DVD Video TS Folders

littlemalcolm wrote:

Thanks for your advice Tony - I’ll give it a few weeks to see if WD do anything about this issue. I tried your suggestions with the homeplugs but it made no difference. 

One more thing - do I have to contact anyone else regarding this bug then or is it now automatically logged through this forum?

It depends on the STATUS of the issue.   If WD is working it, the status will change.

I did a lot of digging tonight and know what the problem is.

In the VOB Files, the WD is repeatedly opening and closing the file.  This creates a lot of unnecessary network overhead…  as far as I can tell, it does this about  40 times PER SECOND!   :dizzy_face:

Definitely a file-system bug.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I did a lot of digging tonight and know what the problem is.

In the VOB Files, the WD is repeatedly opening and closing the file.  This creates a lot of unnecessary network overhead…  as far as I can tell, it does this about  40 times PER SECOND!   :dizzy_face:

Definitely a file-system bug.

Wow.  I was going to break out the network analyzer and take a look, but you’ve done the leg work.  No reason at all to perform file access like that.

Yeah, check it out.  All of those Opens / Closes are in just 150 milliseconds!  

And each time the file is closed, then reopened, it has to re-index to the place it left off.  That has to add a ton of CPU overhead.

Wonder if the WDTV does that with the locally attached drives too.  Local access would be fast enough that you wouldn’t notice it.

Looks like I’ve been wasting my time here - no fix with the new firmware. Seriously disappointed and will probably return my unit to argos. What’s the point of this site if major bugs get pointed out but not addressed?

littlemalcolm wrote:

Looks like I’ve been wasting my time here - no fix with the new firmware. Seriously disappointed and will probably return my unit to argos. What’s the point of this site if major bugs get pointed out but not addressed?

Probably because the firmware update was well on it’s way to being finished and tested at the time this bug was reported. Too late to debug, repair and include it.

It’s actually worse now…  While I was able to play the files on 1.03.10, they’re now unwatchable and makes the UI unresponsive.    I had to reboot the box to regain control.   

Rider:  I think you’re exactly right…  

Hey! I need to convert some DVD folders to ISO but I only have my MacBook and a Synology NAS that hosts the DVD folders. Do you know of a Mac program that would convert or of a command line tool that I could install on the Linux-based Syno box?

That’d be terrific!

Thanks!

Btw, do you think it is time- and CPU- consuming to do the conversion?

Try AquaIso.  I believe it is free app.  works great for this purpose

Ah, I’m so happy I came to check this forum! My two problems with my new WDTV Live (1080p mkv stuttering and this “wireless VIDEO_TS” issue) are reported here. So it’s not just my problem :slight_smile: Converting to ISO worked for me as a quick workaround, thanks for the tip! I’m glad someone has already found that this stuttering is due to the heavy network traffic. So now that this community has told WD some hints about this bug, I’m confident these can and will be fixed in the forthcoming firmware updates :slight_smile:

TonyPh12345 thank you very much!!

I had the exact same issue with TS files, I browsed everywhere and could not find an answer. I took your advise and ripped a DVD to ISO, now it work fine.

I was ready to return the WD TV streamer, and now I’m a happy camper. THANKS!

All the rest, all file formats work goos using WiFi, it looks like TS is the only one where WD need to do some homework. 

Dumb thing is:  the .ISO file structure is just the TS_VIDEO file structure encapsulated.  Use a program like Virtual Clone Drive on a Win PC, mount the .ISO file and look at it.  The underlying files are still TS_VIDEO folders and sub-folders.

But the WDTVsmp does treat the .ISO file differently.  A few home-made videos I have that were TS-VIDEO format will not play on the WDTVsmp, but if I convert them to .ISO format, they play fine.  Go figure.

I recently bought the WD TV Live and I also have this problem with the latest firmware. ISO play fine (well at least most of the time ;-)), VIDEO_TS is stuttering after a few seconds. My “old” AC Ryan doesn’t have these problems, so my network is fine. Anyone else still having these problems?

Yes,  I am.

Since I got this WD TV Live I have to deal with stuttering VIDEO_TS. When I convert these VIDEO_TS into an ISO there is no problem at all. I have reported this issue a few weeks ago to the Support desk of WD. They have sent it to their backoffice. I have sent MediaInfo to them and I am still awaiting their answer.

I am ‘glad’ there are more people who suffer with this issue…:cry:

Same problem here :frowning:

SAME PROBLEM !!!:angry:

I have been having the same issue trying to play VIDEO_TS folders and some high bitrate files. I stumbled upon another thread discussing the differences between Samba and NFS on the WDTVForum and they had dones some analysis showing how slow Samba was compared to NFS. I decided to setup an NFS share on my NAS (same place the Samba share was). The NFS connection fixed the issue I was having but has introduced another issue. I no longer can see the metadata associated with my files.

1 Like

Hi all,

I have just purchased the WDTV Live Hub 1TB about a month ago.  I added a WD 3TB External HD and have loaded over 330 DVD’s(personally bought collection) to it.  All files are in _TS folders and all the ones I have tried (about 100 or so) have played flawlessly.  However, the way I backed them up using DVD Shrink was full disc.  This gives me the full DVD menu functionality and chapter selection.

I am not using a NAS as I bought one at first but noticed a slight delay in lip sync.  I have a hard wired gigabit connection but my PC is not gigabit so I think that is what caused the delay.  All files from the 3TB drive connected via USB to the hub play great.

The only problem I am having is getting meta data to show for my full disc TV shows.  It does not seem to work at all on full disc _TS folers.

JJ

I think the issue is actually the CIFS implementation within the SMP. When I connect the SMP to my NAS via the NFS protocol (Linux Share) I do not experience any problems with audio lag or choppiness. I also seem to find that single files (uncompressed mkv or full iso rip) work fine. I have quite a few VIDEO_TS rips and do plan to migrate everything to mkv files eventually to remove the extra pieces that we don’t watch, but still feel that there is a big issue here that will probably only get bigger when attemping to use Blue Ray rips.