How to play rmvb files on my media player

I just bought a brand new wd tv media player but when I plug my hard drive onto it all the rmvb files does not show up. is there anything i can do to fix that. eg download a codex or something and put it on the machine. I really need it to play rmvb files because most of my file are that format.

WDTV doesn’t support this format, see All Products: Shop Hard Drives, SSDs, USBs, & Memory Cards | Western Digital under “Specifications”.

yeah but isn’t there some way to by pass that? Any way? I’m despret

The only WDTV Media Player that supported RMVB was the WDTV Mini
(which is super old and probably super cheap on ebay)

Anyways, if you can’t buy one … you will have to convert ALL your RMVB’s to a compatible ‘supported’ format for all the other WDTV Media Players.

can’t i Download something into the player an app or some codex because i can’t convert all my rmvbs. if i really can’t play them i’ll probably have to return it tmr and buy a differnt player but I really like this one so far

Then you’ll have to do that.

What are the chances wd will make a new update soon that lets us play rmvbs

From the WIKI

RMVB files are popular for distributing Asian content, especially Chinese television episodes and movies.For this reason, they have become noticeably present (though not entirely popular, partly due to their incompatibility with other media players)

Less than Zero

I give up I guess I’ll return it tmr

Buy a “Kodi” Supported Media Player … and then no worries :slight_smile:

RMVB is supported

http://kodi.wiki/view/Features_and_supported_formats

• Container formats: AVI, MPEG, WMV, ASF, FLV, MKV/MKA
    (Matroska), QuickTime, MP4, M4A, AAC, NUT, Ogg, OGM, RealMedia
    RAM/RM/RV/RA/RMVB, 3gp, VIVO, PVA, NUV, NSV, NSA, FLI, FLC, DVR-MS and
    WTV
  • Video formats: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.263, MPEG-4 SP and
    ASP, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), H.265 (as from Kodi 14) HuffYUV, Indeo, MJPEG,
    RealVideo, RMVB, Sorenson, WMV, Cinepak.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Devices

Yep, Kodi can software-decode darn near anything… but very few GPUs do RMVB decode in hardware, so if you go that route, make sure your hardware is beefy enough to do software decode…

well if the many media players out on the market today can software decode H.264/HEVC 1080p … then they should’nt have a problem with RMVB

anyways, i digress … who the heck still use’s RMVB ? :wink:

Heheh… The only software decoder I’ve ever tried with Kodi is the RPi-2; and it often choked on VC-1 HD streams; h.264 is done in hardware, and VC-1 requires a license purchase to do it in hardware. :slight_smile:

Hi
Of course You can.
Use yours PC and Home WIFI.
Download UMS software for your PC system, run it.
WD Tv → Video ->Source(RED button) → Server DLN → UMS

So simple and FREE :slight_smile: