Do not update 1.02.10 firmware

youju, you’re welcome. Thank YOU for the info too.

you guys, seems like I got the same problem. but the solution to this does not work for me. I executed the commands with putty, and tried to manually install the renamed 1.02.06. that is linked on page 3. I tells me that the firmware could not be installed. got quite limited time to do all this because after a few minutes there is no more connection to the nas. however, I could save some pics not in case s… hits the fan. another funny story is that it tells me there is version 1.00.14 installed. Is this, because I did a (few) resets with pressiing the power button for 10 secs? any hint very appreciated.

Just got done backrevving to 01.02.06 and it’s looking good so far… Noticed that the root password is reset to welc0me after applying 01.02.06 firmware. Good luck all. Hopefully the next firmware update from WD is more sound!!!

I tried the solution for rolling back the firmware using Putty and it worked wonders for me.  Everything is back to normal including Twonky.  After a shutdown and morning boot, there was not network disconnect with the 1.02.06-FW.  (knock on wood).  Thank you for the workaround posted above!

Hey Danoi,

The reason that the unit tells you you have firmware 1.00.14
installed is because you carried out the commads in Putty that has reset a file
in the unit that holds this information. This is necessary in order to reflash
the unit with another firmware file otherwise you wouldnt be able to do it.

It seems like you have not loaded the new
firmware sucessfully. If i were you I would try and flash the unit agiin. If you
cant do it with firmware version 1.02.06 then try version 1.02.05, there’s a
link in my post on page 4 of this thread.

Good Luck,

Spanners.

I was able to revert back to 1.0.06 but TM and WD_Backup kept giving me an OSServer Error 5.  Everything else seemed fine but since I was getting that error I went back to 1.02.10 again.  That solved the above error but the conection failure is still here.  

I’m beyond fed up with this c r a p

I wish I’d read the posts on hear before I upgraded my firmware ! :frowning:

Unit ahs rebooted and now I have no web or putty access to it.

What do I do now ??

Thanks

Managed to get 1.02.05 flashed and working… :slight_smile:
Anyone got a proper working link to 1.02.06 ??

Thanks

tom_t, if you’ve got 1.02.05 working properly and happy with it, I wouldn’t bother with 1.02.06. Otherwise, the process is the same.

Just adding my voice to the number of disatisfied users who are sitting with a useless NAS since this Firmware upgrade. 

I’m frantically trying to download as many of my 80gb of photos (including wedding pics) as I can, regretting ever hitting the upgrade button. 

try disabling NTP service and setting the date/itme on the drive manually.  some of us are having luck with that

Thanks. I’ll give that a try tonight. Will report back if I have any success. 

Dear Spanners,

thanks a lot for your kiind help. I also tried 1.02.05 linked in your previous post. Doesn´t work for me as it seems, I messed up the original automated update to 1.02.10 as you said. I’ll keep on saving pics and music and likely RMA this thing if they don’t upload a fix for the last firmware soon.

thanks again and good luck to you all!

I have 1.02.06 working via the link to the firmware image on ‘Fileape’ and the step by step instructions posted which use Putty to rename the ‘version’ file which are posted elsewhere in this thread.

Did it last night and this morning when I got up, the drive was still attached to the network and providing access to both the ‘Public’ and ‘Download’ folders as before. No more constant ‘link up’, ‘link down’ messages in the logs!

Kudos to Spanners (for the instructions) and Bourne (link to the image on FileApe’) for your assistance!

(Note 1: I have had to dispense with my usual distrust of downloading firmware from locations other than the manufacturers site such is the priority of getting the device working again - fingers crossed that the image I have just installed is not compromised or trojaned in some way!)

Note 2: Have still not heard anything official from WD despite posting a support request three days ago - not impressed!)

Another one here who foolishly updated my firmware on both on my MBWE without checking this forum.  Hopefully I can change the firmware back down when I get home later - thanks for the pointers.

Just adding another customer who upgraded and wish they hadn’t. Support ticket has been raised.

tom_t how did you manage to install the firmware. I have no access to the drive I wonder how I can reflash the unit or disable the NTP. Any ideas guys?

Hello,

Another one here … maybe if this queue is long enough WD will react faster …

Anyway thanks for the tips on how to downgrade the firmware … I will try this evening … need my drive and I doubt we will have an offical solution in the newt few days …

butter wrote:

tom_t how did you manage to install the firmware. I have no access to the drive I wonder how I can reflash the unit or disable the NTP. Any ideas guys?

Try this:

1. Unplug the drive - power and network cable
  2. Hold down the reset button (the small one that needs a toothepick or paper clip) for 60 seconds 
  3. While still holding down the reset button, plug the power cable back in continue to hold down the reset button for another 60 seconds
  4. Plug the network cable back in.  It’s now ok to release the reset button

The drive will reboot and reset the admin password and I think it’s IP address back to a dynamic one.  All your other settings should still be there as well as your data.

To butter

For me, the connection lasts at best an hour, so plenty of time to connect :-), but you never know when it is going to disconnected

What I do is I shut down my drive manually (power button for 10 sec) then unplug the ethernet cable before turning it back on … when the drive has powered up, I plug the ethernet cable again, and up it is after a few sec …

You should be able to access it before it is down again …