External hard drives

Hey WD Community!

Got a WD Live HUB and kept the factory firmware 2.01.05 on. Plays my blu ray MKV’s beautifully on my external hard drives!!

BUT on the recent firmware release it states: “We have temporarily blocked USB mounting of Advanced Format (4k sector) HDD greater than 2TBs.”

Anyone know what that means? I have a WD Sharespace 4TB and I am thinking of getting a MY BOOK 3.0 3TB drive.

Does this mean I cant play my mkvs off of there? I WILL NOT be upgrading because of so many issues. 

Need your thoughts guys!!!

Your ShareSpace is a NAS, right?  Meaning it’s on the network, not USB attached?

If that’s the case, then you’ve nothing to fear… NAS devices are not related.

If the MB 3TB USB drive uses Advance Formatting, then it won’t be usable on any WD product until they fix it…

Well it has the option as you know to be on the network or usb attached. I prefer usb attached because those mkv files are rather large. Do you think it will work via the usb being attached?

Advance formatting? NOPE, I wont be doing that. So I guess I am okay on that front. What firmware are you using? I wont upgrade from the orignial just yet, unless you know something I dont…

From what I understand, you don’t have a choice to “Do it or Not” on the Advanced Formatting.   It’s how the drive is made, not what you do with it.

And YOU have a Sharespace, but I don’t, thus you know more than I do!  …  But from what I’m reading in the online manual, you can’t hook a sharespace to a COMPUTER via USB…   You can only hook other Drives to the Sharespace via USB.    According to the diagram, all the USB ports are HOST ports, not Slave ports.

1 Like

Thanks Tony. Do you know if the My Book Essential 3tb 3.0 has that advance formatting feature? I have read online literature and cannot find it! 

Your 3TB My Book Essential USB 3.0 drive is an Advance Format drive (this refers to how the drives store information internally, and not necessarily how they are formatted).  Large capacity drives greater than 2TB were disabled on the WD TV Live Hub for a good reason.  Regardless of whether you upgrade to the latest firmware or not, I do not recommend attaching a USB drive larger than 2TB to your WD TV Live Hub.

Your ShareSpace, on the other hand, is perfectly fine because it’s a network device.  While the drives inside may or may not be Advanced Format drives, it won’t be an issue when using the drive with your WD TV Live Hub because they communicate using Windows file sharing (samba, actually) instead of directly via USB.

I have a WD 3 TB drive what I have connected to each of my WD TV players at different times.

I have WDTV Live (running custom firmware, because I need USB hub support) and WDTV Live hub running stock firmware (but not the latest one, because it has check for > 2 TB drive).

What I did was to create 2 x 1.5 TB partition, and made sure that I changed the sector size to 1K (1024 bytes) when formatting each partition.

I have seen no problems with the 3 TB, using this configuration.  I believe the problem would occur with partitions larger than 2 TB, or sector size of 4096 (4K) or larger.

I know engineering is looking into this problem but I haven’t heard precisely what causes it.  I know that the data corruption that can be caused is not always instant.

So while I’m all for experimentation, please make sure you have any critical information on that drive (on either partition) backed up and safely stored on a separate disk.

I actually experienced the data corruption when the drive was originally formatted as 3 TB drive with the default 4K sector size.

I had copied 2.4 TB of data to it from 2 x 1.5 TB drives ,  it read fine from PC.  Then connected to WDTV and the drive reported all file sizes as 0 bytes, and showed 600 GB free on 930 GB drive.  Then connected to Windows 7 PC, and it showed the same thing.

After a little swearing and more reading about the problems with 4K sector size,  I wiped it, and re-partitioned at 2 x 1.5 TB (with 1K sector size), and copied each drive to its own partition, and have been running for a month without issue.  

But yes - as a safety, I have the original 1.5 TB drives too. 

I am the biggest supporter of WD out there. But on their knowledge base listed here

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5688&p_created=1282238323&p_sid=1u2UVqjk&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiwyJnBfcHJvZHM9MjA4LDM0MiZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9Mi4zNDImcF9jdj0mcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1jb21wYXRpYmxl&p_li=&p_topview=1

They list the MY BOOK ESSENTIAL 3.0 3TB AS A COMPATIBLE DEVICE!!!

