Films on New External Drives do not work on USBs of both of my TVs

I have had WD HDs for many years (4TB, 2TB and 1TB) and never had any problems playing AVI or MP4 and other format films via the USBs of my TV sets. Recently bought a new 3TB HD and transferred my films on that HD but my TVs say that HD is not supported. Sent that one back to Amazon and bought a new 2 TB from them and THAT ONE ALSO DOES NOT WORK!! Reformatted NTFS to FAT 32 and did not work. (on my laptops can play all of them)… The SN of my “old” 2TB that DOES work is: [[DELETED]]…

Is the 3TB GPT or MBR ? (and with that question what are your other “working” hdd formatted)

Some TV’s don’t like GPT Partitioning (and may only be compatible with MBR)

in Windows … click ‘Start’ then in the search box type

diskmgmt.msc

then click on diskmgmt.msc to open Disk Management … then Right Click on your HDD (it will be Disk 1 or Disk 2 or Disk 3 etc. then “Properties” and the “Volumes”

Thanks for this. I have now converted to MBR but now my disc is not recognised anymore. I am trying to find out but appreciate any suggestions…

I use 3rd party free software here … which will convert GPT to MBR
Without Formatting your HDD and Wiping your Data

If you used Windows “convert to MBR” … then you’ve formatted your HDD and Deleted your Data
(hope you have a backup)

I have now sorted the problem. But do not understand why WD has changed the settings of their new external drives from MBR to GPT…

So … your 2TB HDD from Amazon is working on your TV now ?

why GPT ? … probably for consistancy
(Hard drives greater than 2TB must be GPT, unless they use 4K Advanced Format which in that case can be MBR)

Remember this is technology … things change