Firmware 2.02.32 Bugs (Lots of Problems need fixing ASAP)

When I have paused or stop a film and then go back to it the unit will not resume as it keeps looking for the file forever, the only way to fix this is to do a power cycle on the unit then find the file on my NAS again, it will then play from last point.

I think I will go back to the previous firmware for now.

Please fix soon.

Hi all, just updated my unit with the latest firmware (v2.02.32 08/2014) and am experiencing issues.

• It freezes and needs to be unplugged & replugged. 
  • I repeatedly get “Low memory” issues and need to reboot, and 
  • it is unresponsive to remote control. Sometimes it buffers the buttons pressed and eventually goes through the sequence of buttons pressed in frustration over the previous 10-15 seconds.

Anyone else having this before I go through an attempted downgrade 
Thanks in advance!

fernandoblazin wrote:

Hi all, just updated my unit with the latest firmware (v2.02.32 08/2014) and am experiencing issues.

• It freezes and needs to be unplugged & replugged. 
  • I repeatedly get “Low memory” issues and need to reboot, and 
  • it is unresponsive to remote control. Sometimes it buffers the buttons pressed and eventually goes through the sequence of buttons pressed in frustration over the previous 10-15 seconds.

Anyone else having this before I go through an attempted downgrade 
Thanks in advance!

I have had all of these, but suspect they are all caused by the same thing: memory leaks. Specifically the YouTube app leaks memory like a sieve! I suspect the iPlayer app also leaks, but difficult to tell when I tend to flip from one to the other.

It is always worth doing a hard restart (long power key press so u get that irritating “double” screen display at start-up next time) after using YouTube with current firmware before attempting further box use anywhere - even playing vids can take an age to start and I rarely ever get the low memory warning.

A couple of times the box has got so unresponsive I considered it dead and reluctantly pulled the power cable out, but try and avoid if u can of course because it can corrupt your settings.

ps: I am pretty sure low memory is not causing the MP4 videos not playing issue.

So WD, still waiting a fix…:confounded:

Yep the youtube app has had a memory leak for a long time

doing a device restart from the menu seems to work fine, and i do that after watching youtube to stop it slowing down

though if it slows to the point of taking 10 minutes to get to the menu then a unplug is the only way

i paid out for a remote plug socket to save me bending all the time :smiley:

The problem is they are doing too much with too little ram

i think it’s only 512mb

My Playstation 3 a few times became sluggish and crashed after watching YouTube Leanback

Memory:

• 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
  • 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

I personally think it’s a YouTube problem … and the code should be cleaned up and rewritten with scalability for low and high memory on devices.

Its an interesting point: where does the externally supplied code for an app end and where does WD responsibility start. Quite how much hammering WD have to do to integrate external software intrigues me: is there some common api WD support and YouTube code to or is it a more proprietary interface for each app. Even then it can be quite… political who got it wrong when division of responsibilities is complex: I return an error/u must free this type issues across an interface.

“We have passed this along to support”

WHERE THE FIX ALREADY!?!?!?!

They’re certainly doubling their efforts cause you keep up your whining. Yeah, right.

With the latest firmware, no codec seems to work.  No matter what type of content I try to view (.wmv, mkv, etc.) the player just stalls wtih the circling arrow on the screen.  This happens when viewing network share or locally attached hard drive. QUIT BREAKING THE PLAYER!!!  It is useless to me now.

Although mp4 video file is brocken it is only for a few files, unless u r very unlucky. If u r having issues with all your video files of all types I think u are suffering from the other major problem with the latest release: the memory leaks in YouTube and other apps. Make sure u do a hard reboot (5s power button press on remote or via setup/System/Device Restart) to truly reset the box makeing all its memory available for video decoding. The other thing you may need to do a one off clear your settings with a Device Reset as this can affect u after a software update in very weird ways I have heard. Don’t give up on it yet, but yes an update is needed.

mercator1 wrote:

With the latest firmware, no codec seems to work.

It’s either  this or one bad file that blocks playback of any good file until the player is power-cycled. Do that, and it’ll work again.

Hi,

With the newest 2.02.32 Vimeo app disappeared in service. So I have rolled back the firmware to “Firmware Ver. 2.01.86” and Vimeo apears and works fine. But when I upgrade the firmware again (2.02.32), Vimeo disapears again. So I stay in 2.01.86 but it’s not a solution.

see my reply … and please don’t double post.  thanks

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/2-02-32-where-did-vimeo-go/m-p/809703/highlight/false#M33665

I’ve not seen anyone post the obvious:

I own a “Hub” and a “Plus” and both were left with wonky firmware when they were discontinued. As the “Streaming Player” is no longer listed on the WD website as a current product I’d not be surprised to see us S.O.L. once again :frowning: .

It’s been a long time now, is the fix ready to download?

Wouldn’t it be mentioned here if it were?

We are now into March 2015. This firmware *still* causes me many headaches.

Can we have an update on where the new firmware is in the process that will replace this terrible release?

arjones85 wrote:

We are now into March 2015. This firmware *still* causes me many headaches.

Can we have an update on where the new firmware is in the process that will replace this terrible release?

Since it’s a discontinued product how does “never” sound? :frowning:

It’s been a **bleep** of a long time now, a little feedback from the devs would have been nice

my motherboards uefi bios has more updates than this and the firmware is bigger :neutral_face:

In case yous guys thought I was joking, this is my third WD TV product and all stopped getting updates when they were discontinued. C’est la vie :frowning: .