WD My Book Essential 3.0 WDBACWxxxxxxx

I am confused as to why when people put there external 3tb drive that it gets wiped or corrupt! WD NEEDS TO REVISE THIS ASAP!!!

The 1TB (WDBACW0010HBK) and 2TB (WDBACW0020HBK) My Book Essential USB 3.0 drives are listed as compatible, but any drive with a greater capacity than 2TB is currently not compatible.  An up-to-date WD TV Live Hub will not mount a drive which is too large and prevent data loss in this manner.

Thanks Nathan!! I really like your products and I appreciate you clarifying this for me. Any news on when your 3TB Books will be supported. Thank you for your time!

-Ali

I definitely want you to be able to get the product you want and understand what will and will not work together.  I know the transition past the 2.19TB boundary can have bumps in the road, and we’ve all been through this with the 504MB boundary, the 2GB boundary, 137GB boundary, and so forth.

Firmware updates always come “when they’re ready”, and obviously this issue is going to need a lot of testing to make sure it addresses all the problems with > 2TB drives while still being compatible with smaller drives.  So while we won’t see an update tomorrow, I know engineering is working hard to improve the WD TV Live family to work with larger drives, and once we do see an update it’ll be worth the wait.

Home Entertainment: WD Live Hub - S/N WXF1AA0N7259 (Model# WDBABZ0010BBK-NESN)

Category: Troubleshooting OS: WinXP USB / Keyboards & WD My Book drive connections

While this product idea is a great one - implementation in this ‘prototype’ is flawed at best. I am a PC technician by trade and have been needlessly frustrated with it’s intermittent and finicky operation over the past two days since purchase. Documentation is scarce, scanty and/or incomplete.

I have tried 3 different USB keyboards, attaching them to each port (front and rear), and the hub does not recognize them. Similarly, I have attached my WD My Book to both ports with the same result. Incidentally, the rear USB port is flimsy and does not provide a secure-feeling connection despite the fact that the drive light is on suggesting a operable connection. I have read the manual and checked your web-based knowledge base without locating a solution. Note that my WD external drive (Part # WDBAAF0010-HBK-01) appears as a “supported device” (your KB #5688) and is not read-only or locked.

Despite the problems, I am hopeful that either this contact with you (and/or a product exchange in the event that mine is an isolated ‘lemon’ problem) will resolve all issues. When the product does work properly, the audio/visual aspects deliver as promised. Regrettably, performance to date in it’s present state is woefully inadequate and disappointing.

Current firmware installed is 2.03.24.

frustrated techie - 8 Jan 2011

frustek wrote:

Home Entertainment: WD Live Hub - S/N WXF1AA0N7259 (Model# WDBABZ0010BBK-NESN)

Category: Troubleshooting OS: WinXP USB / Keyboards & WD My Book drive connections

While this product idea is a great one - implementation in this ‘prototype’ is flawed at best. I am a PC technician by trade and have been needlessly frustrated with it’s intermittent and finicky operation over the past two days since purchase. Documentation is scarce, scanty and/or incomplete.

I have tried 3 different USB keyboards, attaching them to each port (front and rear), and the hub does not recognize them. Similarly, I have attached my WD My Book to both ports with the same result. Incidentally, the rear USB port is flimsy and does not provide a secure-feeling connection despite the fact that the drive light is on suggesting a operable connection. I have read the manual and checked your web-based knowledge base without locating a solution. Note that my WD external drive (Part # WDBAAF0010-HBK-01) appears as a “supported device” (your KB #5688) and is not read-only or locked.

Despite the problems, I am hopeful that either this contact with you (and/or a product exchange in the event that mine is an isolated ‘lemon’ problem) will resolve all issues. When the product does work properly, the audio/visual aspects deliver as promised. Regrettably, performance to date in it’s present state is woefully inadequate and disappointing.

Current firmware installed is 2.03.24.

frustrated techie - 8 Jan 2011

Just out of interest doesn’t the fact that you cannot get a usb keyboard or a usb drive to work suggest that there may be something wrong with your usb ports. Does a USB flash drive work. Have you tried resetting the unit by holding in the bottom button for 1 second and then releasing - the hub should be on and fully booted up - it should then reboot.

I’m a newbie to all of this.  I just got my Western Digital WDTV Live Hub for Christmas from my wife, I’m also connecting a Seagate 3.0 usb 2tb external hard drive that is just about filled to capacity (1.82tb) with bluray quality movies. 

