How can i mount a share with different credentials .... macOS

I have been using smb lately to mount 2 public shares in macOS for a while now, using the admin account credentials to authenticate the connection.
since i never had any private or other shares setup before, did not have a need to mount anything else.
today i decided to create a new user on the mycloud, and the share it created - i set to private, so that the admin credentials cannot be used to connect to it from any computer on the network. that was my intent.
however, in macOS I can connect to that share when i force it to prompt me for the username and password, but cannot get the share to auto mount each time i login to macOS. i think this is because the public shares mount first (as admin), and then the finder is using that same admin keychain to try and mount the private share. or for some reason i cannot have shares with different authentication credentials at the same time ?

can anyone assist with this ?

this is what the paths look like when i do “Go->Connect to Server
” :

public shares:
smb://wdmycloud/Public
smb://wdmycloud/My_Book

private share :
smb://username:*@wdmycloud

quick note that the public shares i have in my login items and they’ve been mounting automatically every time i restart macOS.

Thanks in advance

anyone knowledgeable with this ?

Hello,

Have you tried contacting WD support?

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

i did not because this is a basic function which i did not see directions by doing a google search.
perhaps this is better to ask over in the apple community forum

Disconnect all mapped drives on the Mac. I understand there may be some ‘key chain’ thing with Macs to handle credentials (I dont own a Mac). Then reconnect all drives (including any public shares), using your MyCloud user credentials. i.e connect to all drives as a single MyCloud user; there seems to be no need to connect as multiple users.

that’s an interesting way to do it. if that means it would connect to the shares via the vpn that exists for my mycloud.com account. i say interesting because when i travel, i would still have access to the share using the finder (file explorer on macOS), if i understood correctly.

that does mean that my data would have to pass thru the vpn to get to/from the drive if the map is setup like that, vs just going thru my router only while i’m at home.

this is odd, because when im in windows, i have successful mapped shares of both the public and the private, where each has it’s own unique credentials.

there must be some way to do it also on macOS, i just don’t know yet.

No, I think you misunderstood me; I was talking about local access. But if you have your own VPN setup, it should let you access your local network when working remotely, I think.

IME, that is very much not the case, and Windows expressly does not allow network drive mapping with different credentials; see the second paragraph of the error message here:

1 Like

Generally a Public Share doesn’t have “unique” credentials. Anyone can access a Public Share regardless if they have a User name or not. A Private Share is different in that one has to assign User access permission (No Access, Read Access, Full Access) to the Private Share in order for someone to be able to actually access the contents of that Private Share.

As cpt_paranoia indicated (and linked to) it is generally a Windows OS limitation that prevents a Windows user from using two different User accounts (and their passwords) to access two different Private Shares.

1 Like

for windows 10, when i mapped my public shares, i used the admin credentials, and my public shares work fine.

just today i mapped the private share in the same windows 10 which i have my public shares, and that seems to be mounting and accessible without issues. so i have access to both public and private and each have different credentials.

my problem is that i cannot do that in macOS for some reason. Finder is replacing the keychain it created for the public share with the new private share info, so when i reboot into macOS, i’m getting errors connecting to the public shares, but the private share mounts fine.

i don’t quite get what you meant by using the mycloud.com account to do a local mount of my shares using Finder, if that is indeed what you meant ?

No; that’s not what I meant. I have never mentioned mycloud.com. By ‘mycloud user credentials’, I meant the user credentials for your mycloud device (be it admin, or anotehr user you have created).

The mycloud.com account has different user details (email address and password). It is for remote access, not for local access.

ok. seems that i’ve got a problem doing that in macOS, whereas in windows 10 i have connected to both public and private using different credentials for each. no conflicts arise there 

anyone know whether this issue is my error or limitation of macOS ?

I’m sure you are not connecting with different user credentials; as stated above, Windows does not allow that. You may be connecting to Public and Private shares, but you must be connecting using the same MyCloud user credentials for both.

Since I have not heard of such a problem with MacOS before, I suspect it’s your error

it’s somewhat confusing to me that I am able to map and view a private share in windows, where i’ve specifically set it up so that the admin account cannot access it, see the screenshot. that named share shows no access for admin.

so i am not sure how the admin credentials in windows would work with mapping the named share in file explorer. is file explorer using admin credentials to access the named share ?

I don’t know. What user credentials did you give it to access the ‘christos’ share?

If you want to experiment, unmap the share, and re-map it with the admin user credentials, and see if it allows access (you’ll need to unmap all drives, just to make sure you don’t have the mixed credentials problem).

If you can access the christos share using the admin user credentials, then I’d suggest it’s a question you need to put to WD, as it would seem to be a bug.

ps. I note that the christos share appears to have nothing in it (‘Usage 0KB’). You will be able to see that the christos share exists, and maybe even map it using admin credentials, but can you actually read or write content there? You’ll have to put something in it to find out.

i have a folder in the named share with some files in it. i’ve been able to access the files in file explorer.

the credentials i put in for mapping it in windows belong to the ‘christos’ user, which are different than admin.

i will boot back into windows, unmap the drive and try to do it again with admin to see if it allows it to mount.

If you gave Windows the ‘christos’ user credentials, then yes, you would be able to access the ‘christos’ share; you were connecting/logging in to the MyCloud as the christos user, not as the admin user.

and i am not having an issue with that.

my issue is in macOS, where if i try connecting to christos with christos’ credentials, then the keychain which was previously setup to access Public is modified and i cannot have access to both Public and christos at the same time from Finder.

Then it sounds like MacOS adopts the same policy on mixed network credentials as Windows does. Change the keychain entry for the public share to use the Christos user credentials?