[GUIDE] How to unbrick a totally dead MBL

Do you have a link on how to SSH the drive ? Thanks for your help.

Sure thing

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-Fix-Dashboard-Errors-3xxxx/m-p/513954#M16581

Only follow steps 1-4 DO NOT DO STEP 5

Then at the prompt type

This should tell you what process is eating up all your CPU

Then simply kill that PID#

Hit control x to exit the top command and type

kill followed by the PID# that was maxing out the cpu

So for example

kill1234

Then run top again and see if the MBL is basically idling now

You should now be able to access the shares and dashboard without hangs

1 Like

Awesome Guide! You saved my beloved NAS. Thank you :slight_smile:

Is there any way of enabling the SSH now? I can’t access the dash board … I am a mac user by the way. I tried cyberduck but couldn’t connect to the drive (drive is attached to the ethernet on the back of the imac)?

Drive still blinking green (for the last 18 hours !) what shall I do now ?

All what I need is to save the data on this drive.

Many thanks

I forgot, the debrick script enables SSH automatically so you can skip those steps about turning it on in the dashboard as it is already on. For Mac you should be using TERMINAL which comes with your OS

Connect the MBL to a router and try again using Termimal and typing

root@mybooklive.local

then when asked for password type

welc0me

Grizonic wrote:

Awesome Guide! You saved my beloved NAS. Thank you :slight_smile:

No problem, glad I could help :slight_smile:

tried that and got this message 

-bash: root@mybooklive.local: command not found

shall I switch it off and on again (while blinking green?!) will that harm?

Thanks

I wouldn’t as you could corrupt the partitions

So update… I just waited and I managed to connect via the dashboard, and could see my data for the first time !!!

However the colour of the drive now is violet … is it suppose to update to the latest firmware automatically? … I am having problem accessing the data now again as it is still in violet colour … any suggestions?

Nothing I can think of. I have given you all that I know to try :frowning:

How did your drive brick? Could be bad hardware?

Hi NFODIZ

The drive is very unstable, it keeps blinking green, I can access the data from the dashboard at times. I even tried to copy some documents, but it keeps disconnecting the drive half the way. I am sick of this drive and all what I want is to copy the files so my question is what is the best solution to copy the data (r-linx) or else? and If I copy the data will I be able to use it rightaway or do I need to paste it in another drive to be able to access it? (I mean will the data be readible and usable?)…

Thanks alot for your continous advise.

I personally use Disk Internals Linux Reader as it is the easiest by far to use. Just browse around until you find your data and copy it over to another drive and your done.

1 Like

Hei man, i finally got it! i connected it to a sata port and used the debrick script.Unfortunately using the destroy part it gave me the same output full of errors because it couldn’t format the new partitions (in fact on gparted the partitions were there but followed by a yellow !) i manually formatted them and then used the script without destroyng the partition table. then i booted it but i got for several times a red light due to failure while mounting the data volume. fortunately i could access to the UI so i made a factory restore and now it’s working! you saved me!

the only problem is that when i access to the UI I can’t see “view my files” and i can only access it by opening it manually from windows explorer, any suggestion? it’s not a very important problem but it would be better to fix it

Thanks a lot!

What firmware did you debrick to? That feature only came about in the last 3 or so firmware releases, so try upgrading your firmware.

Also is it possible that after you made changes in GPARTED that you didn’t click the APPLY button? Without clicking that button, any changes you make to the drive don’t actually get processed.

Also any mounted partitions can cause issues in GPARTED… I will change the guide to state you should wipe the drive clean from a Windows or MAC machine if you are gonna use the destroy flag.

Updated the DESTROY part of the guide

I recommend using Windows or MAC disk management to delete all partitions from the drive so all you are left with is unallocated space on the device. GPARTED could be causing issues making changes due to the partitions being mounted.

I tested a destroy debrick after deleting all partitions in Windows Disk Manager and everything is working 100%

I tried this unbricking script on a 2TB Western Digital drive (for WD Live Book - signle drive) and although the script completed without any errors, it fails to boot i.e. solid yellow light, after the inital blue lght. I have tried this script several times with rootfs downloaded separately and directly downloaded via the script but this makes no difference. Any ideas on how to debug what is going on especially as one can’t see any console output from the boot loader, etc…

TIA

S>

No way to debug the bootloader without a serial connection to the board.

Did you use a SATA2USB cable by chance? Is the MBL hard drive in good working order? Any issues with the MBL hardware? What caused you to have to debrick?

Lastly could you post the entire output from the debrick script?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Hi

I had tried to update my FW to the latest version and it bricked the drive

I followed this guide but the Unit would not boot past a yellow light So I followed the advice you gave to another member where a new Virgin Image was downloaded (mybook.img) this worked and I got the drive back with no data on it but that wasn’t the priority. The only problem I have now is that the drive is only showing as a 1TB NAS rather than a 2. I read some instructions on how to increase the size but this didn’t work. I would like to know if I done the original fix for the debricking, would this allow me to get the full 2gb back now that I can access the drive? If not, is there anything I can do to get the extra TB back?

Thanks

Ian