Do not update 1.02.10 firmware

I´d upgraded my MyBook World Edition (Whitelight, Single Drive) last night with the latest firmware from WDC (01.02.10). Everything ran Ok. Since that, the device keeps going off the network, sometimes it returns if I unplug/replug the network cable. In other cases, I have to reboot the system.Any tips on what is going on?Is it possible to return to the previous firmware? Where to get the FW?

me too! **bleep**.

I wrote to wd

but will try the firmware?:mansad:

from:  http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-390544/firmware-01-02-10-makes-my-mybook-we-loses-connectivity

2 Likes

Same Problem here.

Need a fix please

1 Like

Another big problem…cannot connect to Twonky Media Server @ port 9000 after upgrading to 1.02.10…

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

1 Like

If you have a TM backup running, stop it. Also, login to the twonky media server (server.local:9000) and restart twonky. That should help with TWONKY issues as it appears that the AFP changes may have, (in some way), affected twonky.

I had the same problem with mine. I had to manually power my drive down. I initially did it because my drive was being unresponsive, but it seems to have fixed everything that a software restart did not. Afterwards port 9000 was up and running on my Mac and PS3. 

Bonne wrote:

I´d upgraded my MyBook World Edition (Whitelight, Single Drive) last night with the latest firmware from WDC (01.02.10). Everything ran Ok. Since that, the device keeps going off the network, sometimes it returns if I unplug/replug the network cable. In other cases, I have to reboot the system.Any tips on what is going on?Is it possible to return to the previous firmware? Where to get the FW?

me too! **bleep**.

I wrote to wd

but will try the firmware?:mansad:

from:  http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-390544/firmware-01-02-10-makes-my-mybook-we-loses-connectivity

+1 to the original poster.

I have exactly the same problem since updating to the new firmware.

The logs show ‘eth 1 up’, ‘eth1 down’ and various attempts at negotiating 10/100 Mbps. This happens repeatedly.

Following a full power down and restart, the My Book World works for about 5 mins and then returns to the state of repeatedly attempting to negotiate a connection.

The router (Sky ISP provided Sagem device) ‘attached devices’ sometime shows the My Book World connected and sometimes not.

Nothing else has changed on my home network - this problem only started since I upgraded to the 1.02.10 firmware.

Can anyone tell me whether (a) it’s possible to return to the previous firmware manually (which had no issues whatsoever) or alternatively (b) whether a full factory reset will return the device to the previous firmware version?

At the minute I have a NAS device that I cannot use at all which is immensely frustrating.

TIA for any help anyone can give me.

Yep, I broke the golden rule of “if in ain’t broke don’t fix it”. Same problems as described happening here to.

Is it possible to downgrade?

Well… it´s seems that WD has release a buggy firmware. Would somebody be gentle to point to us where to get the previous one and if it is safe to manually flash it… since we have warnings to not do it? 

I invite everyone who is in the same situation to post a word to WD to force them to show us a quick workaround on this. It´s no acceptable to have a device that simply concentrate every media in my home, out of order due a buggy firmware.

madamodo wrote:

I had the same problem with mine. I had to manually power my drive down. I initially did it because my drive was being unresponsive, but it seems to have fixed everything that a software restart did not. Afterwards port 9000 was up and running on my Mac and PS3. 

Yes, correct, after a restart all seems to be still correct.

Thank you so much and have a nice day!

Got an answer from WD.

1. The firmware is not downgradable… So this defines that we won´t have an workaround solution soon…

2. They asked me to reset the unit using the reset button. Well, I´ve already done this in the first place and still got the problem. You can do this to see if the magic works for you.

Browsing the forum, got this note about the Twonky issue. 

“Ok solution found…so far after calling WD Tech Support.  Apparently the drive was connected to a 5-port power strip with only 3 other devices (linksys wireless router, linksys 4-port switch, and comcast cable modem).  The service tech suggested plugging the WD MyBook into the wall outlet without a power-strip and after a restart, I can access the media server (twonky) just fine.  Hopefully this will still work tomorrow morning.  I’ll post an update then.”

Humm… I´ll try to plug my WD unit into the wall outlet… You never know… If this works for this guy, putting twonky again on the road, and it seems that twonky is the root cause of the connectivity issue describe here… It can be a solution.

I wish that I had seen this thread last night… A buggy firmware?!! How’s it possible?! What are you WD guys doing out there?! I’ve bought my NAS last week and since then I had many of problems with it… Stop those false adverts about your network storages out there.

I have the same problem. Whenever I reset, it works fine for some time and then loses the connection. But the LEDs show that the drive is working fine. WD please fix it as soon as possible. We cannot reset each and everytime.

I have the same problem. Whenever I reset, it works fine for some time and then loses the connection. But the LEDs show that the drive is working fine. WD please fix it as soon as possible. We cannot reset each and everytime.

unofficial firmware…

tonight I try

Fantastic… Tell us the results after the test.

This seems the only hope for us. WD told me to return the unit under RMA!!!

same here.  i’ve already said enough about that option though :stuck_out_tongue:

I see that it says “unofficial”, and given WD’s statements about not being able to roll back firmware, how is this going to work?  Is this a WD firmware or someone’s custom built one?  The previous firmware I was on 1.02.06, not 1.02.05…

I have tested the version 01-02-05. If I install Feature Pack Manager I have the same problem as I had with 01-02-10 version. If I do not - it seems it works stable.

PS
Does anyone know where can I find other versions? As I remember I had 01-02-06 version before the last update.
PPS
What does RMA mean?

Cool! It seems that you can downgrade the fw. Nice news.  It seems that we´re in an official solution for an official bug.

You should try to use features pack without transmission. 

RMA stands for Return Merchandise Authorization.

My Book® World Edition™ & My Book World Edition II

Release Notes for Firmware 01.02.10

Firmware Version 01.02.10•

Resolved issue with Apple® Time Machine® incompatibility in Mac OS® X Lion™ update

Add a lot of  problem                              <<<<<<<<<<<ADD THIS LINE PLEASE!!!

Firmware Version 01.02.06• Updated Mionet® client version to 4.3.0.8 to support WD Photos™ photos viewer app• Updated TwonkyMedia™ Server version 5.1.9 to fix MKV compatibility issue

Firmware Version 01.01.16• Updated Windows® 7 DMS compliance

Firmware Version 01.01.14• Supports Enhanced CTorrent, an Open Source BitTorrent™ client• Updated TwonkyMedia Server version 5.1 for compatibility and support for Windows 7