Firmware upgrade - now won't play mp4/avi?

So… I have a bunch of mp4 and avi files that played fine before the firmware upgrade. I just upgraded the firmware an now files that did play, will not play. 

I am seeing posts about “roll back the firmware” from members.

I am seeing posts from admins saying “we have passed this on to support, please click solved/kudos”.

Let me just say, as a professonal software developer, THAT THIS IS UTTERLY DISGUSTING. HOW CAN YOU RELEASE FIRMWARE FOR A MEDIA PLAYER THAT DOES NOT PLAY MEDIA.

And then, tro make matters worse - you have not fixed it?!?!?!!

I DEMAND SOME SORT OF EXPLINATION NOW.

1 Like

Almost as bad as a previous WD TV firmware release, that corrupted files on any attached HDD!

Timothy83 wrote:

So… I have a bunch of mp4 and avi files that played fine before the firmware upgrade. I just upgraded the firmware an now files that did play, will not play. 

I am seeing posts about “roll back the firmware” from members.

I am seeing posts from admins saying “we have passed this on to support, please click solved/kudos”.

Let me just say, as a professonal software developer, THAT THIS IS UTTERLY DISGUSTING. HOW CAN YOU RELEASE FIRMWARE FOR A MEDIA PLAYER THAT DOES NOT PLAY MEDIA.

And then, tro make matters worse - you have not fixed it?!?!?!!

I DEMAND SOME SORT OF EXPLINATION NOW.

How about, we’re working on it.  Unfortunately, I can’t give you anything definitive until I have something.  And I will most certainly announce it once we have something.  Nonetheless, I do apologize for the inconvenience. 

Do not you can give a solution now? Then do not put products on the market that do not work. That is called scam. I bought WD TV mp4 2014 and many do not work and not according to other owners, has not worked from the beginning, that 4 or 5 months ago. Have you got quality controls?

Bill_S - this is not an explination.

[Deleted]

“How about, we’re working on it” It’s been two months pal. Thats nine weeks. Even at a sloppy 30 hours a week with a single developer thats 270 hours. An actual professional developer could have written the firmware from scratch with that amount of time. Enough is enough.

How about you get some quality assurance?! FOR EXAMPLE TEST PLANS BASED ON USE CASES. TESTING!!! How about you compare the current code base with the last release branch. As I said - I am a software developer by profession and this sort of **bleep** would end up with someone fired or at least severely reprimanded. 

[Deleted]

So back to my origional question - how did you manage to release firmware for an mp4/avi player that does not support mp4/avi?

Timothy83 wrote:
So back to my origional question - how did you manage to release firmware for an mp4/avi player that does not support mp4/avi?

Easy, by NOT owning every **bleep** version of (crappily) encoded files out there. Guess what, my few test MP4s still run under 2.02.32. Being an actual professional developer you should be able to imagine the sheer number of codec/container combinations out there. I’m pretty sure, WD added some of those files to their test collection, I know I did and I don’t even use MP4s (why should I if MKV exists?).

Have also had the same problem with two devices (WDTV Live SMP with firmware 2.02.32, and WDTV Media Player with firmware 1.01.32).

Rolling back to version 2.01.86 worked with the SMP, so have two quick questions please…

1. Will rolling back to version 1.01.26 work with the latest WDTV Media Player? (specifically does it have iplayer, and allow local media (mkv on usb hdd) to work after using internet app such as iplayer)

(I ask because the box is not mine and do not want a brick; it seems that version was not available for long according to another thread so was wondering if it was problematic?? - http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Media-Player/Firmware-1-01-26-for-WD-TV-Gen-2-WDBPUF0000NBK-00/td-p/775365)

2. Is there any update on progress for firmware for the SMP and Media Player boxes? (ie to fix problem with local media not working after internet apps used)

I appreciate that Bill did say he would update on progress, but am guessing the problem may have been being worked on for maybe a couple of months now, so was hoping for an indication if a firmware update is likely, say in October, or after Christmas, etc.

Many thanks

Andrew

I don’t have any problems with my MKVs nor with watching from local USB after finishing Netflix on 2.02.32. Since this is the new player’s forum why do you crosspost?

Not sure how this is a cross post as the questions directly relate to the new box?

1. Will rolling back to version 1.01.26 work with the latest WDTV Media Player?

2. Is there any update on progress for firmware for the SMP and Media Player boxes?

There is a mistake on my post when I say that I am running the latest box with 1.01.32 - should read 1.01.30.  I am enquiring as to whether version 1.01.26 works, and also if progress is being made on firmware update (including new and old boxes).

Thanks

Andrew

luxybaby wrote:

1. Will rolling back to version 1.01.26 work with the latest WDTV Media Player?

2. Is there any update on progress for firmware for the SMP and Media Player boxes?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

1. Yes it “works” … and it won’t brick your device (i tried it myself earlier today)> No, it doesent fix the mp4 bug … can’t comment about other things (been busy today… don’t have time)> why no working WD download links ?  who knows ?  but the fact is … it’s still there on WD servers.> http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtv_1.01.26.zip> 2. No, WD don’t usually (or ever) provide progress updates … they just “Announce it” check the “Announcements” daily if you wish.> http://community.wd.com/t5/News-Announcements/bd-p/Announcements

1 Like

Really helpful post, kudos given, thanks.

Does anyone have any idea why the problem occurs, or more to the point, what “workarounds” there are?

So far the only solution I have found is to power down (ie Hold the red button on remotel not a full power off cycle removing cables or anything) - personally I find this unworkable as 1. it is time consuming, 2. I worry about how this will affect life of USB HDDs and 3. it doesn;t solve the fact that the firmware does not work.  A previous fault was that with external HDD attached, web apps would only have sound if a local video was viewed first (not as big a solution to implement

I am as certain as I can be that it is not a HDD or encoding fault.  (ie it affects all files [jpegs for instance], and the mkv files [created with makemkv] had worked perfectly before [and still do, unless web app is used!!].

This occurs on the new box (1.01.30) and the previous gen SMP box (2.02.32).  I know the bbc iplayer was updated on both these firmware versions (i am a UK user).

Thanks again Joey

Andrew