Formatting a My Passport Wireless Pro 4TB

I have a 4TB version which had problems of suddenly disconnecting by itself. I had noticed that via the HD Sentinel program, that the drive has a 24.000 plus Start Stop which is way too high compared to another WD External I bought at the same time which has only 190 StartStops.

How do I safely Format this drive and Keep the Wireless Capabilities? Is it just like a simple HDD format from windows?

Is it better formatted as NTFS or ExFAT? I plan to use this more as a streaming storage for my Android phones.

I have an older My Passport Wireless which i’ve reformatted a couples of times without any issues … Wireless functions still works perfectly fine, which i assumed it would because that function is built into the hardware/firmware and is not wiped/lost if you re-formart the internal hard drive.

Edit: Page 58 of the user manual says you can reformat it

https://www.wd.com/content/dam/wdc/website/downloadable_assets/eng/user_manual/4779-705118.pdf

Edit 2: The User Manual (Page 52) for the WD My Passport Wireless Pro also says it’s ok to reformat it.

Can I reformat this drive to another file system?

Yes. The My Passport Wireless Pro/My Passport Wireless SSD device can be formatted to NTFS, FAT32, HFS+, and exFAT

1 Like