Does anyone else have an issue with the fact that it can take up to 7 days for a pr2100 to restart after a firmware uodate?

image Over the years I have purchased at least 6 different NAS products, all with no to minimal issues. This is a truly amazing piece of BAD technology. Without going into all the details, hours upon hours of wasted phone calls with people in India who know nothing beyond what I’ve already researched on their useless support pages. BOTTOM LINE: IF YOU CAN AFFORD TO HAVE A NAS BE DOWN FOR “UP TO 7 DAYS” ON A FIRMWARE UPDATE THEN INDEED BE STUPID ENOUGH TO BUY THIS. Worse, you need to wait as long as it takes to know if there is a problem with the system. If you restart it you start the process from the start again. I am now on my 20th hour on the firmware update (which started automatically). This is not a matter of inconvenience as stated by the support person, this is totally unacceptable! With forty years + of personal computing who would ever think WD would release such an incredibly bad piece of equipment. Sad part is I can no longer trust anything created by Western Digital. End result, no sale on all WD products going forward.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problem. Is your NAS stuck in power cycle waiting for reboot to finish after auto firmware update? If so, you can try disconnecting the power cable to reboot.

What did you ever figure out? I am on my 55th hour of a blue light flashing about every second.

@Murdaug123 The Blue Light Flashing is the file system check running on your device.
It can run for longer than 55 hours depending on the drive capacity, amount of content and the state of the file system (IE: how much checking and repair is needed).

On another note, we’ve made available a BETA release of 2.31.195 that resolves the reboot issue mentioned in this thread.

My Cloud PR2100/PR4100 2.31.195 BETA Firmware for Reboot Issue

It is now on it’s seventh day. I am calling for warranty tomorrow.

In fact I had two WD myCloud EX4 with 16TB.
The first one was rebooting forever after a firmware update.
Fortunately this was within warranty time and it was exchanged.
For my luck the distributor was accepting an exchange against an used QNAP, because the exchanged WD myCloud was new … The QNAP still works.
Now the second WD myCloud is rebooting since 5 days … no Update but getting slower and slower, so I decided to reboot. It was required several times before, everytime everything was OK after the restart.
Since I know, that the RAID can be recovered using any modern LINUX system and I don’t have any warranty left, I’m planning to change that system to an own solution with a Raspberry Pi. It can’t be worser than a WD myCloud and the Raspberry with 2 USB3 fixed disk interfaces should fit into the place of the old WD mainboard.

An other word to the software developers of WD: how is it possible, to get a software at such a poor level out as a production release? I’m sure, it was never tested correctly. There are hangers in the cache management, prohibiting data to be written back to the disks … and others, causing a steady increase of the used memory, ways beyond a reasonable limit, causing swapping, running out of memory and slowing down the system to a state, where it is simply unusable. My hair stood on, while I was observing parts of the machine code …

Oh, it’s coming up right now … I can log in …
Checking disks …
Smart drive information: everything ok.
My files are still there.
It’s working. I hope for some weeks again.

You realized you necroposted into a 3-year old thread right?

Indexing is a function of cloud services - if you turn off cloud services (admittedly a major function); it won’t index. (admittedly - - → the problems with indexing have been present from the inception of the current O/S - - → and we have seen no improvement in the issue)

Right.
There is no actual thread for this problem.
I’ve never used cloud services.
My problem is no indexing problem, but a OS problem.
Bad code.

And there is no solution, except to change the hardware or to configure a Linux system to work with the old one. Well, I will take the simpler one, if the WD system is definitely no more working: replacing the hardware with a Raspberry Pi.

True.

Indexing issues were a HUGE deal a few years back when OS/5 was first released.
Now - - -those that were affected (most) have moved on to other platforms.

I have seen a few threads posting issues with the newest firmware release.

Do you have cloud services turned off? if cloud services are turned on; the device will index regardless if you use cloud services.