Folder download on OS5

Unthinkable and uncacceptable that folders can’t be downloaded in OS 05 and that this problem has not been addressed or replied in any way by WD. I spent 2 thousand dollars in 4 My Cloud devices. I would galdly return them if I was refunded. I will NEVER buy again anything from WD. Better spend money in cloud services, more reliable and with full functionality backing up, downloading and uploading folders.

2 Likes

I agree. I believe OS5 is more oriented to photo sharing than file sharing, but even that is mismanaged. You cannot sort your photos by file names in albums, either!.

Totally agree; this cloud OS is terrible. I joined this forum just to say this.

And I can’t believe that as a solution to this, representatives of WD suggest going through the network into the device itself without using their OS to be able to download a whole directory. Cloud OS is something to be used remotely, not on the computer that the NAS is connected to. Stories of using a VPN or VPN tunnelling to be able to join your own network to avoid My Cloud OS itself - are not a solution. As well as clicking the multiple files option by pressing the “Shift”.

I may have hundreds of small files in a directory or a directory with several directories, each with 20-30 files. My cloud is practically unusable in these situations or is a joke of the user.

I have different NAS, different NAS os experiences - not going to mention rival names here. And sure, they are a different products. But people here complain not about app integrations or many extra features that cloud could have - people here complain about a very basic thing - they just want to download from cloud a directory directly.

Adding my workaround here in case anyone else is still looking for a way to download folders in bulk.
Totally agree with the above, and now with the ability to use the file explorer as before being discontinued this feature is more needed than ever.

Quick-fix for me was to plug a USB into the back of the harddrive and use the “Copy USB” option on the browser. This gives you the option to copy to or from the USB, and select the files you want to copy, including folders.
You can navigate through your files by clicking the name of the folder, or pick the folder itself (in my case a root folder containing thousands of folders and sub-folders) by clicking the folder icon.
You can then click copy and it will copy to the USB (might take some time), which you can then plug into the device you wanted to download them to in the first place - yes it could be the exact same one you’re using for the above.

Hope it helps until this feature is restored.

Only works for those who have physical access to the My Cloud. Will unfortunatly be of no help to those using the My Cloud OS5 Mobile App from a remote location.

Another option, if one plans ahead, is to configure a VPN server on their local network containing the My Cloud. Then access that VPN server via remote connecting using a VPN client on their device. From there one should be able to access their My Cloud with Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder or a mobile file manager app and copy files and directories back and forth. Some consumer routers will have built in VPN servers one can enable for remote access to their LAN.