Drive Becomes Un-Accessible After short use

This is just a thought, but I’d try pulling the nas device off the hub/switch and put it directly on the router.  I’ve seen communication issues with my nas drive when it’s on a hub.  Just a thought.  The fact that you can ping it, but not get the gui may be an indication of that.

Hi guys, I do have the same issue. I have got the last firmware, and I am afraid I have the issue since the last update. Is there a chance to get the older firmwares somewhere? I didnt find them. Then I would try it. I cant use my world book anymore, because sometimes ist only working for some minutes till it disapears… fu… I just replaced it a month ago because of a defect drive which made big noises! After one year of operation. Support does not react on my emails … poor support.

I have the same problem with my “My Book World Edition II(white light)”.

Does anyone have an older firmware?

I would like to test, if older is working correctly.
(I’ve just bought the device and instantly upgraded to the latest version: 01.01.16 with MioNet 2.4.0.62)

I have the same problem after closing my computer over the night in the morning when I wake up and power up my computer, the WD My Book World edition it is not available. I can’t access the WD over web GUI interface, the mapped folders don’t work only thing that work fine is Ping. The problem is the route reports on the log like everything is working. The service of mionet is up and running on port 443 the downloader seems to work too. But I don’t understand what is happening. The with light indicate like it’s running OK.

If I restart the WD it became available in the next moment after finishing to reload. This problem it’s make me mad, because I need the ftp transfer when I’m at work to access my files and don’t work.

The firmwere is the last avaible installed.

Add me to the list, guys! I thought I was the only one. This is extremely annoying. I have a great network with only Vista and Windows 7 PC’s in it that all work great together, so it’s not that.

I have given the drive a static IP address. I read somewhere that this solved the problem for some people. I have a couple of torrents loaded into the drive, and I’ll inform you guys tomorrow morning if this helped anything.

By the way, I also have this problem without the torrent downloading.

Time for bed now.

Nope, it didn’t work. Still the same problem. I can’t access it.

I’m back with new details. If I put my computer in standby or sleep when come back everything seems to work fine. So if I shutdown the PC. See what happen next, but I believe it will not bee good things.

I don’t see how your pc should affect the behaviour of the harddrive.

The problem is most likely around the firmware of the NAS.

I disabled HDD standby, and most of the features that I don’t use.

Then I enabled SSH, and wrote some scripts to internally monitor what’s happening.

So far it seems that some process totally deadlocks. So the userspace processes are basically frozen, they don’t get any cpu time, that’s why it does not respond to SMB, FTP, SSH, Web interface or any other protocol, except ICMP Ping. That is handled immediatelly by the linux kernel, which still gets some time from the cpu to respond to requests.

This could be caused by some bad code, some dead loop or I/O lockup, or a memory leak.

I will try to install some continuous resource monitoring scripts, maybe they will show some tendencies from which I could track down the bad process.

On my device this is happening about weekly. It is used by a complete vmware farm as a VCB backup device, and we also use it to share install images, and ISO images. So it gets some pretty heavy loads.

If anyone tells me that this is for home usage, I will say, ok and then what? If it is sold as a NAS device without indicating any restrictions on the usage or maximum loads, then it should do its job, act as a NAS, and work as a NAS, reliably and continuously. There is no compromise.

That’s a very interesting observation, thanks for sharing. I have a torrent program installed (Transmission), and it happens every few hours. I think downloading Torrents is pretty heavy for this thing as well, with all the connections and stuff.

I’m not an expert  when it comes to Linux, or any coding stuff. But, I noticed in the Twonky server info thingy, that it almost had no memory to work with. I could be talking complete nonsense of course, but it might be something to look at.

I completely agree with you though. This is a NAS, and it should work as advertised.  It doesn’t matter that it’s cheaper than the average NAS, it should do what it promises.

Today I observe a strange behavior of the WD. After I shutdown the PC, and I left to work, I cud access only the Trasnmission torrent from work, FTP and GUI interface still don’t work so first I believe it was from router configuration, but when I arrived at home and start the PC I couldn’t access it from here the FTP & GUI, only Transmission.

So in conclusion I can access HDD if i put my PC in standby. And defenetly it is something on firmwere softwere. I don’t know linux but I’m realy good on MCU programing so i can’t realise when a infinite loop happens.

Have you found anything more yet, dzentai?

Same problem here with certain accounts for instance account ‘Passie’ is generating this error:

01/24 16:19:06  MyBookWE daemon.info afpd[10667]: logout Passie
 01/24 16:19:05  MyBookWE daemon.info afpd[10667]: Setting uid/gid to 0/1000
 01/24 16:19:05  MyBookWE daemon.warn afpd[10667]: Warning: No CNID scheme for volume /DataVolume/Download. Using default.
 01/24 16:19:05  MyBookWE daemon.info afpd[10667]: CNID DB initialized using Sleepycat Software: Berkeley DB 4.2.52: (December 3, 2003)
 01/24 16:19:05  MyBookWE daemon.info afpd[10667]: Setting uid/gid to 0/1000
 01/24 16:19:05  MyBookWE daemon.warn afpd[10667]: Warning: No CNID scheme for volume /DataVolume/Public. Using default.
 01/24 16:19:05  MyBookWE daemon.info afpd[10667]: login Passie (uid 504, gid 1000) AFP3.2
 01/24 16:19:05  MyBookWE daemon.info afpd[10667]: dhx login: Passie

I can only acces the drive with my initial account.

So far I found one very strange thing. Mionet is still running even though I disabled it.

Not just that it is running, but it creates hundreds of such processes:

5176 root      12820 S   /usr/mionet/bin/cvm -Djava.class.path=/usr/mionet/lib

So now I deleted the mionet start script from init.d, and also the twonky media server. I’m not using either of them.

I will get back if I have any results.

well i’m facing exactly the same problem

we have purchased 4 x WD4000H2NC and they all face the same issue.

after a couple of minutes/hours, the device is completely unaccessible.

we need to shutdown the device and power up again to make it work.

piece of ■■■■ :angry:

Add another person to the count of those with this issue.

<set-up: wired connection from Win 7 box to switch, flat network with DHCP server all devices on static leases>

I just received my 1.5 TB MBWE white light a few days ago and all was fine till today. I have successfully done a 36 GB and 546 GB batch file transfer (from Win 7 explorer). I then attempted to transfer another 16GB of files and it has hung after 1 or two files on three tests. The 36GB transfer was composed of 500mb to 2GB files. The 546 GB transfer was composed of 1 to 10 mb files.  I can still ping the drive and after doing a forced shutdown was able to copy ~300mb of 1 -5mb files to the drive. It then failed when trying to copy a 2GB file.

Other things I have noticed:

Mionet does not stay “off” if I uncheck "start at boot) or even if I manually turn it off and then come back to see it’s status a few minutes later.

Even if I do a reboot or shutdown from the Web GUI, on restart Twonky rebuilds the database (I have scan set to -1)

I’ve not had this or similar issues with my HP MediaVault NAS over the past 2 years.

i think i got it fixed.

i managed thru SSH to disable mionet completely.

mionet doesn’t start anymore and my NAS has been copying files for 24hours (without interruption)

4 to 5MBps , it’s slow, but it’s copying :dizzy_face:

I can also confirm, that after completly disabling (removing init.d startup scripts using SSH)  Mionet and Twonky server my NAS is still up and working for 4 days now. But I’m still not sure, lets wait a week!

could you confirm your trasnfer speed (writing)?