How secure are the files in my "Public" folder? Can *anyone* on the internet see them?

@Carla_Kirsch, please see the following thread that has discussion on the encryption used to access the My Cloud.

https://community.wd.com/t/encryption-implementation-in-my-cloud/156525

The bottom line is that the communications between the My Cloud apps, the MyCloud.com web portal and one’s remote My Cloud IS encrypted. There is even a setting in the WD Sync program to encrypt communication over the local network when accessing the My Cloud via the local network.

Generally any time one opens up remote access to their My Cloud (or any network device) there exists, how ever remote, the possibility of the My Cloud contents being accessible to unauthorized users.

Currently one cannot officially hide or disable the main Public Share folder on the My Cloud. This issue has been complained about in the past in numerous other threads. For all other Shares on the My Cloud one can set them to Private and one can then set the User level of access (full access, read only access, no access) to that Share. Once set to Private a password is needed to access the Share. Note however that the Media Server (DLNA) does not by its very nature honor the password setting on a Share, instead all Shares where Media Serving is enabled will be visible to all local network DLNA clients. The solution is to disable Media Serving on all Shares that you don’t want people to access or stream media from.