[GUIDE] How to unbrick a totally dead MBL

Yep, its running… dont know why my media player doesnt see it then, im thinking could be the nfs version…

If you browse the MBL with WinSCP to /nfs do you see all of your shares listed there?

Please try this command as well as portmap needs to be running for NFS v3 or older to work

MyBookLive:~# /etc/init.d/portmap start
Starting portmap daemon...Already running..

Firmware 02.11.09-053 is Running NFS v3 and I would GUESS the newer firmwares are running the same version

To check your version

MyBookLive:~# nfsstat
Server rpc stats:
calls badcalls badauth badclnt xdrcall
1 0 0 0 0

Server nfs v3:
null getattr setattr lookup access readlink
1 100% 0 0% 0 0% 0 0% 0 0% 0 0%
read write create mkdir symlink mknod
0 0% 0 0% 0 0% 0 0% 0 0% 0 0%
remove rmdir rename link readdir readdirplus
0 0% 0 0% 0 0% 0 0% 0 0% 0 0%
fsstat fsinfo pathconf commit
0 0% 0 0% 0 0% 0 0%

Client rpc stats:
calls retrans authrefrsh
0 0 0

Another command you should try is this

MyBookLive:~# mount
/dev/md1 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755,size=50M)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,size=50M)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,size=50M)
/var/log on /var/log.hdd type none (rw,bind)
ramlog-tmpfs on /var/log type tmpfs (rw,size=20M)
/dev/sda4 on /DataVolume type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime)
/DataVolume/cache on /CacheVolume type none (rw,bind)
/DataVolume/shares on /shares type none (rw,bind)
/DataVolume/shares on /nfs type none (rw,bind)
none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
rpc_pipefs on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)
MyBookLive:~#

Do you see those 2 lines listed in bold type?

1 - I can see Public folder in /nfs

2- Portmap daemon is already running

3- I can see the bold lines 

4- Nfsstat is server nfs v3

I’m stumped… Was NFS working before you bricked your drive or is this your first time trying NFS shares

I never tried NFS before brick, so i dont think the problem is the bricking part, from my media player (Kdlinks hd700) i always use the SMB folder sharing to watch videos, i use WiFi, i have to use it because i cant go ethernet from router to media player and few times i have some lag with HD videos, just sometimes, so i wrote to the media player to see if i can modify the buffer and they recommended me to use a NFS Server that is more customizable, and as this NAS has NFS i was trying it, so its not the unbrick problem i am almost sure, just want to try if i got better video that way, and as you know so much that was why i asked to you… 

NFS gives better performance in many cases over wired connections. Your wireless connection is gonna have more than anything to do with this issue though. I don’t know that NFS over wireless would make that much of a difference.

PM  TonyPh12345 and ask him as he would know for sure.

Hi NFODIZ

Thank you for the great effort. 

I have done the steps and put the HD back into the case and pluged it into the main and connected the ethernet cable. It started with continous yellow light and I left it over night and it is now blinking green. I don’t know how long do I need to wait before I can read the content? 

My HD is a 3TB live.

Thanks 

Hmm, that doesn’t sound right. It should only take 3-5 minutes before the drive boots all the way up and initializes to a solid green LED. It is possible I guess that it is indexing your media if you have a lot of media in your Public share?

All my data is in the public folder( about 700 GB). The rest of the drive was used for time machine.
It is still blinking green. What do you think ?

I am using a SATA docking (attached to the PC via USB). ALL the EXT where seen on linux apart from two small unallocated sector. I have done the debrick, and got the same output. So i don’t know what did I miss.

The drive is indexing your data most likely because media serving is on by default on the Public folder. It could take AWHILE for the light to stop blinking green, but when it does, you should be able to access the dashboard. 700GB of data is ALOT of data to index…

You use the DLNA server I expect?

Can you access the Public folder from a computer and see your data there? Or does it timeout because the drive is indexing?

In my initial attempt to solve the problem I removed the drive from the dashboard (wd2go site). So I suppose I have to wait to reconnect it again .

I am not a technical man at all as you can tell, so I don’t know what is the DLNA

Do you stream content to your TV from the MyBookLive using either Twonky or the WD Media Server?

No I don’t

Is there pictures in your Public folder? By default the MBL will index all media and create thumbs for all the pictures in the public folder because media serving is turned on.

You may be able to kill the process if you can SSH into the drive, otherwise I would just wait it out