Went to videos

select content source - local storage- usb2

went to the usb2 folder - freeagent goflex drive folder - movies

VIDEOS TAB shows that I have 1094 new items, in the list it shows 395 movies, some file names pop up in the list, but when I scroll to the right to go to the next screen, it says “There is no media in the current folder”  Same thing under the “ALL FILES”

Some times the list populates more than usual.  This is very frustrating!!! 

I have to back out of the screens then restart the unit and hope that it populates more the next time.

Is anyone else having this problem?  Is it the WD TV LIVE HUB or is it the SEAGATE 3.0 usb 2tb external hard drive?

Thank you in advance and I appreciate any help that is given to me.

richUK wrote:

“Just out of interest doesn’t the fact that you cannot get a usb keyboard or a usb drive to work suggest that there may be something wrong with your usb ports. Does a USB flash drive work. Have you tried resetting the unit by holding in the bottom button for 1 second and then releasing - the hub should be on and fully booted up - it should then reboot.”

While I’m sure you are trying to be helpful, inoperable USB ports were indirectly referred to in my post as a potential ‘lemon’ problem.  I’ve also had problems with the network port which I didn’t mention in my prior post which was sent to WD Customer Service. Clearly, given these hardware issues, there is a very good chance that I’ve simply got a physically defective unit.  Nonetheless, I’ve queried WD directly on the matter first as it is apparent from this forum that some major issues (firmware particularly) have yet to be resolved by the WD.

As stated by several other forum posters, I am not (nor do I wish to be) an unpaid BETA tester!

frustek wrote:

richUK wrote:

“Just out of interest doesn’t the fact that you cannot get a usb keyboard or a usb drive to work suggest that there may be something wrong with your usb ports. Does a USB flash drive work. Have you tried resetting the unit by holding in the bottom button for 1 second and then releasing - the hub should be on and fully booted up - it should then reboot.”

While I’m sure you are trying to be helpful, inoperable USB ports were indirectly referred to in my post as a potential ‘lemon’ problem.  I’ve also had problems with the network port which I didn’t mention in my prior post which was sent to WD Customer Service. Clearly, given these hardware issues, there is a very good chance that I’ve simply got a physically defective unit.  Nonetheless, I’ve queried WD directly on the matter first as it is apparent from this forum that some major issues (firmware particularly) have yet to be resolved by the WD.

As stated by several other forum posters, I am not (nor do I wish to be) an unpaid BETA tester!

I was trying to be helpful and I don’t instantly recognise anything with a fault as a lemon. My hub is not faulty and it works with perfectly with a wireless keyboard. So yes it does look like you have a defective unit. I can’t see how trying to make your unit work makes you a BETA tester, surely its in your own interest. How many other people of this forum have reported faulty USB ports? Did you try a flash drive in both USB ports or do you consider that unpaid beta testing?

richUK wrote:

frustek wrote:

richUK wrote:

I was trying to be helpful and I don’t instantly recognise anything with a fault as a lemon. My hub is not faulty and it works with perfectly with a wireless keyboard. So yes it does look like you have a defective unit. I can’t see how trying to make your unit work makes you a BETA tester, surely its in your own interest. How many other people of this forum have reported faulty USB ports? Did you try a flash drive in both USB ports or do you consider that unpaid beta testing?

…thanks but no thanks - you are now defensive, patronizing and argumentative  - constructive comments/criticism only are appreciated! 

A careful and thorough read of my original post reveals that I have read whatever documentation WD has made available (and tried obvious remedies, such as resetting the unit) a/w/a your suggestions - including your inspired flash drive thought. While flash drives and a non-WD ext.HDD work perfectly fine, my WD My Book does not and that is the issue of prime concern to me.

I am not using a wireless kb and the hub should recognize wired USB kbs and, in general, perform as advertised without the hassle of having to contact WD and/or deal with condescending and less-than-helpful forum ‘advice’.

As I am not a BETA-tester, far too much of my time has been wasted trying to setup this unit to perform (out-of-the-box) as advertised - period, end of story!!

Frustek, we are all here to help you. RichUK has posted over 2,000 posts and I am sure he has your best interest in mind. He was not being defensive, patronizing, or argumentative. You have a problem and we are here to help you. Rich didnt cause this problem so please keep that in mind.