Drive Becomes Un-Accessible After short use

On gigabit network, I could transfer 3 large .iso images (about 10 gigabyte all together) from a win2003 file server (RAID 5 disks) to the NAS with an average of 12000 kbyte/s write transfer speed and 21000 kbyte/s read speed, while the NAS is used by other users as well. I used TotalCommander and cifs file sharing.

I also tested with my notebook on gigabit network, but the write and read speeds are half of the above values. This is because of the low I/O speed of the notebook disk and the chipset. (IBM T42)

Same problem here :neutral_face:

Been struggling with it for weeks,

Today i threw the mybook ■■■■ thing in the trash

Bought a QNAP, way much better…

Im sure, i will never buy a Western Digital product again!

Hi, can you give a hint for a dummy how to disable mionet at startup to solve the Un-Accesible problem?

Thanks in advance.

Im having the same problems with my MB World Edition 1TB. Does hacking and disabling MIONET solve the problem as suggested in a previous post??

So far it is still working! :slight_smile:

Small guide on howto disable these services (only for latest MyBook World Edition II White version):

In the web configuration switch to Advanced Mode, then on the System tab using the Advanced button check the SSH Access checkbox on the top of the page, then Submit.

Using Putty or any other SSH client connect to your NAS’s IP address, and log in using “root” as username, and “welc0me” as password!

Now you are inside your NAS.

Type the following on the prompt (this will move/save the startup scripts to the /root/ folder and disable running of mionet main program):

mv  /etc/init.d/S9M_mionet  /root/

mv  /etc/init.d/S97twonkyserver  /root/

chmod -x /usr/mionet/bin/cvm

then reboot your NAS with

reboot

Disable all other unused services in the web configuration to free up some more RAM and make your NAS more stable.

1 Like

Hi Dzentai,

worked. Thank you.

Now I will see how long it stays reachable!

Thanks too dzentai, i’ll post back in a few days and update if it works!

Dear WD,

Stop hating. I bought this MyBook world edition because i needed to backup things easier. I don’t want to **bleep**ing type **bleep** and hack **bleep**. I spent good money on this and want it to work.

Give me my money back and I’ll send you this piece of worthless pastic back.

Unfortunately, I’m joining this thread as a user who’s had the issue where the MBW dies with the exception of ping.  However, it has only happened to me on one occasion which was when I was performing the initial backup of my PC.

Ping worked, however, SSH, HTTP, SMB all failed so the drive was completely inaccessible.  I didn’t try accessing the drive through my XBOX while it was in this state.

It’s as if there was some type of memory leak that killed the services.  Here is a log entry I captured during this issue:

01/31 08:53:20 NAS daemon.warn lld2d[4079]: packetio_recv_handler: no session active for 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx; ignoring...
 01/31 08:53:19 NAS daemon.warn lld2d[4079]: packetio_recv_handler: no session active for 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx; ignoring...

This is interesting…I disabled Mionet startup in the GUI, but the services were still running upon reboot.  So as someone else suggested, I chmod’ed /usr/mionet/bin/cvm to prevent execution.  We’ll see what happens!

The other recommendation is to shut off services you don’t need since the My Book is a stripped down Linux server running on limited resources.  Unfortunately for me, I need Twonky for DLNA, the SSH, HTTPS, SMB, NFS, FTP…so mine is running a near full load of services.

WD, I can’t be rebooting this NAS every time it gets a substantial load!!

Unfortunately for me, it happened again with Mionet disabled.  I’ll try a few more things in addition to opening a case with WD.  Otherwise, this thing is going back…  Too bad this thing doesn’t have a console port.  It would make it easier to diagnose.

It looks as though it could be Twonky that’s killing the rest of the services.  DLNA is a primary reason for me purchasing this NAS so hopefully, it can be fixed.

See this support page:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=bFrL5DTj&p_faqid=3659&p_created=1248822198

This type of problem can be caused if two devices on the network have the same IP or MAC address. When this happens again, try pinging the drive. If you can ping it, continue to ping it, then unplug the network cable from the My Book World Edition. If the pings start failing, then you’re pinging your drive. However, if they continue to succeed, then something else on the network is taking the same IP address as your drive.

