Firmware or HDD issue?

Hi,

I’ve just got my new WDTVLSMP. I updated to the latest firmware (1.16.13) and things are pretty bad. I haven’t tested with previous versions.

I have a 1TB external disk, and when trying to “compile media” it freezes. I don’t have a problem while sharing network files, but since i don’t have a good router to stream HD files I’d like to keep my disk conected to the SMP. 

The first time I connected the hdd it took ages (hours) to “compile” the information, then it kind of work, but then I tried adding more files to the disk and when i re-plug it it hangs. I don’t know why this is so slow, and why it freeze all the time… it is very annoying. 

what do you think: is it a disk or firmware problem? 

what do you reccomend for next steps? rollback the firmware, factory reset?? what else is possible?

Appreciate your help and experiences sharing.

Make sure you “eject” the HDD and not just unplug it when you add new files.

Thanks,

I’ve tried ejecting it while posible and re conecting.

I’ve tried hitting the reset button bellow the unit.

It always freezes up again when i connect my External USB Seagate disk.

I can’t use the unit with the External storage disk… is so very frustrating.

Do a disk check with the HDD connected to your computer.  You may have some errors on your HDD.

Why are you using the media library?  Is there a feature that requires the media library to be turned on that you wish to use?

Thanks PGRated,

what do you mean by “why are you using the media library?” I never said that. unless it’s the “compiling media” thing

Is there a way of turning off the “compiling media” future ??? that would be great… I’d be happy to only browse by folder!!!

I will check my HDD tonight…

Yeah, if it says ‘compiling media’ then you have the media library turned on.  Go to SETUP >>> SYSTEM >>> MEDIA LIBRARY >>> OFF.  That should turn it off and speed up the unit.

1 Like

The media library is turned on by default.

Thanks PGRated, i think that will work for now

Folks are trying to help here and that’s great, but the ball has been dropped.  Are you using the rear USB port or the front one on the device?

It is a fact that the rear port does not work correctly and WD can’t fix it by any practical means.  The web and this forum is littered with incidents related to the “rear port problem.”  Here is one thread:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/Intention-to-finalize-a-rear-USB-port-issue-drives-USB-3-0/td-p/392589

If you are attempting to use the rear port, it may work for a while but you will definitely encounter freezes, errant ejects, multi hour file transfers, etc.  This problem has been reported tons of times over the last year.  The problem is big enough to make some new users return multiple devices and then conclude that the thing is just junk and doesn’t work.   WD obviously knows this and if they could fix it they would.

I like the WDTVLSMP but I never count on that rear port so I’m only mildly irritated.