External hard drives

frustek wrote:

richUK wrote:

frustek wrote:

richUK wrote:

“Just out of interest doesn’t the fact that you cannot get a usb keyboard or a usb drive to work suggest that there may be something wrong with your usb ports. Does a USB flash drive work. Have you tried resetting the unit by holding in the bottom button for 1 second and then releasing - the hub should be on and fully booted up - it should then reboot.”

While I’m sure you are trying to be helpful, inoperable USB ports were indirectly referred to in my post as a potential ‘lemon’ problem.  I’ve also had problems with the network port which I didn’t mention in my prior post which was sent to WD Customer Service. Clearly, given these hardware issues, there is a very good chance that I’ve simply got a physically defective unit.  Nonetheless, I’ve queried WD directly on the matter first as it is apparent from this forum that some major issues (firmware particularly) have yet to be resolved by the WD.

As stated by several other forum posters, I am not (nor do I wish to be) an unpaid BETA tester!

I was trying to be helpful and I don’t instantly recognise anything with a fault as a lemon. My hub is not faulty and it works with perfectly with a wireless keyboard. So yes it does look like you have a defective unit. I can’t see how trying to make your unit work makes you a BETA tester, surely its in your own interest. How many other people of this forum have reported faulty USB ports? Did you try a flash drive in both USB ports or do you consider that unpaid beta testing?

…thanks but no thanks - you are now defensive, patronizing and argumentative  - constructive comments/criticism only are appreciated! 

A careful and thorough read of my original post reveals that I have read whatever documentation WD has made available (and tried obvious remedies, such as resetting the unit) a/w/a your suggestions - including your inspired flash drive thought. While flash drives and a non-WD ext.HDD work perfectly fine, my WD My Book does not and that is the issue of prime concern to me.

I am not using a wireless kb and the hub should recognize wired USB kbs and, in general, perform as advertised without the hassle of having to contact WD and/or deal with condescending and less-than-helpful forum ‘advice’.

As I am not a BETA-tester, far too much of my time has been wasted trying to setup this unit to perform (out-of-the-box) as advertised - period, end of story!!

Have you considered that you are a hard person to deal with, I thought my suggestions were constructive, never mind. However you are now saying that the flash drive does work so therefore I would assume that your USB posts are not faulty. You are correct that your other drives should work and maybe even your USB keyboards but as you are getting decidedly prickly and considering the fact that you are a techie I will leave it to you. Bye

I’ve blocked this thread to prevent any further remarks.  Just as a reminder, it’s not acceptable to hijack other user’s threads to start talking about your own problems.  If you have an issue with your device or a comment you want to make about your device, please start your own topic.