How to change Path of WD Sync folder

I have two disks on my computer.
WD Sync in on my C:/ drive by default and it is occupying a lot of space. How can I change it to my E:/ drive? Anyone has done this?

Any help?

Thanks in advance

I don’t know about Windows, but on Mac OSX, you can add a new sync folder (e:/ drive). As I know, you can’t delete the default folder. Maybe someone might know how to delete the default.

I am working on Windows and I have WD Sync installed both on my personal
and work computer.

On my work computer my C:/ disk is quite full and I would like to move the
WD Sync folder to my E:/ drive.

I don’t want to lose syncing capabilities between my personal and work
computers.
If I create a new folder from my E:/ to my C:/, it will occupy space on
both my discs.

Jennifer Ferro

It will eat up the space as long as the sync still remain on that folder.

Hi Jebusx,
Thanks for your reply.
I understand it will eat space. But I don’t mind it occupying space on my other drive.
It installs WD Sync buy default on my C:/ drive, but, is there a way to move it to my E:/ drive?

Has anyone has the same problem?
I am considering on taking it back to the store and ask for money back :frowning: as I can’t figure this out.

Yes, WD sync will install in to default folder on your C:\program files. But after the installation completed. You will have a change to add a new location of the e:\ drive to sync your data. Hope that make sense.

Hi jebusx,

When I change the path from C:/ to E:/ it stops syncing.
Is there anyway to install Wd Sync directly into My E:/ drive instead of
the default folder C:/program files?

Jennifer Ferro

I don’t believe we can change the installation location. I might have to call WD support if they can help you out.

I have the same problem. Low free space on c:. I haven’t found a way to relocate the default folder (dropbox has this function). Also I can’t change the path of the default folder at My Cloud Mirror.
The way is to make another folder, but I can’t delete the default folder which is annoying. Hope that WD will add this functionality.

While one cannot apparently change the install location for the WD Sync program when one installs it. It is apparently possible to change the default WD Sync folder (the one that contains the files to be synced to the My Cloud) on the local computer by editing the two WD Sync.config files. One file (on my Win 7 PC) is located in the "C:\ProgramData\Western Digital\WD Sync" folder the other in the C:\ProgramData\Western Digital\WD Sync\<long string of characters>\WD folder.

Note: Procede at your own risk. If you goof up the WD Sync.config file and WD Sync doesn’t work, don’t blame me. Make a backup of the WD Sync.config before proceeding so you can restore it if you make a mistake. While this appears to have worked for me it may not for you.

Start by opening up the WD Sync program and adding a new sync folder on another hard drive that you want to be the new main sync location for the WD Sync program.

Next, open that WD Sync.config file in a file editor (like Notepad on a Windows PC) and look for the section between the <syncPairs> tag. Here is an example that indicates both the default sync location and a sync location on an external USB hard drive that I want to make the main sync location:

<syncPairs>
<syncPair sourceDisplayFolder="C:\Users\<username>\My Cloud\" sourceFolder="\\?\Volume{8689a3f7-4967-11e1-8763-806e6f6e6963}\Users\<username>\My Cloud\"
destinationFolder="/<mycloudsharename>/WD Sync/" canDelete="false" />
<syncPair sourceDisplayFolder="E:\mycloudsync\" sourceFolder="\\?\Volume{e374bc25-1393-11e4-8292-dc0ea1411453}\mycloudsync\"
destinationFolder="/<mycloudsharename>/test/" canDelete="true" />
</syncPairs>

To change the location of the main sync location, edit the first sourceDisplayFolder and the sourceFolder entry to match the second set of sourceDisplayFolder and the sourceFolder entries. One can also change the canDelete entry from “false” to “true” so they could delete the entry in the WD Sync program if they so desire. Save the file when finished. Make sure to edit BOTH WD Sync.config files.

Here is an example of that entry changed so it points to a USB hard drive as the location for the default sync folder. I removed the second <syncPair> line pointing to the external hard drive in this example.

<syncPairs>
<syncPair sourceDisplayFolder="E:\mycloudsync\" sourceFolder="\\?\Volume{e374bc25-1393-11e4-8292-dc0ea1411453}\mycloudsync\" 
destinationFolder="/<mycloudsharename>/WD Sync/" canDelete="false" />
</syncPairs>

Note: These are quick and dirty instructions.

3 Likes

This link shows how to move some windows 10 apps. It also has a link to a site that talks about moving applications to another drive.

RAC

PS if you are knowlegable about junctions you could move the wdsync folder for and put a junction in its place pointing to where you moved wdsync.

@Bennor thanks much for the post… worked like a charm. Had to rebuild the Content Database but otherwise very smooth and easy change.

Hi, And in OS X, how can I do this?

Thanks!
Rui Santos

This worked like a charm for me and I have been able to clean up and re-organize everything perfectly. My next step is to do the same thing on a Mac…does anyone know where the equivalent configuration files are in OSX Yosemite?

I investigated a bit and found out how to achieve this on a Mac.

1.) Download the “DB Browser for SQLite” for Mac (Link: http://sqlitebrowser.org/).
2.) Quit the WD Sync application.
3.) In Finder, go to the “Go to” menu at the top and click “Go to folder…” (or hit Shift+CMD+G)
4.) Enter the path /Library/Application Support/WD Sync/ and click “Open”
5.) In this directory, there is a file named “SyncPairsStore.wdsscd”. This is an SQLite database.
6.) Open this file with the DB Browser. It is the equivalent to the syncPairs in the WD Sync config on Windows.
7.) At the top left of the DB Browser, go to the tab “Browse Data”
8.) Make sure that in the dropdown menu called “Table” the table “ZWDSYNCPAIRSRECORD” is selected.
9.) Below that, scroll a bit to the right to find the names of the shares currently configured
10.) Select any field of the row you want to delete.
11.) Hit the button “Delete Record”
12.) At the top of the DB Browser window, hit “Write Changes”.
13.) Quit DB Browser.

Now you can restart the WD Sync program and the annoying entry should be gone!

1 Like

How do you get the volume code??
"\?\Volume{e374bc25-1393-11e4-8292-dc0ea1411453}\mycloudsync"

I no longer use WD Sync so I’m going from memory. If I remember right I had to add a new sync folder on the drive/location that I wanted to use as the new main sync location. Once done it adds the appropriate information into the WD Sync files for one to use when changing the sync folder path. The directions I wrote above (years ago) indicate this:

Start by opening up the WD Sync program and adding a new sync folder on another hard drive that you want to be the new main sync location for the WD Sync program.

I tried doing that. but my I don’t see the D drive at the add button there. My D drive is a SD card. Should be the same as your thumbdrive i think. It is in NTFS format.

Could be the operating system or the WD Sync software is treading an SD card differently than a USB hard drive or possibly even a USB flash drive. Which is possibly why you cannot use it as a location within the WD Sync program.

Thanks you very much helped me in just exacly the propblem I had.