Firmware 04.04.03-113 Discussion

Since this update my Safepoint list is empty however Recover can find the safepoint. I don’t know if it is backing up as I can’t get to the manual backup without the safepoint name displaying.

If you are using Safepont to backup to a USB drive, check the USB Share name under the My Cloud Dashboard > Share section and rename if necessary back to the original name. Generally when Safpoint cannot find an existing Safepoint it may be due to the USB Share name has changed in some way or fashion.

Thank you for that. I’m pretty sure the share name has changed but I’ve no idea what the original name was as it allocated it itself from the USB disk. Any idea how I could find out or fix what appears to be a glaring hole in the system?

The share name is typically the name of the external USB drive. But because the My Cloud firmware had a bug in it, it would append the USB Share name with _x with the x being a number. If you performed a Safepoint backup to a USB Share that had the change name (ex. usbdrive_1) then you’d have to rename the Share to that changed name to see the Safepoint and have the program use it again to backup.

So you could experiment changing the Share name until Safepoint finds the saved Safepoint.

The current name is USB_SATA_Bridge. I vaguely recall the original name being 4 digits so trying to find the name by trial and error is not really realistic.

This is clearly a significant bug in the system particularly because the original share name was not deleted, It was changed by the system on a reboot after the devices were relocated. It is absurd that the backup visibly exists and yet there is no way to interrogate to match the backup set to Smartware. Even worse had I not noticed this I would have assumed backups are taking place. What can be worse than a backup system that does not make its auto backups and does not advise you that it cannot?

Hi,

Have you tried to restart the unit to see if this helps? We have passed along to support

Yes I have rebooted the unit - see my last reply.

Firmware was updated on my unit, this evening. No issues and all is well.

i am having safepoint auto update issues …

similar issue found here:

i find it frustrating that way back 3 years ago in this thread (Safepoint Auto Update Not Working) WD Staff was active in this community and proactive in fixing people’s problems.

but now seem to be non-existent. contacting wd support has also been an experience where i am sort of asking them what they need from me rather them doing that. and am not getting anywhere with them aside from the recommendations most have made already which I have already done and have not solved the problem.

not impressed.

edit:
i did get some support from WD level 2 support. They identified the problem related to changes to the files in the backup. from my side, i am not physically changing the backup files/folders - i am just viewing them from OS 10/Win 10 (Finder, File Explorer). perhaps something else is going on there, maybe metadata is being changed or a hidden file is added by OS 10 or Win 10 ?

Anyone else has occassionally viewed the contents of their safepoint backup and later not able to run auto-update ?

manual update still works.

WD recommends I recreate the safepoint - maybe i would do that at some point in the future when I do not need to access the drives for anything.

The upgrade installed ok but I no longer have remote access. Settings on my router have not changed. Rebooted the device and router with no luck. Configured the WD device remote access settings to Manual using ports 80 and 443. The firewall is set to port forward on both. Interesting that the firewall logs show the WD device trying to connect with udp 1900 (UPnP) with manual configuration. Firewall is running dd-wrt. Has anyone else run into any remote access problems with the new firmware?

Is the My Cloud configured for a static IP address either through the router’s DHCP server or via the My Cloud Dashboard?

Sometimes simply turning off the Remote Access option on the Dashboard > Settings page waiting a few minutes, then turning it back on may solve the issue. Or in some cases performing a 4 second reset or 40 second system restore may fix certain issues that crop up after a firmware update.

i have strange issues after the last update.
the android app stopped working at all, i was unable to connect any mobile device “can’t create user” or something like that.

when i press on “get code” it’s say “updating” and nothing happens so i cant connect any mobile device

“Failed to create device user. (400073)”

Hi Bennor

Thanks for the quick response. The My Cloud is configured with a static IP from the My Cloud dashboard. There is not a conflict with the routers DHCP address space either.

I tried the following suggestions:

turning remote access on/off - no success.
Performed a 4 sec reset - no success.
Performed a 40 system restore - no success.

The issue now is that after a add my user account back in after the restore I cannot add an email address or setup remote access. I get the following errors.

Adding an email address to a user - "This email account cannot be deleted. Make sure your device is registered and your network connection is functioning properly. (250010)

Signup for Cloud Access - "Your last operation timed out. Make sure there are no network connectivity issues. (200001).

I’ve SSH’d into the device I can ping the router and outside websites with no problem.

I have a full backup on a mybooklive device, and I would like to avoid a full system restore. Any ideas?

It is better, if possible, to set the static IP for the My Cloud in the router’s DHCP server administration section rather than within the My Cloud Dashboard.

You may want to contact WD Support directly and see if they have any suggestions.

https://support.wdc.com/contact.aspx

i’m getting a smart test bad request when i try to do a Quick Diagnostic Test …

i’d like to know what causes that before doing anything to try and correct it.

Hi,

I’m running a MyCloud 4TB for putting my nightly ESXI backups on. That firmware version 04.04.03-113 makes me headaches, as nearly every night the SMB access becomes unavailable.

This results in failures of my backups, the network drive of the MyCloud is also not available on connected computers. I need to reboot the WD to solve this … until it crashes again in the next night.

Dashboard is working, so it seems to affect only the SMB server.

Is there any chance to go back to a previous working firmware until that’s fixed?

Hi,
I’m experiencing the known issue with Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.x) unable to access SMB shares… which may be more of an OS X problem than a WD problem. Nonetheless, anyone know if the “minor bug fixes” in the latest firmware improve this issue? Or would someone confirm the version of Samba contained in Firmware 04.04.04-113? This can be checked from the command line, if you have SSH enabled on your My Cloud run ‘smbd -V’. For example, the v04.04.02-105 firmware appears to be running 4.0.0rc5:
MyCloud:~# smbd -V
Version 4.0.0rc5
Thanks!

On v04.04.03-113 in my My Cloud here is the SMB version: Version 4.0.0rc5

Edit to add: One can see the Samba release notes for 4.0.0 here: https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.0.0.html

It should be noted that Samba version 4.0.0 was released on or around December 11, 2012.

Thanks for checking… can’t say I’m surprised. Just disappointed. :wink:

I did notice the (ahem) rather advanced age of the included Samba version as well… and that it’s a release candidate that dropped in Nov 2012, not even the stable distribution of 4.0.0 from December. From the proverbial horse’s mouth ([Announce] Samba 4.0.0rc5 Available for Download):
“This is the fifth release candidate of Samba 4.0. This is not
intended for production environments and is designed for testing
purposes only.”
I wonder if anyone at WD reads those things when deciding what software to include in their firmware…

Any word on if/when WD is going to update to a current/stable version of Samba?