How to securely erase data from failed My Cloud Home

I have a My Cloud Home device that is less than three years old, but it has failed. All I get is a fast blinking white light, even after resetting to factory settings. I’ve tried everything for two or three weeks now - but the My Cloud Home website fails to find it (even though it is still connected to my home network and the Internet).

OK - bad decision on my part to have purchased it - but, as I can no longer gain access to it, how can I securely delete all my backups before dumping the wretched thing in the bin?

If all else failed try

Besides the fact that the My Cloud Home device failed after such a short time, I can’t see anything unscrew-able to get at the hard disk inside.

I suppose I will have to take a hammer to it.

Avoid this product. Disgraceful.

There are reports of users plugging in incompatible power supplies to the MCH, the barrel connector on it being interchangeable with many power supplies of higher voltage and destroying the CPU mainboard.

Disassembly has been covered elsewhere but certainly using a hammer could be a more satisfying resolution for some users.
https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/78odjf/shucking_my_pos_wd_my_cloud_home/

I’m using the power supply that came with the device.

I left the thing switched off for 24 hours and have just turned it on again. This time, instead of fast white blinking, it’s now slow meandering white blinking, as though it’s too tired to do anything.

This is a bit like having to learn Morse Code to interpret the signals.

I know the device is at least partly alive as, at the back, there is a steady green light which shows it is receiving power. There is also a blinking green light which proves it is getting a signal via the Ethernet cable.

Quick update on the above. I have taken the My Cloud Home device apart and plugged the hard disk into a caddy and connected it via USB to my computer.

The disk works fine, which means it was the My Cloud Home gadgetry that had failed. But, bizarrely, Windows 10 cannot read the hard disk as it is in RAW format. There is no file system that W10 understands. W10 won’t even let me re-format it.

Let me get my head around this! So WD have designed My Cloud Home to run on Windows 10 - but when My Cloud Home fails, the hard disk (which still works) turns out not to be readable in Windows 10.

Ridiculous - and I certainly won’t ever buy a WD product again.