Freezing, memory issue and cannot update firmware

Hi, I hope someone can help me.  My unit lately has been freezing every 15 minutes or so when I am watching a program via a sub attached to the WD Media Player.  The remote also won’t work when this is happening and I  have to pull the cord out of the power point and reboot all the time.  Further, I am connected to the Internet however I cannot check for updates for firmware as I get an error message saying that I am not connected to the Internet (and I am).  Now I am also getting the  problem of low battery and saying do I want to reboot,  what in the heck is going on?  I am getting very annoyed.  Hoping someone can please help me.

kind regards

Yvonne

Hello I have de same problem with my equipment, how it was solved?

I’ve been having the same issue, just as described above. Please help.

Hi there! As i found in a different topic comparable problems with the wdtv smp that came up in the last days i tried to DISABLE the WiDi (wireless display or miracast) in the network settings… Finally no more hanging up or not answering the remote control… and the best: the responsiveness of the state before last years firmware update is back!!!

working fine for the last 3 hours!

Hi juppieduuh,

do you mean you disconnected the player from contacting the Internet?  Sorry i am not really sure what you mean.

vonnski

Having same problems. Freezing during a video and unit freezing during sleep mode. Manual reset (pulling plug) and device reset via system setup is making no difference. Have tried multiple USB flash drives and it makes no difference, so that is not the issue.

Running firmware version 2.02.32. Have tried re-installing version 1.02.17 from the web site using their instructions, but the unit is not recognizing the four required files from the USB flash drive as per instructions.

I tried turning off Miracast. Makes no difference (at least not to me).

Any thoughts from anyone?

So I THINK I HAVE found the answer (at least to my problems with no guarantees that it will fix yours). A few things…

1. I’m very confident the freezing issues most (if not all) are reporting are firmware related.
  2. The answer is (as others have recommended in various community threads) downgrading the firmware.
  3. By me doing #2, my freezing problems have disappeared.
  4. BUT keep in mind this might not solve every problem for everyone.

So what’s the best procedure? Don’t follow any instructions but those from JoeySmyth in this thread (IMO)…

https://community.wdc.com/t/2-02-32-firmware-no-longer-allows-content/83987

…or from the cut & paste of the same below (with a few notes from me in BOLD)…

So there you go. Good luck, but all I know is that it worked for me.

Is it for 3rd or 4th gen player? Does it make a difference? Will 2.01.86 install on the 4th gen player?