Full restore

I backed up all data to run a full restore to troubleshoot the remote login issue. After upgrading from OS-3 to OS-5, remote access for all existing accounts stopped working. Could not delete existing accounts, could not restore remote logins. I was getting errors when trying to delete or re-invite existing accounts - “Seems like you have no internet connection”, which did not make sense. I contacted WD Support, providing all steps with screenshots. No meaningful help from Support. I pulled a plug on full restore to start from beginning. Now it’s been 18 hours, the progress bar still at zero. At this point I just wondering if the restore is in the progress, but takes too long to complete, or the device is frozen and won’t recover at all. This is my concern. Would appreciate any help or advise. Thank you!

Restore merely wipes network configuration and all user accounts. Only “admin” will remain, with a blank password. (NOTE: All the user data will remain; you just need to re-establish users; and link them to the shares). The device default should be DHCP; so it will be “somewhere” on the network.

Restore (aka 40 second reset) should be a FAST reboot. Up and running in 5 minutes.

HOWEVER. . . if you start setting up and enable “cloud services”. . .well then you start indexing. Depending on the unit. . .you could be in for a long haul. If this is a Gen 2 MyCloud; or a mycloud mirror: You do roll dice; especially on units of high capacity filled with media (6-8tb+)

SO - - - a fresh restart with a fresh 40 second reset may be in order.

Note there are dedicated subforums for various OS5 My Cloud devices. Suggestions and solutions for OS3 issues may not apply to OS5 issues.

Often a Full Restore can take many hours to days to finish. In some cases it may just hang. At which point rebooting the My Cloud may be the only option.

Note that on the single bay second gen My Cloud that supports OS5, due to the limited hardware used on that device, the Indexing that is performed by OS5 may take a very long time (days) if one has a lot of media on their unit. The following WD Knowledge Base Articles may have some suggestions on dealing with the Indexing issue on OS5.

My Cloud OS 5 Cloud Access Content Indexing FAQ
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30021

Best Practice for My Cloud OS 5 Cloud Access and Indexing
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30014

When updating to OS5 did you create a new account along with a new username and password?

Yes, I was able to create new accounts. However, when I invited them to the remote access, I was getting the same error “Seems like you have no internet connection…”. Then I deleted new accounts with no issues, no point for me to keep them. But it was a test that proved something went wrong with the existing accounts at the time of upgrade. I wonder if WD tested properly this use case before pushing all the users with the upgrade.

@vdubrov62

I’ll try this again, when you updated from OS3 to OS5 did you create a new account (Administrative Account) for your device? This would have required you to create a new Username and Password for an OS5 account. OS3 account would no longer exist.

See the, * The My Cloud OS 5 Upgrade

My Cloud OS 5 Online User Manual (wdc.com)

Just to be clear; The OS3 and OS5 logins, websites, and apps are different.
During the “upgrade”; all the shares are preserved; but the user accounts are not.

To me; it’s not exactly clear what device you using or what is happening on the machine.
What hardware do you have? What capacity?
If you did a restore - - -is there still data on the drive?
Do you have cloud services enabled? You need “cloud services” if you are going to access via the OS5 “app”. (The OS3 app is no longer live and supported).
If cloud services have been enabled; the device may be indexing. (High CPU usage; states “indexing” on dashboard).

Indexing on a MyCloud, or a MyCloud Mirror can take WEEKS. It can make the machine fairly unresponsive during this period. (we can discuss why elsewhere)

Have you checked your My Cloud’s Dashboard to see if it indicates an internet connection? Have you set the correct date/time and most importantly set the correct time zone in the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings?
When you updated from OS3 to OS5 did you create a NEW cloud account and then enable cloud access to your Shares?
Does the cloud account you created when upgrading from OS3 to OS5 see the My Cloud when you log into the OS5 Mycloud.com web portal?

I am using this device ‘WD 4TB My Cloud Personal Network Attached Storage - NAS - WDBCTL0040HWT-NESN’ which I purchased in 2016. I did the upgrade just after they came up with OS-5. I did not have to create a new admin account. It did not prompt me. Old admin account worked to log in locally by going to http://wdmycloud/# to access the dashboard with all settings. Remote access with new OS-5 app stopped working for existing accounts giving this error “No compatible NAS”. Re-inviting existing accounts was giving the error code 403. All shares and files were preserved. I could access data on the network and stream media files to my TV. Only remote access was not available for old or new accounts.

I started full restore on 12/10. The device is not accessible after that. The blue light is on. The device is not shown on network any more. It was shown after I started the restore, but was not accessible. Now it is not showing at all. Will it come back after restore done?

No, I did not create a new admin account. It did not force me. Old admin account worked to access locally to the device.

That’s NOT My Cloud OS5. You’re running OS3 firmware version 2.31.183, which is the source of your problem. All OS5 firmware versions start with the number five.

Your screen capture shows you ARE NOT running OS5 v5.x firmware. That explains why the OS5 app isn’t working. Additionally you are running a very old v2.x OS3 firmware version, from 05/20/2019. The last version of the v2.x firmware is 2.42.115 (1/18/2022). You may need to update to 2.42.115 firmware BEFORE attempting to update to the OS 5 firmware.

Upgrade My Cloud OS 3 Firmware to My Cloud OS 5
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/29813/

Actually, the latest firmware update I did was on 12/10 to 5.25.124. Whatever the newest version was available for the device I was updating. The screenshot I attached is old from 2019 (the only one I had). Sorry for confusion.

I’m curious. What led you to believe that posting a screenshot of OS3 would help solve a problem with OS5? They may look similar, but they are NOT the same.

Actually, WD are the one’s who should be sorry for the confusion. Their incompetence is legendary.

Then you should have made that clear to avoid confusing others.

If you can access the My Cloud Dashboard try doing a System Only Restore to Default if you haven’t done it already. If you cannot access the Dashboard try doing a 40 second restore via the pin/reset button on the back of the My Cloud. Then reconfigure the My Cloud from scratch and see if the issue persists.

How to Pin Reset and System Only Restore My Cloud OS 5 Devices
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/29445