[GUIDE] Install Transmission 2.77

I would eventually like to replace the old script on page 1 with torrentexpander but I wanna get it setup optimally first. Either be it by me or someone else :slight_smile:

For now I’m off to bed for some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz’s

Great, have some well deserved sleep my nfo-man! :slight_smile: For breakfast, I have prepared the following specially for you:

TorrentExpander: the all-in-one automatic script for pyLoad

:stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe it could work after all for pyLoad too!

Let me know if you wanna look into it and play with it to see if you can configure it. For what I’ve seen, it would work as an external plugin from pyLoad.

If it works, then I think we’d have the perfect auto-super-download-machine up and running :smiley:

Have a nice sleep

Hey Nfodiz, i want to install Transmission using your guide, i dont care about the auto unrar unzip, so if i do everything until the

Change the file permissions

chmod 600 /root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json

Add Transmission to auto start on a MBL reboot

nano /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon

part, ill be fine right ???

What is the blocklist for ?? do i have to do that part too ?? i dont understand too much that part just paste that code in Terminal SSH ??

Thanks…

Hi talvaro, yes, you will be fine doing that.

The blocklist are a set of lists that have certain IP ranges blocked because they are (probably) anti peer-to-peer organizations, RIAA, goverment stuff, malicious users, etc. You’ll find a lot of background on why it helps and also a lot of on why it doesn’t do anything to help privacy. Myself, I added them because Transmission has the support and I wanted to try something new, that’s what I messed with the auto-update thing :stuck_out_tongue: Also, I added them with the hope of them improving performance because of less connections from junk users.

Thanks Timmy1024 for the answer and contribution, now, i am not a good Linux user, so, i didnt understand how to install the blocklist, i just have to copy and paste all that in the Terminal SSH session or where do i have to put it ??

Sure, just copy and paste it as nfo wrote in the guide, that will create a script file that on start (everytime you reboot your device) will update the blocklists and also start Transmission

1 Like

Another question to both of you, if i update the MBL firmware i suppose that i have to install transmission again right ??

@talvero, yes that is absolutely correct

The Transmission Guide has been updated with commands for those who wish to store your Torrents on the DataVolume in /Public/torrents for easy access instead of the OS partition

The Unzip and Unrar Guide has been updated on page 1 to use TorrentExpander

OceanOver wrote:

I very much like the idea of having the .torrent files stored on the DataVolume.

nfodiz wrote:

Create a folder called torrents in your Public folder

SSH in and issue

rmdir /root/.config/transmission-daemon/torrents
ln -s /DataVolume/shares/Public/torrents /root/.config/transmission-daemon/torrents

Could we incorporate this into the initial guide? If it’s a yes, then don’t forget that some people may already have files in the /root/.config/transmission-daemon/torrents directory that could prevent them from using the rmdir command…

Cheers!

Done :slight_smile:

Timmy1024 wrote:

Great, have some well deserved sleep my nfo-man! :slight_smile: For breakfast, I have prepared the following specially for you:

TorrentExpander: the all-in-one automatic script for pyLoad

Coming up next hopefully :slight_smile:

Thanks nfo, I just installed it for Transmission and it works pretty well out of the box! I’m going to try to make it work for pyLoad too; if you are doing the same, let me know if you want me to try something.

But, on further thinking, I think that the built in pyLoad extraction (although it wouldn’t be the unified TorrentExpander handling both apps), might be better because TorrentExpander doesn’t support password protected archives. And, as you probably know, most direct downloads from these hosts servers (via pyLoad) use password archives, while pretty much no .torrent comes compressed and protected with a password, so TorrentExpander wouldn’t be able to handle most of the pyLoad downloads.

In any case, I’ll try to make it work to see how it goes. :slight_smile:

Yep I was reading last night that torrentexpander doesn’t support passwords…

The native rar plugin in pyLoad may be the only way to go…

Hello, i just installed transmission using this guide, so far so good, the only thing i think didnt work was this

Add Transmission to auto start on a MBL reboot

nano /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon

It opened the nano text edit empty and dont know what to do then…

No problem, it opens it empty because you are creating the file. You should paste there the content of the guide that nfo wrote and that’ll be OK

1 Like

Yep just copy all the text in the code box below that and then go to the PuTTY window and left click it to make it the active application and right click your mouse button to paste the script

Then to save the file

Hit control and o

Hit enter

Hit control and x

Then you should be back to the normal PuTTY screen again

1 Like

Ok got it, those bold words confused me and i thought was another part not continued to the nano, all installed now then, thanks both, already downloaded one torrent to try…

I have heard that, a couple of updates back, people had bricking problems when autoupdating to the new firmware while having transmission installed. As a NAS is not something to mess with, I would like to know what are your opinions regarding this issue. Have you suffered it? was it just something random?

Thank you very much, I have searched the answer to this question with no luck. I would like to torrent by night, as my ISP throttles my connection during the day and it’s a bit of a pain, and torrenting through the NAS would be great, but is not a feature necessary enough to me as to risking my data. I know that this information is provided with no guarantees, but with your opinions is enough to me :smiley:

Thanks again!

talvaro wrote:

Ok got it, those bold words confused me and i thought was another part not continued to the nano, all installed now then, thanks both, already downloaded one torrent to try…

I fixed that now so it’s not so confusing :slight_smile: It crossed my mind that it might confuse people. I moved the thanks to Timmy up to the top of the guide.

mundodisco8 wrote:

I have heard that, a couple of updates back, people had bricking problems when autoupdating to the new firmware while having transmission installed. As a NAS is not something to mess with, I would like to know what are your opinions regarding this issue. Have you suffered it? was it just something random?

Thank you very much, I have searched the answer to this question with no luck. I would like to torrent by night, as my ISP throttles my connection during the day and it’s a bit of a pain, and torrenting through the NAS would be great, but is not a feature necessary enough to me as to risking my data. I know that this information is provided with no guarantees, but with your opinions is enough to me :smiley:

Thanks again!

Never had an issue bricking because of any mods installed on my MBL and I have LOTS. The mods will be wiped out anytime you do an upgrade though.

1 Like