TimeMachineBackupOct2012 or similar

Create a new share TimeMachineBackup

In the backup options of the MyBookLive, choose the newly created share to be used for TimeMachine.

Then TimeMachine creates a new full backup without loosing the old ones.

Regards,

der_smo

Well, it lasted three weeks; thatā€™s not bad. Now Iā€™m back to ā€œverify, etcā€¦ā€Ā :angry: Tried to reboot everything, test everything, update everythingā€¦ same old, same old. Iā€™m at the point of giving up on either/both TM and WD-Live. I, and others, canā€™t keep fighting to find the actual problem. And so, methinks I start to look elsewhereā€¦

Hi, Iā€™m getting 3 issues with my MyBookLiveDuo (6TB) with Time Machine and Mac OS X 10.8.2 and firmware 02.31.08-067.Ā 

• New Backups Must be Created
  • WD drive is not Mac Format and Time Machine canā€™t use it
  • Can take days to complete a backup that should only take a few hours at most.

In all cases the problem goes away for a day or two if I reboot the WD MBLD, tell Time Machine to start the backup immediately and it will then all work fine for the rest of the day. The need to Create a new backup, the Format problem and the slowness of the back up is gone. About a day or two later one of or all the problems return. Another reboot and all is working again. This is livable but is a pain in the neck.

Any ideas/fixes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

One interresting thing, maybe : I bought a real NAS, a Synology DS212J with the incredibly software DSM 4.1, and I tried to backup on it with Time Machine. As I always had the same ā€˜new backup must be doneā€™ error while using the WD disk and Time Machine, it does not happen for the moment with the Synology.

The first backup was made 3 weeks ago, so I donā€™t shout ā€˜victoryā€™ too soon, but let see if it can work properly.

By the way, the backup speed is incredibly higher.

Well if it works properly with the Synology drive, can it confirm that the Time Machine issue is the WD software and that they can improve it by an update ?

It isreally great idea to creating backup of your all important data to prevent data loss issues. But in case if the backup process got fail and you unable to create back up of your proper data you may need an advanced data recovery software by which you may perform data recovery task and get back your lost data in just few simple steps.

For more information visit:

http://www.filerecovery-mac.net/corrupted-time-machine-data-recovery-from-mac-os-x

I used to get this every couple of weeks. i havenā€™t had it in about 2 months and then today, the same thing again. i guess the recent firmware update hasnā€™t fixed this, nor the latest version of mountain lion.

i wonder if this problem will ever be solved?!

Iā€™ve been having this more and more with the latest update. Ā I think Iā€™ve had to create new backups twice in the last 2 weeks. Ā It was so stable for so long too.

I am experiencing the same issues - all the updates and resets in the world are not solving it, Ā and the end result is that I never have a full backup because Iā€™m always having to create a new oneā€¦and my network is so slow due to the backups consuming bandwidth constantly.

I didnā€™t spend $500 on the MyBookLiveDuo 6tb HD to have it serve as ā€œdecorationā€ - and to have to spend extra $$ on a cloud-backup solution. Someone needs to reply to us with a permanent solution ASAP! Iā€™ve dealt with this for over a year now - and Iā€™m really tired of it.Ā 

Thanks for sharing your experiences - itā€™s nice to know Iā€™m not aloneā€¦now its time for WD to provide a solid solution!

Hi veebee

For what itā€™s worth, I spent over 10 months trying to make an ā€˜initialā€™ (first time) Time Machine ā„¢ backup to my 6TB MyBookLiveDuo (Raid 1). In the early stages it would take weeks to make an initial backup only to discover TM had failed in its task and I would have to attempt another backup. Very, very annoying. These failures repeated until I made an important discovery by watching the process list within Activity Manager. I asked myself if another application/process was possibly interfering with TM operation. There was and by eliminating them - there was more than one - I finally achieved an initial backup despite having owned my MBLD for almost a year.

I checked and eliminated all hardware issues but backing up was still not very fast. Large backups are best performed using a cabled connection but thereafter incremental backups could be performed wirelessly in a reasonable period of time.

I came to the conclusion that the WD approach to Macintosh backup using a MBLD and TM ā€˜over a networkā€™ is at best a compromise and not an entirely reliable or stable one UNLESS all possible interfering processes were eliminated. Their software is unforgiving and problemmatical if there are competing processes running in the background.

I can now perform TM backups to my MBLD NAS reasonably quickly but I came to realise that TM might not be the best software tool for the job. TM either works or it doesnā€™t and it is not good at communicating its success or failure. I supplemented TM with Tri-Backup Pro 6 (and Clone X 4) because they can operate together, AND with TM, without interfering with one another. Also, Tri-Backup 6 is highly customiseable and flexible and unlike TM is extremely informative.You are left in no doubt what has been backed up, what has not and what problems were encountered along the way.

I still perform TM backups to my NAS but I find it much quicker to use TM with a USB-connected, mini-HDD. I could perform a system restore with this backup strategy. I could perform a system restore from the NAS but it would take too long.

I use Tri-Backup Pro 6 with my NAS because I can define precisely what I want backed up. I choose to backup anything I cannot restore from a DVD or other backup set, basically, this is everything in my home directory, i.e., my personal data.

I also use Clone X 4 (Carbon Copy Cloner works too) to make periodic mirror copies of my Macintoshā€™s hard drive which I use to boot from when my Macā€™s hard drive needs fixing (re: Disk Utility and other third-party diagnostic software).

It was a struggle to get where I am today but I never gave up the objective that one day I would get my MBLD to work. It just needs a logical approach to the problem and, unfortunately, a lot of my valuable time. When I purchased my MBLD I thought I would be backing up within a couple hours following installation but my experience proved to be very different.

Iā€™m done with the so called back-up drive. It is garbage.Ā  Whether it is the drive or timemachine or the way it communicates with the MyBook Live 3 TB drive, the product is not capable of providing a reliable back-up for a Mac.Ā  In the past 2 years of owning this drive Iā€™ve had to create a new back-up over 12 times. What is the point of having a back-up if your back-up only makes it for 2 months then requires you redo it.Ā  Iā€™ve tried the fixes suggested in this forum and yes theyā€™ve worked for a few weeks and then timemachine requires a new back-up and its back to 14 hours of creating a new 489gb back-up.Ā  I most recently created another new back-up 2 weeks ago only to have timemachine require another new back-up this morning.

Iā€™m going to give CrashPlan a try as an alternative to Time Machine. Itā€™s free for local back ups. Worth a shot!

For what it is worth, WD blames Apple, Apple bames WD, I have had this drive for almost a year and it has never really worked as expected, multiple issues with performance speed on a MAC and functionality issues using time machine,Ā 

itā€™s about to become a doorstop ā€¦ expensive one but WD just doesnā€™t care about backing up the claimed functionality the use to sell these, sad that the company does this

I blame Obama and Bushā€¦Ā :smiley:

you could look at other options, such as rsync.

http://www.maclife.com/article/columns/terminal_101_using_rsync_locally

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/rsync_backup_all_your_data_single_terminal_command

I use time machine and works fine, however, I excluded just about eveything besides user files. Otherwise, 50+GB just wonā€™t fly (literaly) over my Wireless G connection.

Added:

search for time machine alternatives as well.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21518509#21518509

http://www.icreatemagazine.com/top-5/top-5-alternatives-to-time-machine/