So… I’m no PC wizard and dont know what you guys are on about. I brought this Hard Drive so I can backup stuff. I was told “plug and play”

WD. Are you guys going to do anything? I will smash this to a million pieces and tell my friends how ■■■■ this product is. I will also mail the smashed product to your CEO with an invoice attached.

This is the final update for me.  The underlying operating system on the World Book is Linux.  In order for all services to fail with the exception of ping means a pretty catastrophic failure.  I opened a case, but I don’t want to deal with the issue.  Therefore, the WDWB is being returned.

I already have a replacement product in place from a company who primarily deals with RAID / NAS backup solutions.  The model I purchased was diskless and I’m using a WD Green drive since I think WD still makes excellent drives.

Good luck for those still running into this issue.

I would love to get one of  these but with so many reported problems…Will they ever correct these problems?

I am having the same issue: My Book World Edition was working but now wont allow any user to connect, including admin.  I can log into the drive via Bonjour and all settings dont point to anything wrong with the drive.  However, when I try to log in with my user name  “ronoman1” - I get a “Connection Fail” error message and the System log has the following error message:

02/09 22:34:00  Backup-Drive daemon.info afpd[5341]: server_child[1] 6639 done
 02/09 22:34:00  Backup-Drive daemon.info afpd[6639]: 0.55KB read, 0.47KB written
 02/09 22:34:00  Backup-Drive daemon.info afpd[6639]: logout ronoman1
 02/09 22:33:59  Backup-Drive daemon.info afpd[6639]: Setting uid/gid to 0/1000
 02/09 22:33:59  Backup-Drive daemon.warn afpd[6639]: Warning: No CNID scheme for volume /DataVolume/Download. Using default.
 02/09 22:33:59  Backup-Drive daemon.warn afpd[6639]: Warning: No CNID scheme for volume /DataVolume/Public. Using default.
 02/09 22:33:59  Backup-Drive daemon.info afpd[6639]: CNID DB initialized using Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December 3, 2003)
 02/09 22:33:59  Backup-Drive daemon.warn afpd[6639]: Warning: No CNID scheme for volume /DataVolume/ronoman1. Using default.
 02/09 22:33:59  Backup-Drive daemon.info afpd[6639]: login ronoman1 (uid 505, gid 1000) AFP3.2
 02/09 22:33:59  Backup-Drive daemon.info afpd[6639]: dhx login: ronoman1
 02/09 22:33:59  Backup-Drive daemon.info afpd[6639]: ASIP session:548(6) from 192.168.0.3:64456(8)

Does anyone know why this would be and how to resolve it?

I have about 30gig of stuff on it and dont want to reset to factory if  I can avoid it.

Thanks.

There is hope!  I opened a case and WD is asking I send my unit in so their engineering can test it.  Pretty good response if you ask me!

Now whether or not they can replicate and identify the issue is another story.  At least they’re trying!!

I have disabled mionet and twonky as per dzentai instructions in post 45 and my NAS has stayed accessible for over 24 hours!

It normally goes inaccessible within a fewhours.

Out of curiousity I re-enabled twonky - it fell over within 2 hours.  I re-enabled mionet after disabling twonky again.  The NAs fell over within 2 hours.

So it seems that either services will cause the NAS to fall over.

I am now leaving it for a long term test.

I have been talking to WD support about this and have to say that so far they have been helpful and responsive, however they don’t yet know about my latest conclusions, so have yet to say anything about how to fix the problems.

So u resolve something if u disabled mione and twonky. I disable mionet and after 3 days crashed again. But this was a record of up time for it, usually after 20 hours crash. I don’t know what to do i sent the item back to service for 3 times and they said every time worked just fine. If continues to crash in this manner i will throw it to garbage. Every time when crash it’s responding to ping but never to other service(web, ftp, maped drivers, etc)