Duplicate files created after latest my cloud January firmware release

latest reply received today, WE ARE DEFINATELY GOING AROUND IN CIRCLES

Dear XXXXX XXXXX,

In order to better investigate your case I need to ask you

Please to provide me system log files.

We need logs to see what exactly happens with the unit and why it duplicates the files.

Also advise I suggest you to update the FW there was several updates released.

The file which you have emailed to us cannot be opened in any computer.

So it looks that he did something wrong.

WD strives to exceed customer’s expectations. If you feel that your expectations have not been met and would like to escalate your case to the next level of support, please click here or copy and paste the link below in your browser.

WoW, was this an email from WD on the original issue of you posted back in February? :open_mouth:

yep, not much happening it seems, and after escalating several times it is back with the original guy who contacted me in February. Don’t hold your breath for a quick fix …

Why are they asking for log files when WD is already aware they have firmware issues concerning USB drives in general and Safepoint issues on top of that. Why don’t they just fix it, it’s their product, their software, their problem, their responsibility to the customer.

From February to April and back to square one. Unbelievable! All the best Rickys, maybe something good can come from all this.

yep, you would think that they would want to recreate the problem by simulation rather than see my system log.

But I got a big surprise email today from another WD tech guy who tried to phone me as well, but has given me access to the WD FTP facility (File Transfer Protocal I think), that I was always told did not exist. Now I can send the sytem log … I think

That didn’t go to plan either.

1. I had to generate a duplicate file to recreate the problem in the system log … never does it when you want it, but got there in the end
  2. Generated a new system log file … a massive 249mb!!! (Why the hell do they collect so much data)
  3. Tried to send the file by email anyway, but of course it is too big
  4. Opened up the FTP transfer facility for WD, signed in ok, but there is no facility to put files into the FTP, just take out
  5. Missed a call from WD yesterday morning, and they haven’t rung back or responded to my email

One step forward, two steps back … but at least we know now that they were lying before about the lack of FTP transfer, in case it should be needed again. Anyway, I sent the system log and the guy has looked at it, and sent me the following reply … I am astounded!

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

Thank you for your reply. I can confirm that I have received the logs you provided and that this set of logs is openable as well.

The first step to resolve this issue is to perform a System Only Factory Restore on the device. As this issue first occurred after a firmware update something might have gone wrong during the update process and performing the restore should fix this.

A System Only Factory Restore will change all settings back to the factory defaults, makes all private shares public, and removes any administrator password that the device might have but will do nothing to the data on the drive. I realise that this might not be the solution you are looking for but we would need to try this step first before continuing with further troubleshooting steps.

To do that please log in to the dashboard and go to Settings and Utilities. In there you will see the option for a System Restore. There are three options – System Only, Quick and Full Restore. Please choose the System Only restore as the Quick and Full restores both will delete the data on the drive.

After you have performed the Restore please see if the duplicates keep appearing or if this resolves the issue and let me know. If you have any other questions feel free to let me know as well.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Western Digital Service and Support

Sending my reply back today

Dear xxxxxxxxxx

thank you for the speedy opening and analysis of my system logs, and the proposed solution which had never crossed my mind.

Why will WD not acknowledge that the January Firmware Update caused this problem, not just for me, but for potentially all other My Cloud used with a similar USB drive configuration? PLEASE LOOK AT THE WD COMMUNITY FORUMS TO CONFIRM THIS.

I am looking for WD to provide a firmware fix for this, or a notification to ALL My Cloud customers about what went wrong and how to fix it for once and for all.

I will not be the WD guinea pig, and will not be following your suggestion, until someone else has tried it and confirmed that it cures the problem and doesn’t screw up anything else in doing so.

Thank you for your help so far, as you have achieved more in 2 days than your colleagues have in more than 2 months. I look forward to hearing back from you when you have a concrete solution, well checked and tested. Regards

To be honest Rickys, I think the response from WD concerning your logs was bogus. The “System Only Restore”/ “System Reset” is a candid answer to all issues.

It is inconceivable for me to think that they are not aware of this issue, or any other, that are posted on this forum or doing a “Google” search. How competent are they? If WD would do the work that is required when marketing a product like this, or any other, they would be a lot better than this after a 2013 launch of the My Cloud.

Equivalent to “Have you tried turning it off and on again?”

I fear that Support are totally isolated from Engineering, and that no-one monitors the forums for systematic problems.

They’re probably too busy trying to maintain the multitude of code bases, documentation, support trees, etc. to cope with their crazy product development ‘strategy’…

LATEST RESPONSE - ANYONE WANT TO TRY IT AND REPORT BACK?

Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for your reply and the additional information.

I am sorry but I am unable to comment on the content on the community forums.

WD is constantly making changes to the devices firmware as needed which is why we require the system logs to find the root cause of the issue you are having.

I am sorry to hear that you do not want to perform the System Only restore as that should fix the issue you are having. If it doesn’t then your case would have to be escalated.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to let me know.

Sincerely,

NOTE THAT IT IS STILL REFERED TO AS “MY CASE”, REPRESENTING A TOTAL DENIAL OF A GLOBAL ISSUE

System Only Restore may well correct the problem.

BUT the problem should not occur in the first place. That’s what WD need to fix. It would be nice if they acknowledged known problems that they are investigating, with ETA for fixes. Some companies put their bug tracking systems online (or at least, provide summaries from these systems).