Install Debian on WD My Cloud home

I copied from here: Lötzimmer: Debian on WD My Cloud Home single-bay (MCH) - part 2 (updated to match latest GPL sources 7.15.0)

In OMV, in the file system tab, I have such disks. There is no disk in the disks tab.

You try to update only debian?: How to upgrade Debian 9 to Debian 10 Buster using the CLI - nixCraft (cyberciti.biz)

@aldii if you downloaded my kernel files, you would have to adjust the path…
The copy+pasting is relative to the kernel directory if you compiled the Kernel yourself.

@scascalesp running docker works with the replaced Kernel.

On paper, the Realtek chipset is powerful and has lots of encoding features - unfortunately hardly any of that is open sourced. If you’re looking for a NAS that does transcoding, stay with the original.

Regarding the harddisk-standby, I can only advise everybody to run as few applications as are absolutely necessary. The more processes run, the less spindown :wink:

1. How do I find my files after installing OMV on MCH? Where are they?
  2. On what partition?
  3. In which directory?
  4. Can some partitions be deleted?

Hi, I’ve a problem with samba. At every reboot I’ve to add again the user with “smbpasswd -a username” (from root “su -”).
The user is the same when creating debootstrap.

If I reboot I get no user with “pdbedit -L” and I have to retype the command to add it back. Any suggestions?

Sounds like your /var/lib/samba is on a non-persistent disk…

Solved, this happens when you install samba after folder2ram. If you install and add user before configuring folder2ram it seems to works.

Hi everyone, is this tutorial working even with the last firmware? because my MCH is on Firmware 7.14.0-130, downloaded the 7z from the yandex link in the first post, copied on a MBR 4 GB usb, followed the instruction… but it’s stuck on the dimmed light led, it will never reboot and after even 20 minutes… nothing. I have tried to power off the unit, but it’s the same original software nothing change, or I’m doing something wrong or I don’t know… thanks

edit: now it’s worked, I used diskpart to format the usb

Hello,
I’ve done with Debian 10 update and OMV 5 install. Now I want to resize two partitions. Need to extend /var partition(or mount it in /dev/sataa24 what’s NAS partition). Is there any possible to do that? Someone could give how-to?

How did you install omv 5 on Debian 10?

@Alex-N Did you tried Debian 11?

Afaik Debian 11 is yet to be released (probably on Jul 31).
I don’t expect any issues when doing a apt-get dist-upgrade
(Only the kernel will continue to remain at our self-built version 4.1.17)

I finally managed to get the LED working - in case anybody is interested:

could you tell me how to install omv5?thanks

hi,could you tell me how to install omv5?thanks

Do you recommend keeping the stock kernel or the modified one? (I care about security and with stock kernel ufw is not working)

I don’t understand… Stock as in original WD Kernel - that is missing most of the required modules…
The stock Debian kernel on the other hand probably would be lacking the Realtek SOC specifics.

In other words, you most likely want to compile your own Kernel (or use the one I provided).

I finally found how and where the initial uBoot args are stored by looking at the /bin/factory.spi
This is how the values can be extracted:

cd /
dd if=/dev/mtd0 bs=1 count=9216 skip=98304 | tar x
cat /tmp/factory/env.txt

I haven’t seen anything like this before - that’s the filesystem referenced in the uboot source :slight_smile:

Do you have any solution to resize(expand) partition /var in WD My Cloud Home? Because soon it will be full after a lot of debian / omv updates.

Solution for install Debian 10 and OMV 5:

1. Get new Debian from Alex-N
  2. Copy this https://community.wd.com/uploads/short-url/fZUdIGe9wirP9vmKkI5IzvcqYWc.txt as _pslinux.py to /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/psutil/ (Need sudo)
  3. Install OMV 5 from apt install or compile own.