Duplicate files created after latest my cloud January firmware release

Generally when using the Dashboard, one can rename or delete Shares through the Shares page. Note the screen capture (from Chrome on a Win 7 PC) below is from a My Cloud running v04.04.02-105 firmware.

Yes the solution will have to come from WD in the form of a firmware update and yes this problem started with the v04.04.02-105 firmware released on January 27, 2016. All we can hope for, as always, is they fix this issue and not introduce others in the process. Unfortunately my experience with working with WD Support and sending them logs wasn’t a good one when trying to fix a USB issue I was having with one particular external USB hard drive. Never heard back from them with ideas or solutions, they only asked for logs. I fixed my problem by repartitioning and reformatting that particular external USB hard drive (a Toshiba).

Brilliant Bennor, thanks so much. At least now I have a workaround and don’t have to plough through a list every time to find my files.

I actually posted this problem to a different thread because I didn’t spot the title as my issue. I guess we’ll have to wait for WD. Understanding that I could just remove the unworking shares was a reasonable workaround.

Thanks to all
Staci

Latest update today from WD, just a standard letter I guess

Dear Mr./Mrs.XXXXXXX,

We apologize about the delay and I remind you that your case will be processed as soon as possible.

If you think that the device could be damaged, I suggest you to create a RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) following the instructions within the link below:

WD strives to exceed customer’s expectations. If you feel that your expectations have not been met and would like to escalate your case to the next level of support, please click here or copy and paste the link below in your browser.

[[Case-specific Link deleted]]

Sincerely,
Western Digital Service and Support

NOTE TO WD : CUSTOMER EXPECTATION NOT YET EXCEEDED

Latest communication received today, I think this is the third one like this, but each time with a different persons name. My response at the bottom.

Dear XXXXXX,

Our technical resolution team is unable to open the system logs, they seem to be corrupted - can you please recreate and send us the logs?

Also, we would kindly like to ask you to take screenshots of the error and send us these so we can analyse your case in detail.

Sincerely,
NAME REMOVED TO PROTECT THE GUILTY (WD SUPPORT)

WD strives to exceed customer’s expectations. If you feel that your expectations have not been met and would like to escalate your case to the next level of support, please click here or copy and paste the link below in your browser.

My reply :

you gotta be kidding me, I sent everything weeks ago and it is all detailed on the WD community Forum.

THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM THAT JUST I HAVE, IT IS A PROBLEM THAT YOUR FIRMWARE UPDATE IN JANUARY CREATED FOR ALL WD MY CLOUD USERS

Also mentioned here

I mentioned this back in early February and while I’m unhappy more users have discovered this, I’m also happy that it confirms there is nothing wrong with my setup.

A little surprised that WD have not acknowledged this problem yet - for me it’s a pain in the backside

WD don’t acknowledge problems.

Latest emails :

From WD : Our technical resolution team is unable to open the system logs, they seem to be corrupted - can you please recreate and send us the logs?

Also, we would kindly like to ask you to take screenshots of the error and send us these so we can analyse your case in detail.

My Reply : But do you not have equipment there to replicate the problem? Google
mail policy will not allow me to send the log files, and yahoo mail
will not allow me to send such large files. If you can provide another
way to send the file, ftp transfer perhaps, maybe I can help.

From WD today : Thank you for your email and apologies for the long delay. I’m sorry but we can not replicate the issue because we need the logs of your device.

I also regret that we only accept attachments via email.

If you are able to send the log our technicians can analyze your device better.

Hard to believe I know. Can anyone else having the same problems send their system log file to WD, otherwise this will never get resolved. Thanks in anticipation

You could post the log files to your My Cloud in a public folder, then enable Remote Access on that My Cloud. Then, using either one of the WD programs/apps or the MyCloud.com web portal, email the link to the log file to WD for them to download. That way you don’t have to actually email an attached file that gets blocked due to email attachment size restrictions.

Have you sent them a screenshot(s) of the error?

Odd; they told me I could use FTP, when I pointed out that it was pretty stupid for their diagnostic report generator to create reports so big that their email system wouldn’t accept them…

The reports are zip files, and you can open them up and delete the huge .wdmc thumbnails.

