Firmware 04.04.01-112: No Dashboard

I have updated to the latest firmware from the Dashboard in the last V03 firmware version. Although I can still see my shares I cannot access the Dashboard (at 192.168.0.104/UI/ ) and the WDMyCloud.com site can’t see the device either.

Is this one of those things I have to wait a few days for it to settle down or has the upgrade lost some authentication/user information somewhere along the line?

After about 3 hours the (new) Dashboard comes up. It now thinks I have no online account, but won’t let me create one as my email address is in use by “another” user. FFS…

Hello there,

After the FW, have you tried resetting the unit?

If you try to access the dashboard using the name of the unit, does it takes the same time?

Thanks for bringing your concerns to us, we have passed this forward.

After power cycling my device (wdmycloud) I also experienced the same issue. I did not reset but what I did do was have a look at the errors using google chrome dev tools. There were 3 network errors, 2 were 401, and possibly the most important was the 404:

• 404 (Not Found) GET /api/2.1/rest/eula_acceptance?_=1445555308745
  • 401 (Unauthorized) GET /api/2.1/rest/device?_=1445556310730
  • 401 (Unauthorized) GET /api/2.1/rest/privacy_options?_=1445556312515

I suspect the 401 errors were preventing the page from displaying but I was able to unhide the login screen, login and then after refreshing the page all the 401 errors went away but the 404 still remained. I guess the 404 was the reason behind wdmycloud thinking I hadn’t registered yet because it was still trying to get me to register even though I already had. So I restarted chrome (to remove any sessions) and all is good now. This is not to say it won’t happen again the next time I power cycle for example.

The Dashboard access is now resolved. I suspect it was the same problem as noted in the fourth post in this thread as it was not coming up with login dialog.

I still have problems with the online account showing no devices. There are also some strange problems with trying to create a new account where it doesn’t recognise the email address but then won’t let me create an account or user with that email as it is “already in use”.

I have a question related only to the “can’t access admin page”, however the device is a “My Net Range Extender” which I have used with great success for two years now.
I tried to upgrade the device firmware wirelessly which has the potential for problems I have read, and realized. The device is two years old and WD no longer supports it (and is not in the Net business anymore I read) this was my fault anyway and I would like to fix it myself if at all possible.
I did a 30-30-30 reset a few dozen times to no avail. It appears to boot, power light flashes then remains solid but I can no longer access the admin page or get a wireless signal at all. When I connect the device to my laptop via an Ethernet cable I still can’t find it?
I tried to TFTP the firmware again using both command prompt and TFTP2’s GUI, but it doesn’t take the .bin file. It responds to a ping at 4ms without packet loss. WireShark shows the device communication only to the extent of “Who is 192.168.1.31(the wd range extender), tell 192.168.1.1 (my laptop)” but never shows a File being written response to the TFTP “put”? I read if it responds to a ping there may be hope, however it seems bricked?
I read there may be a “window of time” that the device will allow the .bin file to be “put” through and have tried like 20 times without luck. I can buy another refurbished device for $25. but I am curious as to why I can’t push the file and not is more principal at this point.
Any suggestions on how to get the firmware properly installed by any other means? I read about “shorting pins” and “JTAG” and would like to try them both at some future point just to see how it works, but for now I am looking for a way to get my WD My Met WiFi Range Extender’s firmware back where it belongs and the weak signal I amnforcednto use now makes researching this issue really s-l-o-w…
If this is the wrong place to pose the question, just disregard my message, and Thanks anyway.

Robert

[quote=“Robert_Callahan, post:6, topic:134980, full:true”]
… however the device is a “My Net Range Extender” which I have used with great success for two years now… [/quote]
This subforum is for the WD My Cloud network access storage devices. For the My Net Range Extender see the My Networking Devices subforum: https://community.wd.com/c/wd-legacy-products/my-net-networking-devices

Now that I can get to my Dashboard I have a problem with my online account. I want to change the email address I use for the account. When I try to do this from the Dashboard it tells me I can’t use the new email as it is already associated with a user account. It then kindly deletes my old email addy and says there is no email associated with that user. Luckily I can now reassociate the user with my old email. When I go to the web portal and try to reset the password for my new email so that I can logon with that it tells me there is no account associated with that email - even though I couldn’t switch emails because it said there WAS an account with that email.

The trouble is that I have moved house. The old email account was with my previous ISP - who is progressively closing that account (I can no longer send emails from it). I am trying to move to a Gmail account, which is now my main email. This problem is keeping me with the old email. I can’t go back to the old email as the ISP doesn’t supply connections in my area (rural North Wales). I don’t want to have to create another email account just for this.

On the bright side the new software gives me quicker disk access to the My Cloud on my home network. It used to be around 50-55 MB/s; I’m now getting around 65-70 MB/s - almost as fast as my internal drives (70-80MB/s). For once it is not all bad news.

[quote=“Badgie, post:8, topic:134980, full:true”]
I want to change the email address I use for the account. When I try to do this from the Dashboard it tells me I can’t use the new email as it is already associated with a user account. It then kindly deletes my old email addy and says there is no email associated with that user. Luckily I can now reassociate the user with my old email. When I go to the web portal and try to reset the password for my new email so that I can logon with that it tells me there is no account associated with that email - even though I couldn’t switch emails because it said there WAS an account with that email.[/quote]
Process is a bit goofy with the My Cloud that I use. On the Dashboard → Cloud Access page I selected the User, then in the MyCloud.com account for I selected the “Update registration email” icon. In the Update MyCloud.com Account dialog box I entered a new email address in the New Email field then selected the Save button. At which point the Dashboard indicated “Updating”. Eventually the Dashboard put up a dialog box indicating the new email address would receive a notification email. So far so good.

Now here is where it gets a bit goofy. The Dashboard created a new MyCloud.com account associated to the changed email address rather than change my existing MyCloud.com account associated to the old email address. Further if I change the email address back to the old address there is no way to delete the no longer needed second MyCloud.com account. There is no option to delete the account from within the MyCloud.com online interface. If I choose the delete icon from the Dashboard Cloud Access User entry it doesn’t delete the online MyCloud.com account. So now there is an unused MyCloud.com account not associated to any My Cloud device.

In the end changing the email address worked on my end even though the results are a bit on the goofy side. Tried it several times changing back and forth between two email addresses.

Thanks for your reply…