Hdmi out not working but component out works

Hey All,

I have this issue with my Optoma HD200X projector. It definitely has to do with the handshake between the HDMI on the Live and the projo. This is the only HDMI product that I have that does this. Every other product works fine…PS3, Cable box, 13" Macbook pro. All I know is that it is VERY, VERY FRUSTRATING and making it impossible to enjoy what could be an amazing product. Hopefully the next firmware will fix this issue!!!

I have the same problem with my projector, but it has a dvi connections.  The only setting that works is 480p, actually, no matter what setting I choose, the signal outputs 480p.  I wish they would fix this asap.

Hi!

I have the same problem as mentioned above. I have an Optoma HD65 projector, that used to work before through hdmi, and now after a fw update i cant get it to work. I have already tried cutting some plastic off the cable’s plug, but that didn’t help in my case. Now i have 1.01.17 fw, hdmi still not working.

I had the same problem but It seems that after I set the Display Resolution to anything other than “Auto” it works properly.

I have already tried several resolutions, but it didn’t help.

I have exactly the same problem with a tv lcd samsung.

If i use my pc with hdmi conected tv, it is works fine.

¿Did Someone speak with WD technical support?

I got my HDMI to work, by shaving off about 2mm of the hood over the end of the cable, i.e. the covering

I found two threads in this forum that suggested trimming 2 mm from the molded end of  the HDMI plug that goes into the WD box.  This effectively increases the length of the HDMI cable end by 2mm. 

I did not believe this would work but tried it out using a sharp box cutter.  It absolutely worked, imagine that.  The molded plastic end fits flush into the socket.   This also points to a possible QC issue with some units. 

Good Luck.     

I tried and it works… let’s see for how long. Another thing I tried and worked for a while was setting the resolution myself rather than automatic. But I have the impression that all of these are only temporary solutions that may work on Thursday and Monday at 11 am ???

We need a fix from WD

Hi all,

My HDMI did not work from the get go, and firmware update was no good either. I just found this thread and tried the trimming of the HDMI plug by a few mm. Still no good initially, but after fiddling around for a while I managed to get HDMI going. don’t know for how long though. This confirms to me that the problem is a hardware wiring issue, probably down to cheap Chinese HDMI connector internal to WDTV, as HDMI leads work OK elsewhere. The HDMI interface is basically [text deleted - keep it courteous]  anyway, as it has 19 conductors fitted into a tiny connector with no mechanical securing device. I guess the slightest knock is enough to upset the WD unit, maybe made worse by the light build of the unit itself. Still this is really not good enough from a big name manufacturer, and WD should really offer an exchange to anyone suffering this issue. Has anyone officially notified them of the problem?

I have the same problem with a toshiba 46xv . Wdtvlive is plugged on hdmi_1 , hdmi_2 is free.

I’ve found a solution : when connection don’t work, I choose hdmi_2 with the remote of tv and then return to hdmi_1 and it’s OK !

I think that wdtvlive  is waiting for a signal and when the tv return to hdmi_1 it send it.

regards

After you flashed the firmware, did you go back to settings and select HDMI as the output?

My HDMI connection DOES work from the get go but the picture i’m getting is horrible-fuzzy and cropped and it’s like that the moment i enter the menu. I’ve tried different hdmi cables( cutting off the plastic end didn’t seem to work too), different display resolutions and settings  and upgraded to the latest firmware…no use. I’ve got an HD Ready Samsung TV and i’ve no problems connecting  it to my laptop via HDMI. Any suggestions or should i return the item? 

Same problem with a twist.

First, I should say that I’m using the HD Live Plus.  The HDMI connection works perfectly well with my Sony KDS-R60XBR2, but on my Sharp LC-26DV24U I get nothing. The WD Live acts as if it’s not even connected to the TV.  I can\t even set the video output to HDMI.  It just resets itself to composite.  Like the thread says the component connection works fine at 720p until I try to play a Netflix movie and then it drops down to 480p… and that’s not really what I was shooting for.

It seems that there’s some kind of flaw in the firmware that keeps it from playing.  The TV works fine using HDMI from the Roku box that it’s supposed to be replacing.  Since this problem has been around for quite some time I don’t recon we’ll be getting a fix anytime soon.  But… on that note have a lot of people had any luck with support?  I’m just asking because I don’t really know if it’s safe to assume that anyone from WD actually reads these forums.

Thank you for this posting.

I had been trying to connect my WDTV live (1.02.21)  using 2 m HDMI cable without success although the composite connection worked OK to Sharp TV model LC-32BD6X.

I had to pull off the back shell of the HDMI connector to get it to work, as it had no hood.

At times, the audio seems to drop out occassionally playing mp4 movie taken with camcorder from my usb drive?

Thanks

:smiley:

Margaret

I experienced the same problem when my unit came two weeks back. Do the following:

1. Check the settings of your LCD TV HDMI input ports. It should be in ON state (My Sony Briavia HDMI ports were off by default).

2. First connect via composite cable and then select HDMI output. When your screen goes blank pull out the composite connection from WD TV and after few seconds it will shift to HDMI automatically.

There is no issue of firmware version as my default version was very old. Using HDMI 1.3c cable with Sony Bravia EX-400 series LCD.

Faisal.

Thanks. The audio seemed to come good the next time I turned on the WDTV.

:slight_smile:

Margaret

I have no help but got the same problem. Connected my new WD TV Live to my Sony KDL-40W55 according to instruction with my hdmi cable which has worked with my PC. No connection at all with my Sony. No WD logo.

Connected the other cables between my WD and TV and chosed Component on my Sony. Now I could see the WD logo. Update to firm ware 1.02.21 was easily done.

It was now possible to select HDMI output.

I received an output of 1080p which indicates the hdmi connection works. By removing cables I have learnt following.

1 Removing the Avs cable from WD TV removes sound from video. No sound through the hdmi cable then.

2 Removing the hdmi cable gives 720p instead of 1080p. Thus hdmi connection works for video.

3 Removing all cables but the hdmi cables kills everything on the screen. Thus I need all cables connected.

Firmware on my Sony TV is 1.408EA

According to WD TV Live it should be OK connecting to the TV only with a hdmi cable. Thats not working for me.

Has anyone any suggestions?

Regards

I have problems with stuttering sound in .mov files from my Panasonic LX3 too but I will put that in a separate post.

Welcome to the forums.

Try setting HDMI output to a specific output (rather than the “auto” default) on the Live (you’ll most likely have to connect whatever combination of cables allows you to see something via HDMI to do this first).

As for audio, make sure you have “Stereo” selected in the audio/video settings menu of the Live (rather than “digital”).