[edit]

Here’s the advice I was given on how to reduce the size of the log file:

If the zip file with logs is bigger than 5MB, it will not get through to our system, so please unzip it, delete everything in systemLog_PRODUCT SERIAL NUMBER_xxxxxxxxxx\current_config\shares\ and zip it again.

thanks Bennor, but I brought the drives for remote wireless file storage and retrieval, and I am not savvy enough, nor willing enough, to bow down to WD tech support who tell me that they cannot replicate the fault, nor accept files other than by email. They couldn’t even get the firmware upgrade coding right, nor pick up the fault in their extensive testing programme.

Somehow I get the impression that they cannot be assed to take this seriously as a problem they created and own, and that affects all users with systems configured as mine is.

I now have no confidence whatsoever that WD will fix the problem.

Thankfully the workaround you kindly provided may last for years, and even so will create less work than to continue my liason with WD. As the workaround has now cleared all the duplicate files, I doubt whether a new system log will be of any use, and I certainly cannot produce a screenshot that shows the problem that I don’t have until the next time that the drives are disconnected.

It’s not as if there aren’t screenshots of the problem in this thread.

WD support seem very script-driven, and unable to do anything other than ‘go by the book’.

true, I have pointed that out to them, and today I escalated the case (whatever that really means I have no idea)

It very well may be a case of the right hand (WD firmware developers) not knowing what the left hand (WD customer support) is doing or saying. And worse even the customer support people not knowing what their fellow customer support people are saying/doing. I’ve spoke several times to customer support and while nice people they are not always on the same page when they’ve contacted me. In one case asking about an issue I had with the My Cloud Desktop program crashing Windows Explorer four plus months after making the complaint here on this subforum while I was trying to get them to deal with my USB hard drive not being recognized.

Don’t know where the problem lies, possibly due to the inhouse system WD support persons use to log the details of the trouble ticket.

But in any case unless people contact WD and start trouble tickets, and unless people are sending WD their system logs there isn’t much WD Support can do even if they do troll these forums. How many posts do we see where people provide the barest of information even after repeated questioning by others. How is WD Support supposed to find out what specific is wrong with the firmware when someone just says “it doesn’t work” and either cannot or will not provide any additional detailed information?

Note I’m not trying to excuse WD here at all. We all know there are problems with the firmware. Each firmware upgrade feels like two steps forward. One, two or five steps back. One would have thought with so many having and reporting in this subforum problems with USB and Safepoint that WD would have issued a fix or a workaround ASAP. Yet they didn’t. It fell to their customers to find a workaround. There is a decided and very noticeable LACK of communication from WD on this and many other issues, including the Windows 10 and Mac El Capitan issues that has vexed many for months. One wonders how many customers and potential customers they’ve lost because of this lack of quickly fixing major issues and lack of even basic communication on these issues.

Edit: Sorry for the rambling post, just felt it had to be said somewhere. :slight_smile:

Agreed. But they don’t make it easy to send logs, do they…?

And I refused, as I don’t export data I don’t understand. I was pretty shocked to see user content in the log.

Having just trawled through my email exchanges, they’d be funny if they weren’t so hopeless…

really, it has user content in the logs? That has got to be illegal in some counties. No wonder the logs are so huge

Probably not illegal since the logs are typically located on the My Cloud and typically/generally not being shared, unless the user explicitly grants access to those logs.

And yes some data like date, time, file name, USB hard drive name, etc. are captured in the logs. I haven’t seen (but then I haven’t looked closely at the logs recently to see) if its capturing data from within files. The cataloging of the images and if those images are saved into a database where there could be serious potential for user content being captured without user knowledge.

New hope?

Email received today

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

Thank you for your email. I’m sorry for not having been able to solve the issue for you yet, I have escalated the case for advanced resolution and hope to get an answer next week.

Sincerely,
XXXXXXXX

I hope WD comes through for you Rickys … I mean that sincerely. :slight_smile: I know for a fact, I will never buy another WD product again. I have 2 My Clouds that I am afraid to do anything with (Upgrade firmware) and I have received a WD 250GB HDD, for an old computer, and now it is reporting excessive bad blocks. This drive is only a few months old and was new when I got the drive. :disappointed:

thanks SectorGZ, I have really given up hope, but as I have a simple workaround to delete the duplicated files, I am now much less concerned. But, purely by coincidence one of my devices a 4TB My Cloud, seems to have packed up completely. It just froze a couple of hours ago, so eventually I disconnected, waited, and reconnected, and now I can’t get beyond the solid white light. I will leave it to sort itself out overnight if necessary, but am beginning to wonder if it will ever return to life!