Device keeps disconnecting from network

Hello,

Apologies if this issue has already been posted.

I have a 4TB MyCloud which worked fine for months, but recently it has been disconnecting from my network. It appears the only thing that fixes this is a power cycle. This fix is only temporary as the device will disconnect the following day. The LED in the front of the unit is a solid blue, yet I am unable to see it in my network.

The same issue was resolved in this thread:

The solution was a firmware update.

I am currently running Firmware Version 04.04.01-112

The device says my firmware is up to date.

Can someone please assist/advise?

Thanks!

Have you tried disabling the sleep timer and setting a static IP configuration in the Dashboard?

Disconnecting once a day could be the default DHCP timeout of 24 hours; your router may be allocating a new IP address each time.

Rather than setting a static IP at the Dashboard, I use my router’s control interface to set an infinite timeout for the address allocated to the MyCloud .

I am running firmware v04.04.04-101 and starting having My Cloud disconnecting and reconnecting frequently. I have set the My Cloud to a static IP, thought that helped, but did not correct the problem. I may have helped, but hard to tell since once it starts to disconnect and reconnect, it does it frequently for some time, which varies.
I am about to the point of trashing the My Cloud and moving to another device type. I hate to do that as I have several WD devices I currently use and like to keep things in the same family / supplier. However, if I cannot get the My Cloud to stay connected, it has to go.

It has been a while since I put in my two cents worth, but I have to say this, the cloud going offline is not the fault of the my cloud. The only time that I found fault with the Cloud was when you reboot your cloud with a USB drive attached or when it was too busy indexing all your music/photos/movie files; this problem you can identify with the device clicking away too busy to acknowledge your presence. This doesn’t happen too often these days with the latest firmware but it is best to detach the USB drive when updating your firmware or when rebooting. If the drive seems quiet and the blue light is on with blinking green light on the back, then your device is good to go.

Thus this leaves only a handful of problem identifiers

1. router
    a. check that it is giving your cloud a proper IP or if you are giving it a static ip, it has to be outside the range of dynamic ips given by the router. i.e. router DHCP assigns 192.168.0.10 - 192-168.0.100 and your static ips can be 192.168.0.150
    b. check your date and time on your router.
    c. check your date and time on your cloud. Mismatch date and time could expire your ip outside the proper renewal time and causes your cloud to disappear.
    d. check your ethernet cables
    e. power cycle your router, wifi extender etc.
    f. check all your devices for their ips. I’ve noticed that windows 10 doesn’t accept reserved ips from the router for some reason.
    g. use reserve ips from the router to save you time. Again assign reserve ips outside the DHCP range.
    h. if you use static ips, don’t assign the ip that it was given to it by the DHCP. All kinds of conflicts will result in this because your router will think that the ip is free and will give it to the next device that requests the ip and your Cloud will think it has a static ip and won’t be able to change, meanwhile your cloud disappears from the network.
    i. use your router logs to check which ips are assigned.
    j. try adding a 4/8-port switch between your router and all your devices (sometimes the router when it loses the internet, resets itself, causing devices to be lost).
  2. the cable. swap your cable with another device
  3. other attached devices. Pull everyone off the network and leave only your computer and the cloud.
  4. other attached routers or wifi-extenders. If you have multiple networks this really gets convoluted, so be sure to know what you are doing. If not, pull everything off and simplify and start with the basics.

I cannot think of anything else off the top of my head, but it is definitely a fault of your network and not of your cloud. Although if you disagree, tossing the cloud into the cloud out your window will definitely make you feel better for a few minutes.

Good luck

Thanks very much for your notes on the WD My Cloud “Device keeps disconnecting from network”. i had spent many hrs on it and finally the solution was in your notes. I gave the WD device a static IP address 192.168.0.150 and Windows 10 immediately accepted the device on my network and so I was able to backup my whole laptop at 3GB per min. I am very pleased with WD MyCloud Personal 4TB. Take care.