Install Debian on WD My Cloud home

Plex is running on debian. It is using software transcoding which is slower than hardware transcoding. I did not test very high definition content, thus I can’t promise it will stream full HD or 4K content perfectly. Up to 720p it streamed fine.

The sleep mode can be enabled using the monitorio.sh script that Alex-N describes in this thread. Description also in this blog: https://nerdprojekte.wordpress.com/2021/02/28/wd-my-cloud-home-to-linux-server-5-get-log-files-under-control/

1 Like

Thanks juniorred!

• HD trans: Anyone test full HD or 4K please confirm it! Installing jellyfin doesn’t fix the problem? It support HD trans (say on their web)

• sleep mode: all those steps are needed? Exceute ’ Monitorio Script’ isn’t sufficient?

• ITs not possible to orun dockers. Solution?
    Thx!

Hi @scascalesp ,
Did not check Jellyfin, but it seems to be a good alternative to plex (open source and has a Fire TV app).
Unfortunately it will not bring hardware acceleration (at least to my knowledge) as the kernel does not support it with Debian.
If you are good with Kernels, you can try compiling the kernel of the Banana Pi M4. In the features, it mentions OpenGL acceleration which may include video encoding (but also may not) M4 Image Map - Banana Pi Wiki (banana-pi.org).
Source code GitHub - BPI-SINOVOIP/BPI-M4-bsp: Supports Banana Pi BPI-M4 (RTD1395) (Kernel 4.9.119)

Executing Monitorio is not sufficient. Your disk will be set to sleep but will wake up every time a log file is written. Thus you also need to put your log files into RAM. E.g. with folder2ram.

Have not tried docker.

Is it possible to install debian 10 and OMV 5 on WD My CLOUD Home?

1 Like

Installed and it worked. I did the debian and OMV update. Unfortunately, now I only have SSH access. OMW does not start. Reloading does nothing. Please help.

Hello aldii
You mean Debian 10? Clean or update deb 9 from this post? And the new kernel?

How you can install it, with this method?: Lötzimmer: Debian on WD My Cloud Home single-bay (MCH) - part 1

With OMV 5? OMV6? Without OMV?

Please post every step

I installed this: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=467828&view=findpost&p=87961189
However, then I did some update. Now I can only enter via ssh. OMV is not working. How to reinstall it. How to reinstall OMV?

I can’t install this: Lötzimmer: Debian on WD My Cloud Home single-bay (MCH) - part 1
I have errors:
root@wdnas:~# apt-get install debootstrap
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
debootstrap
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 159 not upgraded.
Need to get 66.5 kB of archives.
After this operation, 264 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 Index of /debian stretch/main arm64 debootstrap all 1.0.89 [66.5 kB]
Fetched 66.5 kB in 0s (143 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package debootstrap.
(Reading database … 47997 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/debootstrap_1.0.89_all.deb …
Unpacking debootstrap (1.0.89) …
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.6.1-2) …
Setting up debootstrap (1.0.89) …
Exception ignored in: <function WeakValueDictionary.init..remove at 0x7f85762598>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py”, line 117, in remove
TypeError: ‘NoneType’ object is not callable
Exception ignored in: <function WeakValueDictionary.init..remove at 0x7f85762598>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py”, line 117, in remove
TypeError: ‘NoneType’ object is not callable
root@wdnas:~# debootstrap buster / mnt Index of /debian
E: No such script: Index of /debian
root@wdnas:~# cp / etc / network / interfaces / mnt / etc / network / interfaces
cp: target ‘interfaces’ is not a directory
root@wdnas:~# cp / etc / fstab / mnt / etc / fstab
cp: target ‘fstab’ is not a directory
root@wdnas:~#

Yo try this?: Install Debian on WD My Cloud home - My Cloud Home - Personal Cloud Storage / My Cloud Home Ideas - WD Community

It works. I cleared the cache. Can OMV5 be installed? Can I remove any disks? How do I find what is taking up my space on the sataa24 disk?

Is omv obligatory? what everyday feature it allows?
I’ve installed buster today, following instructions from https://nerdprojekte.wordpress.com/ I have samba, minidlna and transmission

What are you doing finally? Did you go back to version 9 of Debian? Reinstall (my post)? Only clear the cache (how)? Anything else?

As far as I am debian10 does not work with OMV5 in WDMCH (Cloud Home) Install Debian on WD My Cloud home - #206 by juniornerd

WIth this? WD My Cloud Home to Linux Server – 2. Installation – Nerdy Projects / Nerdprojekte (wordpress.com)

Without change kernel?
And omv?

with this: WD My Cloud Home to Linux Server – 2. Installation / Openmediavault – Nerdy Projects / Nerdprojekte

without changing KERNEL, no DietPi, no OMV (only buster-minimal install posted in the tutorial above)

I used SAMBA and MINIDLNA tutorial as well (these tutorial aren’t perfect - as a noob I had to search few commands on google by myself)
I also Installed transmission server via debian.wiki (basic knowledge of english is enough to do this)
Now I am trying to install PLEX ( can’t use"wget" command to yet - matter of time I hope)

ANYWAY; to everybody struggling with these: check what you need on daily basis; as far as I know OMV only ease configuration. So I’d rather spend more time once on config in SSH, instead of dealing with problematic instalation of OMV which will be used once in blue moon (probably).

All of above are my thoughts / assumptions - feel free to correct me if I’m wrong

2 Likes

I have debian 9 and OMV 4 from this link http://fox-exe.ru/WDMyCloud/WDMyCloud-Home/Debian/. I would like Debian 10 and OMV 5.

Hi @aldii
You leave spaces in between your commands:
cp / etc / network / interfaces / mnt / etc / network / interfaces
Instead write
cp /etc/network/interfaces /mnt/etc/network/interfaces
Linux commands are sensitive for spaces.

@Aresso
If you encounter problems, please leave feedback in the blog, so that the manuals can become gradually more noob-proof.
wget is installed via the command
apt-get install wget

If I install debian buster, will omv stay? I would like Debian 10 and OMV 5.

I can’t install the kernel.

@aldii I guess you forgot the ./ before the command. It is necessary to point to the current directory.
Instead of
fwtablectl-arm64 try
./fwtablectl-arm64