[GUIDE] Install Transmission 2.77

Hola mundodisco! :slight_smile:

I think that by updating the firmware, at most you will have to reinstall Transmission as it’ll get overwritten. The bricks come from installing it with apt-get install … because of the dependencies it messes with, but with nfo’s guide you’ll be perfectly safe.

In any case, if you brick you can always recover with the other guides around. I was as yourself before messing with the NAS, very afraid of bricking it, but after the first brick scared the **** out of me, I’ve discover a world of possibilities with it! Plus, it’s virtually unbrickeable, because you could always do the “bare bones” restore of restoring the disk images from  MyBooWorldWiki repository. In fact, I’ve done that more than a dozen times in the past week, because I’ve been trying a lot of stuff with it.

Also think it like this, if you don’t use it to do other stuff like torrents or pyLoad, you’ll be wasting a lot of potential. You have a mini computer in there (Linux + CPU + RAM + hardware) sitting idle and you could take advantage of it to do a lot of other stuff!

Think about it :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks both of you!

**bleep**, I’m going to spend this Saturday morning messing with my hard drive, and probably breaking it :).

I’ll read the thread to get everything in order. Thanks for the info.

I have SubSonic working for streaming audio, too. (Guide forthcoming). It’s useless for video, but a freaking champ at audio.

Nice, look forward to the guide :slight_smile:

nfo,

I’ve noticed that all the files that “appear from within” MBL(D), I mean, downloads from Transmission, pyLoad, extractions from TorrentExpander, etc. take a random while to show on SMB on the correct folders. I mean, just now I finished downloading a 1 GB torrent, it was extracting with TorrentExpander and nothing shows in the extraction folder. I kept pressing F5 to refresh and nothing happened. In the meantime, I accessed the same folder via SSH and the files were there; I even saw them increasing in size as the torrent was being decompressed.

This behavior I’ve noticed with uncompleted torrents not showing on the Samba shares after “some time” has passed. This time might be seconds or 10 minutes.

I wonder, do you know if somewhere there’s a “publishing delay”, “publishing rescan time” or something for the Samba shares to update the actual content within them?

Hope you understood me :wink:

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, by the way, have you had any luck making TorrentExpander work with pyLoad?

WD’s scripts seem to override some of the samba functions. Take a look in /usr/local/sbin for their scripts.

They have a lot of custom scripts. monitorio.sh manages disk sleep/wake states and other disk maintenance functions, based on I/O calls. monitorTemperature.sh executes scripts based on the HDD temp, to prevent thermal overload.

There’s references to schedulerAdd schedulerGet schedulerRemove that make me think they use a custom scheduling daemon. That may be what controls samba file updates. It is probably only updated occasionally, to reduce power usage.

The system was designed with the assumption that all files would be added to shares via the network, not from internal applications. So if it updates, say, every 30 minutes, plus (maybe) whenever a file is modified over SMB, it may take a while before an internally generated file is indexed.

This is just speculation right now, though. But it seems to fit the pattern.

Edit: Unlikely, sorry. the schedule scripts are just interfaces for the web UI to add cron jobs. I’ll have to dig into scripts.

Edit2: It occurs to me that mediacrawler may be involved in this process.

Thanks for the info Child! I’m just glad that it’s not my drive doing something nasty :wink:

I haven’t downloaded any large rar sets. With a small rar file, it would show up within a few seconds a folder callled torrentexpander.tmp I think it was called and once it extracted it would show right up in my shares. It may be a MBL vs MBLDUO issue again?

What are you using for a path?

/DataVolume/shares/

or

/shares/

Maybe try changing it in the torrentexpander.ini and see if it makes a difference

I need help. How to use watchdir to add torrents automaticlly? It’s always fault when I add watchdir in settings.json, 

Are you killing Transmission before editing the settings.json?

killall transmission-daemon

Otherwise you will run into issues… I have never tried using the watchdir though

Then save the settings.json and restart Transmission

/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon start

Just so you know, there’s no need to manually add torrents to that folder for Transmission to download them.

You can just “Add” a torrent from the UI interface and there specify either:

• A link pointing to a torrent file to download. Transmission will take care of it (fetch it) and start downloading
  • A magnet link (“magnet:xxx”). Transmission will add it and the torrent itself will be gathered from other peers instead of a central server

Fantástico!! Genial!!
Gracias por este script de transmission!!

Very good tutorial - everything works great. Except, I had problems with enabling the remove_torrent_from_client option. It doesn’t seem to work. Anyone has experience wit this?

EDIT: I found the reason for this: I accidentaly run torrentexpander.sh from the root folder, which moved everything to my Public folder. I guess I should not use the command line at 3 am :slight_smile:

Also I had this weird thing happen: I was editing some configureation files (experimenting with different parameters for torrentexpander) and then suddenly I could not acces the /root folder.

I am guessing it was unmounted for some reason. After a reboot the folder reappared but all the configuration files that were present there were missing (for example, .bashrc). 

Do you know if /root is a separate partition?

Man!

All these talks now I want to set it up on my MBL. Used to have it on my DNS-320 back in the days… However, not crazy about upgrading the firmware. Does anyone know if this guide also applies to firmware 02.32.05-046?

Yes it will install without issue on firmwares 02.11.09-053 all the way up to the newest firmware :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

This was very easy and painless! You rock! Keep up the good work.

I only did the install… and customize the settings file to my desire. All working wood!

Also, my Transmission Remote GUI working without an issue.

And last, in case you want to test it again in the future and do not want it to max out your 30Mb connection, change these lines on the settings.json file:

“speed-limit-down-enabled”: true,

“speed-limit-up-enabled”: true, 

A few settings can be change via the GUI as welll.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips Shabuboy :slight_smile:

I was able to install Transmission without any problems. however, rpc doesn’t seem to work because i can’t set a username and password on the thing? am i missing something?

I would guess you would stop the server and edit settings.json in this section

“rpc-authentication-required”: false,
    “rpc-bind-address”: “0.0.0.0”,
    “rpc-enabled”: true,
    “rpc-password”: “{5d73272dade2dccb326e823e555a8bccd6c235f2SkqI2LBJ”,
    “rpc-port”: 9091,
    “rpc-url”: “/transmission/”,
    “rpc-username”: “”, 

1 Like