Firmware 2.02.32 Bugs (Lots of Problems need fixing ASAP)

WD have in the past continued firmware releases for old products - for a time.

Indeed the last firmware for the WD Live Streaming (August 2014) was essentially that of one released for its replacement the WD TV (less Netflix) done only a few weeks earlier. I suspect the two boxes are identical inside as we gained a shed load on free enhancements - unfortunately along with those annoying bugs we are all suffering from.

So, I still feel positive we can get bug fixes from them as rebuilds should be trivial and they can use the new box as a test bed for the old box… probably. But it has been a while, and the longer this goes on for the less likely we will ever get a new build. WD have not stated one way or the other… yet!

So live in hope, and reboot 5 times a day, minimum! :confounded:

At RoadRanger

if so then a heads up from the makers would be nice so i can go get a minix x8

also if they have give up on it then they should unlock the firmware so users that know how can fix it themselves

i’m starting to think your right :confounded:

Alcam

“So live in hope, and reboot 5 times a day, minimum!”

if i use my usb hdd and netflix only, then its usable with a 2x a day restart

if i use anything else them it’s many restarts or i get lockups

i got so sick of it i got this…

https://energenie4u.co.uk/catalogue/product/ENER002-4

Well, you could try and provide info for this, so it might be possible to narrow things down.

wasn’t aware the feedback had been spit

anyway the balls in their court, not ours

it’s time they gave us the fix as they have had the info we all have provided over the months

with more powerfull boxes coming out it may be time to move to a new box

It’s fine if you don’t want to do WD’s work for them. Still, there hasn’t been enough info provided to get to the bottom of why some people need to reboot constanly while others have been unaffected since day 1.

I understand your point of view, but its frustrating for us all

on the reset thing, i think its because of how the box is used

if its more hdd files i can go a week if i don’t FF or RW a lot

netflix two to four days, but if i look at lots of thumbnails then only hrs

youtube ever hour for a restart

if i mix apps then thats when the problems start

from computer xp (used to code in 3.5k of ram) I’m thinking lack of ram, memory management, memory leaks and bad apps

as soon as it slows the ram is almost full

RoadRanger wrote:

arjones85 wrote:

We are now into March 2015. This firmware *still* causes me many headaches.

Can we have an update on where the new firmware is in the process that will replace this terrible release?

Since it’s a discontinued product how does “never” sound? :frowning:

The problem of course isn’t them discontinuing the product, it’s doing so with no public admission at the time that was happening AND simultaneously pushing out a destructive update as the last supported firmware.  In one fell swoop, other than the occasional person who pops up saying they’re fine (usually because of their useage patterns), it basically ensured they lost the customer loyalty of most of the current user base.  Who might have WILLINGLY upgraded to a new product if they hadn’t gotten so badly screwed by WD at the ending of support on this one.

1 Like

WileyCoyote wrote:

The problem of course isn’t them discontinuing the product, it’s doing so with no public admission at the time that was happening AND simultaneously pushing out a destructive update as the last supported firmware.  In one fell swoop, other than the occasional person who pops up saying they’re fine (usually because of their useage patterns), it basically ensured they lost the customer loyalty of most of the current user base.  Who might have WILLINGLY upgraded to a new product if they hadn’t gotten so badly screwed by WD at the ending of support on this one.

As I said this is WDTV product #3 that went unsupported on me so I guess I’m used to it :cry: . I think their only remaining product has less features than this one so that’s not an option for many of us :frowning: . I don’t actually use the online services as the interfaces **bleeps** big-time compared to my Roku. I think I have 4 of the Rokus now, two probably will never see an update as they are long discontinued  but who knows?

1 Like

The high bitrate file playback will have less problems because of the low GUI involved

The youtube lock up at start up maybe it cant find the TCP/IP stack

Hi guys, I removed one post to keep the conversation on track. Remember to always keep the discussion friendly. 

1 Like

WileyCoyote wrote
other than the occasional person who pops up saying they’re fine (usually because of their useage patterns)

Yeah, playing back high-bitrate files from USB and NAS for hours on end. Must be an usual useage pattern for a media player like this.

I guess we forgot:

After inserting go to “Alert” there you will fin the firmware upgrade instructions

im having the same problem with youtube, must login to netflix first or else it reboots box

This is the 2nd time for me that WD did a “hit and run”.  The first time was with the WD TV Live Hub.  I don’t remember having it for very long, but they pushed a firmware update that was buggy.  I kept checking back on when the fix would be available, but WD never responded.  It wasn’t until several months later that I read in this forum that the hub was discontinued.  Now that they did it again with this model, I think its their business model is to “break the previous model to push the new one.”

I’m currently using the 2nd to last firmware version since its more stable, but I would really like the miracast.

I am not going to do this with WD a 3rd time. I periodically check competitors and open-source solutions for a comparable and cost effective solution for when its time to upgrade.  When I do upgrade, it won’t be with a WD product unless something miracles happens with trusting them.  I haven’t found another product yet that does decoding of most codecs on the box, apart from setting up a NUC or something similar.

I used to rave about WD TV Live even after they pushed a bad firmware on the hub and stopped supporting it.  Now I don’t recommend the TV Live line at all despite the great features it offers.  I feel that this behavior is a practice and not a coincidence.  I’m disappointed about it since I think the features of WD TV Live are superior to their competitors.

Am curious but my two units often become unresponsive after a few days and need a power cycle - is that likely a memory leak but in this latest buggy firmware? Does rollback fix this? I wish they would host the rolled back firmware disguised as new firmware so can easily do it through the device UI. My computers broken so cannot prepare my own usb

Scottyboy99 wrote:
My computers broken so cannot prepare my own usb

ask your friends ,family , neighours etc … if they will let your use their computer(s)  for a few mintues

alternately … get your computer fixed

Ok. It’s lame that WD don’t update the firmware though. I cannot afford to fix it so would of been good for the masses if they hosted the rolled back firmware masquerading as a new firmware through the device.

Before I go through process of bothering someone to prep the USB for me does roll back help with the constant need to power cycle these units every few days. Even if they go unused for a time I still end up having to power cycle them as they drop off the network. I presume this is a memory leak bug that I have seen mentioned quite a bit

it’s a probable memory leak and the fact that it has very little free RAM and also the apps are not “giving back” RAM they’ve taken

I have to restart at least once a day as I use Netflix

Playing HDD files will last days without a reset

This wouldn’t be as bad if it came with 4GB

Ok thanks for your feedback. Are you running the latest firmware or have you rolled back? I’m just keen to know if rolling back will help with the memory leak/need to frequently restart. Only because given my circumstances it’s a mission to get a USB prepared as it involves disturbing other people. If it doesn’t really help I’ll prob not bother and just cling to the vague hope WD might issue a new more reliable firmware

Also do you lose miracast by rolling back to last firmware? What is miracast, is it the thing I see in the upper right of the YouTube app on iOS devices? Kind of a tv symbol with wifi pulses on the icon. If I press it, then it lists my 2 WD devices