Is using WD security with its encryption worth it?

I was about to turn on the encryption and password feature on my 3TB my passport ultra harddrive but after doing much reading and research it seems like alot of problems can arise from doing this…

So apparently if the harddrive ever stops working of the harddrives enclosure stops working and the harddrive has encryption turned on then the harddrive is not accessible even if you swap it into a new enclosure… That makes me paranoid because a harddrive or its enclosure could fail at any time then all your data is locked inside forever

Also I heard that the Western Digital Security encryption has major flaws and a university tested Western digitals security encryption software and easily broke into it… what are your thoughts?

the encryption is already on … whether you set a password or not.

i have a my book 3TB, password never set, did an enclosure swap … can’t access my data

experiment here

1 Like

wow… seriously? so you are certain my WD my passport ultra automatically has encryption turned on? Also what is the point of it having encryption if anyone can access any of the files?

set a password if don’t wish anyone to access your files

all i’m saying (above) … is, if you set a password or don’t set a password and the enclosure fails swapping the hdd into another enclosure won’t give you (or anyone) access to your files.

and btw, enclosure swapping My Passports is not that simple (or possible) … since they don’t use Standard SATA connectors